66MHz PCI-Almost Definite

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From <a href="http://www.aja.com/kona.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.aja.com/kona.htm</a>;

[quote]

* KONA-HD requires a 66Mhz PCI slot for dual-stream effects, Mac G4 is currently a 33Mhz PCI bus.

<hr></blockquote>

According to the July 2002 issue of MacWorld, this card is shipping this summer.

What this means is that the next PowerMacs will, to support this card, have 66MHz PCI...at least.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by qazII:

<strong>From <a href="http://www.aja.com/kona.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.aja.com/kona.htm</a>;

According to the July 2002 issue of MacWorld, this card is shipping this summer.

What this means is that the next PowerMacs will, to support this card, have 66MHz PCI...at least.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good call qazII... Now if we could only find a product that required 1.6Ghz or faster G4's and we'd be all set!

Dave
  • Reply 1 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well the Xserve has a 66MHz 64bit PCI slot. So technically you can use that as the worksation.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Well the Xserve has a 66MHz 64bit PCI slot. So technically you can use that as the worksation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think that's what they intended. For example, look at the disk systems section:

[quote]

200 MB/sec sustained (8 Seagate Cheetah 15k RPM)* ATTO UL3D Ultra 160 ATTO UL4D Ultra 320 ATTO FC 3300/3305 2Gb Fibre Ch

<hr></blockquote>

The Xserve theoretical peak performance is 266MBps, so I doubt you'd get 200MBps sustained.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by qazII:

<strong>

The Xserve theoretical peak performance is 266MBps, so I doubt you'd get 200MBps sustained.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Considering the Xserve's DMA engine and 1 GB/sec of "extra" memory bandwidth, you might. Its PCI implementation is supposed to be quite good.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I may be wrong, but isn't the peak throughput of a 66Mhz-64bit PCI slot 533MBps ?

Maybe the theoretical peak is limited by the choice of HDD controller. Are those 4 independent ATA-100 controllers running through a 64bit-66Mhz controller or are they running through a 32/66 or perhaps 64/33 controller?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I also spotted this on that page:

"KONA cards offer native OS X six channel*,24-bit AES/EBU digital audio at 48kHz to support 5.1 Dolby? Digital production"

"*Final Cut Pro 3 currently supports 2-channel audio only."

[quote]

Clarity in sight and sound - that's the promise of the KONA-SD and HD. Backwards compatible and future proof, KONA cards offer native OS X six channel*, 24-bit AES/EBU digital audio at 48kHz to support 5.1 Dolby? Digital production. KONA-SD and HD audio inputs include hardware sample-rate conversion to allow asynchronous or even different sample rates (32-96kHz), eliminating annoying synchronization hassles and unwelcome snaps, crackles, and pops.

*Final Cut Pro 3 currently supports 2-channel audio only.

<hr></blockquote>

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 8
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    Question: If I recall correctly, the blue and white G3 towers had a single 66mhz pci slot to accommodate the ATI Video card. This was pre-AGP on the mac. I have not owned one since then...did they drop it in favor of the AGP or simply add AGP??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by warpd:

<strong>Question: If I recall correctly, the blue and white G3 towers had a single 66mhz pci slot to accommodate the ATI Video card. This was pre-AGP on the mac. I have not owned one since then...did they drop it in favor of the AGP or simply add AGP??</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was dropped. The recent PowerMacs have a 33 MHz 64-bit slot, I believe. The Xserve raises that to 66 MHz 64-bit.

PCI is multiplexed, isn't it? Doesn't that cut its maximum throughput to half what you would calculate (528/2 = 264)?