Loop Rumors: iSight To Be Built-In To Future Apple Displays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, that would certainly be a very good possibility. An iMac with built in camera/mic would be a great selling point. Next year possibly when the iMac undergoes a design change?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I think the iSight has to shrink in depth considerably before it gets built in to any displays. Portables would be first, I think.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    It wouldn't nessecarily have to be smaller to fit. It's supposed to swivel around not stay stationary, maybe it can fold out instead?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

I think the iSight has to shrink in depth considerably before it gets built in to any displays.

Built in doesn't mean it can't stick out in front or in back. Also, optics can be adjusted to accomodate a shorter focal length. A fold out camera, as suggested above, could be a possibiltiy. Apple, we can sure, will come up with an elegant design.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    some things are better left unintegrated. and a camera is one of those things
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:

some things are better left unintegrated. and a camera is one of those thing

Go tell that to the cell phone industry and PDA manufacturers!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    More likely it will be bundled with certain iMacs like the Pro Speakers were.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joesph mother

More likely it will be bundled with certain iMacs like the Pro Speakers were.

Right, the iSight won't be integrated but a mounting system might. No more yucky adhesives.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Perhaps Danika can do a new video to show off these displays when they arrive?

What's this about "adhesives"? I was under the impression it was some sort of suction/friction deal that kept it on the back of LCDs?

• Reply 9 of 36
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't think Apple would build the camera into the display. Rather, I think they would build the mount into the display; camera optional. No adhesive-mounted stand!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    LCD mounting requires adhesive. Go here for explanation. (Not as bad as you think).
  • Reply 11 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Too many people still don't have broadband, which is a requirement for the camera.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Broadband use is increasing. Apple said about 30% of Mac users are on broadband. With iSight it just may make people decide to switch. Free video phone calls are very appealing.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The problem is the cost of broadband on a monthly basis may negate any savings in long distance charges for a lot of people.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    People are right that the lens would have to be movable, so the attachment would probably be the integrated part, with the camera itself still detachable or at least movable. If it's not detachable, they might as well move the microphones at the back of the current model to opposite ends of the monitor, as it would probably help isolate the voice and reduce the camera's depth.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

The problem is the cost of broadband on a monthly basis may negate any savings in long distance charges for a lot of people.

Sure, if the only thing you use broadband for is video conferencing. Broadband is a no brainer investment for any computer user, the fact that it also enables high quality video conferencing is just a freebie.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

It wouldn't nessecarily have to be smaller to fit. It's supposed to swivel around not stay stationary, maybe it can fold out instead?

Yeah, that'll look good.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I think built in 'iSight' is a fantastic idea.

Wonder if it could be built into a laptop?

It would be a competitive reason to buy an Apple laptop over a Wintel laptop.

Re: it being in Apple's displays. Good idea. Without the need for an iSight to further clutter up your desktop. (Not that an iSight is anyway inelegant, mind...)

Let's see if Apple does it. It wouldn't surprise me, they did the luminous blue glow keyboard...

The Apple displays look nice...but in light of the POWER Mac design I think we're due for something stunning...built in iSight would be the icing on the cake.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Remember, a webcam can be used to take pictures too... It doesnt require iChat to work...

I think that it would be quite a cool idea to have it build in..

I just dont think that it would fit inside a Powerbook/iBook/iMac screen, without having some kind of a 'bulk' on the backside..
  • Reply 19 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Remember, a webcam can be used to take pictures too... It doesnt require iChat to work...

So wouldn't that be a reason to NOT make it attached to your monitor?

This would be stupid. They're going to add $100 to every monitor despite the fact that the majority won't be able to videochat?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    I think having a camera mounted in the iMac screen would rock, especially since the screen can be adjusted so easily. As for size they could use a folded optical system like the one in the Minolta DiMAGE Xt.

As for the cost of broadband, it is dropping. My Verizon DSL is only 35 bucks a month.