Copland

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Where can i find out more about copland?

how well was it documented, i am curious of some of the features and how far it got before it was canned...is thre detailed info about it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    *bump*

nobody? this will be my last bump of course
  • Reply 2 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Go here.

P.S. Try Google for more sites.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I posted this link a while ago. But here it is again it's an episode of computer chronicles from that movie archive site. They demo Copland in the episode. And now they finally have a QT stream instead of that crappy Real Player shite.

http://www.archive.org/movies/detail...lectionid=1313
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Holy Crap! Do not download the QT version of this episode. The sound is effed up. It sounds like a squirrel on a crystal meth bender. Or maybe you should download it, it's kinda funny.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I don't remember much about copland, but wasn't it the precursor to Rhapsody? I think you'd be able to find more info about Rhapsody than copland.

Boy, you must really be getting bored. Find a job.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    It was supposed to be Mac OS 8... before Mac OS 8. Tons of R&D were wasted on it, at which point Rhapsody was the next big thing. Then, I remember being at the Apple Market Center when Jobs announced that Rhapsody was dead, and here comes Carbon. All of us there about passed out, watching another "next big thing" kick the bucket.

There was a Copland developer CD on ebay. I know the guy who bought it, he would probably burn you a copy for a price. You need two macs to run it though. Old school macs, like x100 series.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Keep in mind that the "demo" of Copland shown in that episode of Computer Chronicles is nothing more than a canned Director (remeber that app?) animation. The person "demo-ing" Copland is doing nothing more than talking while the animation plays. There is no actual running code shown.

You can find those demo animations on the web if you look hard enough. They came on a CD bundled with the Apple-published book "Mac OS 8 Revealed", among other things.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    I really recommend the book "Apple Confidential" by Owen Linzmayer, if you'd like to learn more about Copland.

Apparently, Apple was able to get to a point where they had a working "tech demo" of Copland, which wasn't a Director app but an actual OS (it was still far from usable, though).

IIRC, when OSX/Rhapsody came to the forefront, the feature set was beyond even what Copland's successor, Gershwin, was to have.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    alex_kacalex_kac Posts: 58member
    When I worked at Apple 1994-1996, I was able to play with Copland for awhile. It did require two machines - but was usable for up to 15 minutes straight. I actually had it installed on my Mac in my cube there. The bootup screen was also REALLY cool. I do wish OS X had that bootup screen

It was actually pretty cool. More of a tech demo than anything else though. The search with v-twin was amazing. That's the one thing that actually worked properly I still wish we could save our searches like you could with Copland.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

It was supposed to be Mac OS 8... before Mac OS 8. Tons of R&D were wasted on it, at which point Rhapsody was the next big thing. Then, I remember being at the Apple Market Center when Jobs announced that Rhapsody was dead, and here comes Carbon. All of us there about passed out, watching another "next big thing" kick the bucket.

Rhapsody dead? You do know that Mac OS X is mainly Rhapsody + Carbon.

Apple didn't waste R&D on Rhapsody.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Rhapsody dead? You do know that Mac OS X is mainly Rhapsody + Carbon.

Apple didn't waste R&D on Rhapsody.

I didn't say Rhapsody was a waste of R&D, now did I? What I said was that one day back in the 90's, after talking about how wonderful the Yellow Box was going to be, Jobs announced over a live satellite feed that we were changing strategies again. Hearing that back then was scary.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    In the "demo" was that a precursor to fast-user switching or was it just a fancy appearance manager? When they show that, I thought I saw a Log Out button. Just asking because 1995 was the year the Apple first filed their patent for the concept.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Copland was supposed to catch up with all the other "serious" operating systems out there (Win9x was not a "serious" OS) and add multiple users. *Gasp* Even Copland! I think the way it was supposedly done was more akin to the OS 9 multiple users than to fast user switching in Panther.