Kobe Bryant charged with sexual assault-surprised?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not really. While seen outwardly as the perfect family man, he's human afterall.

I'm not sure about the assault charges, but he has admitted to adultery. And if you've seen his wife, you wonder why. But with so many women practically throwing themselves at NBA (and other athletes) players, I suppose they for a moment, forget that they're not superman.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 147
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I know nothing about this case but I'd bet the woman has a lawyer and a civil case ready to go.
  • Reply 2 of 147
    Not really. But you have to wait and see.
  • Reply 3 of 147
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    At this point, who really knows?

Strike #1 against him: He did cheat on his wife.

Strike #2 against him: Black man, white girl. It shouldn't make a difference, but you know it will. No way the defense will allow the trial to be held anywhere in Colorado other than Denver...most likely it'll be out of state.

#1 throws all preconceptions about his clean image out the window. A for his wife...I don't know...she doesn't do it for me. I think it's the eyebrows.
  • Reply 4 of 147
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Strike #2 against him: Black man, white girl. It shouldn't make a difference, but you know it will. No way the defense will allow the trial to be held anywhere in Colorado other than Denver...most likely it'll be out of state.

#1 throws all preconceptions about his clean image out the window. A for his wife...I don't know...she doesn't do it for me. I think it's the eyebrows.

Hmm...I wasn't aware the woman in question was white.

Who knows if it was consentual...it may have started out that way and got out of control. Happens alot where the guy is getting the "go" signal and suddenly is told to stop. Should stop, but kinda of difficult to if you know what I mean.

As far as his wife is concerned, no she's not Halle Berry, but she's a pretty woman.
  • Reply 5 of 147
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Oh My god.
  • Reply 6 of 147
    it can't go out of state.
  • Reply 7 of 147
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I hate to say this, but perhaps this will wipe that cocky-ass arrogant look off his face. I seriously cannot STAND this guy. I'll say this for him: He came across as genuine during his press conference.
  • Reply 8 of 147
    i thought he looked genuinely pissed off at the press conference. that thing he was doing with his mouth, one second he looked like he was trying to keep from crying the next second it looked like he was trying to keep from punching someone.

and his words to his wife?

("you're a piece of my heart, you're the air that i breathe"? i thought he was going to start singing an air supply tune)

also it looked like he was semi-coached, like his lawyers had some bullet points for him to hit and he hit them.

the d.a. looked like a real opportunist, during his news conference (was it a new suit?) you could just tell he was thinking, "i'm going to be on nightline, this is my ticket to the big time"

the defense's big problem? this girl is no nba groupie gold-digger.
  • Reply 9 of 147
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

and his words to his wife?

("you're a piece of my heart, you're the air that i breathe"? i thought he was going to start singing an air supply tune)

Quote:

the defense's big problem? this girl is no nba groupie gold-digger.

I've already heard his defenders say that she was on Star Search looking to become famous.
  • Reply 10 of 147
    i guess what i meant is he came to her town not vice versa,

i've "heard" a lot of things about this girl. she's in for a long haul.
  • Reply 11 of 147
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i guess what i meant is he came to her town not vice versa,

i've "heard" a lot of things about this girl. she's in for a long haul.

Well, she was willfully in his room at an odd hour of night. What did she expect? Chit-chat and a cup of tea?
  • Reply 12 of 147
    kobe wants you on his jury!
  • Reply 13 of 147
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I can't imagine Kobe needing to force himself on anyone. Wouldn't like 8 out of 10 girls at any club be at his beck and call?

I'll bet this is settled out of court for a huge amount of money.

Jeff
  • Reply 14 of 147
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

I'll bet this is settled out of court for a huge amount of money.

I'm sure he wishes he could do that.
  • Reply 15 of 147
    One thing is for sure, guilty or not, he is about to lose a lot of endorsement money. No company wants someone charged with rape as their spokesperson.

His press conference was a disgrace. He did look like was trying to stir up some genuine remorse but it looked more like he was so angry that anyone would; 1. Dare say no to the advances of the great Kobe Bryant and 2. Dare accuse the great Kobe Bryant of any wrong doing.

And anyone saying, "what did she expect going up to his room" really needs <removed>. Women have a hard enough time mustering up the courage to report sexual assault that they really don't need hear shite like that or "she was dressed like a slut, she had it coming"

Women only report about 2-5% of all sexual assaults and a big reason is that kind of mentality.

Edited for undue harsh tone.
  • Reply 16 of 147
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "Well, she was willfully in his room at an odd hour of night. What did she expect? Chit-chat and a cup of tea?"

I think she's claiming that she was doing him a favor by coming up for room service--after all, he called for it and that *is* her job.

"I'll bet this is settled out of court for a huge amount of money."

This is not a civil trial--this is to determine if he goes to prison.

I am awaiting more news from the case, but from where I stand it sounds like the prosecution has more than enough evidence to proceed, and Mr. Bryant will be spending a great deal on the best defense money can buy him.
  • Reply 17 of 147
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

One thing is for sure, guilty or not, he is about to lose a lot of endorsement money. No company wants someone charged with rape as their spokesperson.

I don't know about that. Kobe's name didn't sell like others in the NBA. Many claim is was because he didn't have a lot of people's respect -- rich, travelled the world, seems to be a Good Guy?. Compare to say Iverson or Kidd. While his adultery alone is disgusting enough for me to lose a lot of respect for him, I might also say that he might sell a lot more Sprite and Adidas (or whatever his shoe company is now) now that he is a "bad boy." You could easily spin it like Bill Clinton was able to, or for that matter, OJ Simpson.
  • Reply 18 of 147
    Having a Bad Boy image because you're violent and sometimes wave a gun around is different then being the Bad Boy that likes to rape women, I hope.
  • Reply 19 of 147
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Kobe now has STREET CRED!
  • Reply 20 of 147
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Kobe now has STREET CRED!

i was thinking that too! maybe some teammates will hang out with him now. he's a notorious loner, and many of his teammates have thought he was a little "nancy".