Ur best guess on when nxt Imac upgrade & more.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have to buy a Imac for someone in the next few months and was wondering when the next upgrade is due and what might be in it for new imacs.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Guesses only. Higher chip speeds, upgraded graphics card, lower prices. Possibly a 19" screen along with 17". If 15" remains, lower price of about $1199. Guesses only, of course, and a September release.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I would *hope* that if the iMac is offered with a larger screen it would be the 20". Why a 19" when an extra inch would mean 1 less part#/screen size?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I would *hope* that if the iMac is offered with a larger screen it would be the 20". Why a 19" when an extra inch would mean 1 less part#/screen size?

Because of the way LCD panels are manufactured, and the problem of getting good production yields as sizes increase, extra LCD inches do not come cheaply.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I agree, shetline. But, why not say...hey (LCD manufacturers), can you bump up production on the 20 inchers (which are already being produced for Apple), instead of adding an entirely new config to the manufacturing equation?

Production yields on *one* config would probably be more effective than two, no?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    oops. I mis-spoke in my initial reply. I meant one MORE part#/screen size. Sorry.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Damn DP.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    coscos Posts: 99member
    I haven't the foggiest idea about dates but one thing we can be pretty sure of is that the iMac won't be hampered by a false MHz ceiling anymore.

Before, Apple couldn't have their consumer computers outpacing the pro hardware so they were always scaled back with regard to MHz. However, with G5 hardware in the works... thats no longer the case

I anticipate that with each successive iMac update, we will see them maxed out with whatever is the latest G4 chip at the time.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    1.25 Ghz, 512 Mb ram in top-end. 64 Mb Radeon 9000 in top-end. A bit lower prices.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Whatever the screen size it is dependent on the current manufacturing parameters. Screens are made in large sheets and not individually.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

I haven't the foggiest idea about dates but one thing we can be pretty sure of is that the iMac won't be hampered by a false MHz ceiling anymore.

That assumes it was a "false" ceiling. The fastest G4s in existence are 1.42GHz, and by many accounts they were very expensive (possibly why Apple is only offering 1.25 G4s now). iMacs may go to 1.2 or 1.25, but I wouldn't expect a significant performance boost until they get G5s.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My WAG:

15.4" wide aspect Combo 1 GHz PPC 7457 $1199

17" SuperDrive 1.2 GHz $1699

These things should be out in August but probably Sept.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    why doesnt apple put 1 ghz G5's in the imac.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Here is what I would like to see with the next rev of the iMacs.

Hardware Enhancements:

1.5 Ghz G4 or G5

160 Gig HD

128MB Video Card

19" Monitor - Can rotate to Portrait

3 USB 2.0 ports on board

2 USB 2.0 ports on Keyboard

2 FW 400 / 1 FW 800

4x SLOT loading Superdrive

Bluetooth & AE built in

10/100/1000 Ethernet

TV in/out port

FM Antenna

If technology allows for a smaller base then I would like to add the following things, if not, then make the base larger to add these items.

Take out the mono speaker and place the pro speakers to the left and right of the Silver Apple logo. The actual speaker is pretty small so I don't think this would be hard. Above the Apple Logo, have an inlayed dock for the iPod built right into the iMac base. This may require the neck of the iMac to be taller, but that is ok, the monitor is bigger. I do realize that if the ipod was docked, it would limit the monitor bending down, but a user could still perform this by removing the iPod.

Also, it would also be nice to have a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Bluetooth perhaps, but the total price of the iMac would not exceed 2000USD.

Software enhancements:

1) PVR software with ability to program over .Mac service. A better Apple Video Player is needed. Apple had this program a long time ago, bring it back. Every other PC has this built in now.

2) Much Better QT Broadcaster. This is an untapped software program.

3) Telephone / Answering machine software. Ability to Check messages through .Mac service. Compatable with bluetooth headset.

4) VoIP service if on Broadband and/or on .Mac service.

5) Bring back Kidsafe and iPreview to .Mac service.

6) Speech Dictation software.

more to come....
  • Reply 14 of 20
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robby

why doesnt apple put 1 ghz G5's in the imac.

My guess is that IBM is having good yealds at high clock rates on the 970, so Apple may only have the option for a 1.6 Ghz at the low end. The chip would have to be downclocked 1.6 chip, which would intice all of the techies to reclock them to the 1.6 and melt their iMacs...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

That assumes it was a "false" ceiling. The fastest G4s in existence are 1.42GHz, and by many accounts they were very expensive (possibly why Apple is only offering 1.25 G4s now). iMacs may go to 1.2 or 1.25, but I wouldn't expect a significant performance boost until they get G5s.

Your assuming the cost is the reason apple only offers 1.2ghz g4 powermacs...what if apple is using all the 1.4s it can get its hands on to throw them into the imac
  • Reply 16 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

Your assuming the cost is the reason apple only offers 1.2ghz g4 powermacs...what if apple is using all the 1.4s it can get its hands on to throw them into the imac

Why would they be using a hot, rare, pricey CPU for the iMac with the 7457 right around the corner and both the 90nm 970 and a "high performance" Mot PowerPC in the wings?

The 1.42GHz XPC7455 is a beast. If Apple's going to engineer around that they might as well engineer around a 970. In either case, for now, you could forget about a price drop.

I hate to say it, but the iMac's gone 12 solid months between updates before...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The best upgrade Apple could do to the iMac is a serious price drop, 300-500USD, right friggin NOW!. All the PB's from the Ti867 down are a better deal (depending on need), both the 12's are certainly a better deal, giving you much the same performance with the added portability AND monitor spanning. The Single 1.25Ghz tower is a better deal, the eMac's are crap, and even they're seen by many as a better deal.

The 970 in an iMac is patently uniteresting. The iMac is supposed to be an affordable "consumer" machine. The current iMac is NOT affordable.

The 7457 and/or future high performance moto variant is much more interesting if it allows for a small cool CHEAP! iMac.

Between G5 shipping times and the new G5 entry price, it should be fairly obvious that the G5 is neither as cool nor as cheap as some wanted to believe.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The 970 in an iMac is patently uniteresting. The iMac is supposed to be an affordable "consumer" machine. The current iMac is NOT affordable.

The iMac can be repositioned, and it's clear that Apple reacted to the demand for the eMac by making room for both: The eMac went down, the iMac went up.

Quote:

The 7457 and/or future high performance moto variant is much more interesting if it allows for a small cool CHEAP! iMac.

The last word from an Apple employee was that the "neck" was the most expensive and most difficult part in the machine, and since it's what the whole machine is built around it's not going away soon. A 7457 might allow Apple to drop the price somewhat, or use better components and keep the same price...

Quote:

Between G5 shipping times and the new G5 entry price, it should be fairly obvious that the G5 is neither as cool nor as cheap as some wanted to believe.

There are too many variables in play to use the price of the PowerMac as a reliable indicator of the cost of the 970, but consider the price delta, which is relatively small between a single 1.6 and a dual 2.0 (let alone the single 1.8 and the dual!). If the high-end chip doesn't cost that much more than the low-end chip, that's a pretty good indication that none of the chips are costly to begin with.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I wld thnk tht th nw Imac would have a G4 7457 & come l8r ths yr. Ur probly best bying 1 then.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Any idea on bus speeds? Isn't the top end a 133Mhz bus? Is it possible the 167(?)Mhz bus in the "old" G4 PowerMac will be moved into the iMac?

Will the G4 speeds rumored to be coming in the PowerBook also be available in the iMac?

I want to buy the iMac, but the current price to performance ratio just doesn't justify the price. I am hoping a fall upgrade for the school season is in the works.