For Groverat - Men take employers to court over dress code

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dress smartly...it's the law

Just an example of how men are getting the shaft at work.

I have often complained to my fellow teachers that if I showed up in flip-flops, long shorts (capri pants) and a wide strapped tank top, (think sun dresses or certain shirts) I would get fired while they get no problems from it day after day.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm shocked we don't see the same thing in this country. I guess there's no way for a lawyer to make money on it?

I don't know why people don't want to look good at work. I've been stepping up my level of dress over the last year. But I do work with the public so ...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I've been fired for the dress I wear to work, not even at work. Yes, what I wore on the way to work, even though I dressed in business attire even on 'casual Fridays.'

Yes.

I was fired because in winter I wore boots to work, and then changed to work shoes after I arrived. In the summer I wore gym shoes to work, before I could change into work shoes.

Yes, I would show up at 7:30, even though I officially started at 8:00, just so I could be 100% working by 7:45. In my normal work attire.

But I was still fired.

Yes, it's wrong, and if I thought I could sue and win, I would.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I've been fired for the dress I wear to work, not even at work. Yes, what I wore on the way to work, even though I dressed in business attire even on 'casual Fridays.'

Yes.

I was fired because in winter I wore boots to work, and then changed to work shoes after I arrived. In the summer I wore gym shoes to work, before I could change into work shoes.

Yes, I would show up at 7:30, even though I officially started at 8:00, just so I could be 100% working by 7:45. In my normal work attire.

But I was still fired.

Yes, it's wrong, and if I thought I could sue and win, I would.

Bunge,

Beaten by the cops... fired without cause... what an effect you must have on people.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Bunge,

Beaten by the cops... fired without cause... what an effect you must have on people.

No shit! I should write a book!

It was a sad firing, not because I wanted to keep the job, but it was pathetic that someone could be fired for such sad reasoning. It was funny at the same time, almost unbelievable. And I haven't been beaten since. Maybe there's some correlation.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Maybe that's just the reason they gave you?

You could have sued and you may have won but most states you can be fired for any reason other than race. It's true. You can be fired for nothing more than the boss not liking you anymore or him wanting to give the job to someone else.