Honest question about requesting to be a Moderator

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Why is it so bad to request to be a moderator? I don't want to be one, but I think it's interesting how Brad reacted to nx7oe (sp?) and his/her thread. If he/she was being a "nuisance" elsewhere, fine. I just don't understand the swift comments and action taken in that thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I believe brad was joking a bit
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Why is it so bad to request to be a moderator?

There is not an open, rolling admission for moderators. Current mods and admins pick new mods on an as needed basis. As James has said in threads past, the wise man doesn't trust a weapon to the person who enjoys wielding it.

In other words, We'll ask you if we want you to be a mod.

We have not only pointed this out before, but we have pointed it out to nx7oe numerous times before. Not just that, but he has a, shall we say, "history" in the Suggestions forum...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Precisely what LoCash said.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    my question is still

who the **** is locash?

and what did he do with my beloved jack?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I guess the perspective from which I come is this:

If someone wants to be a moderator, they might be a reasonable person and could very well do a good job at it. It doesn't seem unreasonable for those people to say, "Hey, I think I might be good at being a mod. Will you at least consider me next time around?"

The administrators obviously can tell who will and will not be a good mod, so they can choose people based on the merits of that user's history here and so on. I guess it just doesn't seem that wrong or nasty for a person to throw their name in the hat as a *consideration* when the admins may not have thought about them.

I reiterate that I DON'T want to be a moderator. If I did, however, I might say to Jonathan and Brad: "This is something I think I could do." They could look at my history and reputation here and then say to themselves, "Yeah, he's been a pretty good member. We hadn't thought about him up to now, but we'll keep him in mind."

Ain't nuttin' wrong with dat!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I guess there would be a difference between someone asking to become a mod and someone saying that if (s)he should ever come into consideration that person would posetively consider taking the task.

By the way I seem to remember one specific time where people was encouraged to candidate to become a mod Wasn´t Fran the Balanced and Powerdoc the Fair the result of this stragedy? Perhaps it was because we needed to give each forum their seperate bodyguards (needed a lot in short time)?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, there was a time when the admins asked for applications.

that's when i applied.

otherwise if they just need one or two mods, we take suggestions in the mod forum. hence applenut is now a mod.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Ain't nuttin' wrong with dat!

No, perhaps there isn't. It's just that you're missing a couple of things...

[list=1][*]Most people publically start threads asking how they can become one and some, like nx7oe, start them multiple times and practically beg. That's how you get us to not consider you.[*]I can guarantee you that if you sent oen of us a private message and said, "Hey, next time you're looking, I could do the job," we will not say, "Wow, I'd never thought of that person." We see you guys, we always know who we have in mind. Surprise us by not asking and just being a solid member.[/list=1]
  • Reply 9 of 30
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

just being a solid member

... now is it just me or !?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

No, perhaps there isn't. It's just that you're missing a couple of things...

[list=1][*]Most people publically start threads asking how they can become one and some, like nx7oe, start them multiple times and practically beg. That's how you get us to not consider you.[*]I can guarantee you that if you sent oen of us a private message and said, "Hey, next time you're looking, I could do the job," we will not say, "Wow, I'd never thought of that person." We see you guys, we always know who we have in mind. Surprise us by not asking and just being a solid member.[/list=1]

Fair enough on both counts.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Fair enough on both counts.

Excellent
  • Reply 12 of 30
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    You should change back to 'Legal Counsel'.

• Reply 13 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

otherwise if they just need one or two mods, we take suggestions in the mod forum. hence applenut is now a mod.

Suggestions or bribes?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Maybe a democracy would be the ultimate solution. And admins get infinite votes.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Maybe a democracy would be the ultimate solution. And admins get infinite votes.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again, democracy doesn't work.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Suggestions or bribes?

I hear threats that 'he votes to kill us' also work.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Why would anyone want to be a moderator? I'm sure it's a love/hate job, like a lot of volunteer work.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

"To whom much is given, much is required."

"Spit both ways before flossing your teeth."

...and all that.

There's a lot of advantages to being a lurking slacker, like no work.

But, if the shoe fits, hide it before your dog eats the laces.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    well, since becoming a moderator the only difference I have noticed is that every morning I wake to an inbox full of SDW emails :P
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Gee, I don't get any emails... but then again, we did damn you to AO
  • Reply 20 of 30
    well, that, and Jonathon seems to ask me a lot more about why i have to travel to maryland to find girls willing to sleep with me... i think maybe i've freaked out all of new york already...