G4 Dying! Is There A Doctor In The House?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have no idea what the hell just went wrong, but my G4 won't go further than the startup Boing. Screen stays completely blank. WHAT DO I DO? HELP!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Try resetting the PRAM. Hold down cmd-opt-P-R and turn on the machine.

Also check to see that the DIMMs are properly seated, same goes for the hard drive cable.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Between G4 dying and imac doomed, I'm feeling apprehensive, It's getting gloomy in here. Next thing it'll be iLiquidR that is doomed or dying.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    What was the last thing you changed? That might provide a clue.

Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Already tried all of those tricks....what do you do when those don't work? Now the bloody thing won't even chime! I can hear the fan blowing loudly...its like whatever preprocessor that tells the computer how to start up needs a reset, but I can't seem to find a reset button anywhere. There is on the motherboard labeled PMU. Bloody hell! I've just checked the tiny battery and it reads "REPLACE". That could well be the problem, but now I've got to locate and procure a replacement on short notice. Any ideas as to where?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I have a problem that sounds the same...

My dads Performa 6200CD only gives a startup sound. It is a headless file server and we trashed the monitor years ago. When I hooked it up to an iMac's (rev d 333 MHz) monitor... Open it up and the monitor cable connects to the logic board via 15 pin D sub, disconnect and attach to Performa ...the screen stays blank.

Sigh...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Okay, so replacing the little 3.6 volt battery went off without a hitch...but the the poor beast just won't respond. So that wasn't the problem. Arrggh!!!! MUST I SETTLE FOR A LAPTOP UNTIL THE G5 2.0 DUELies come out who knows when. Oh, the humanity. Well...I was planning on taking out my 4 hard drives and sticking them in the G5 when it comes time anyway. Sadly, until then, everything on those drives is useless without the big box that lights up the playing field. DRAT! I don't say that word lightly. Anyone have any creative suggestions for the meantime? Maybe I should visit the Genius Bar for a drink or two. Alas...poor Horatio...I knew him well...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

...I was planning on taking out my 4 hard drives and sticking them in the G5 when it comes time anyway.

Ummm... the PM G5 only has two bays for hard drives, and you can only use SATA drives. There is one IDE controller but that is used for the optical drive. You could replace the single headed cable with a double headed one, but where would you stick the drive?

Not to get off topic...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [QUOTE] Ummm... the PM G5 only has two bays for hard drives, and you can only use SATA drives. There is one IDE controller but that is used for the optical drive. You could replace the single headed cable with a double headed one, but where would you stick the drive?

Mayhaps I have spoken too quickly. So my IDE drives wouldn't be compatible with a G5 because is uses SATA drives? I hadn't realized the evolution of Macs would use different connectors, protocols and such...but it does make an odd kind of sense since its built with a different overall architecture. Perhaps I shall have to invest in the recently price-deflated 1.42 G4 model in order to save my data from extinction. Hmmmm.....That too makes an odd kind of sense...must think...brain hurts....
  • Reply 9 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    in what has got to be some kind of irony, you could also just order some 1394 drive converters. funny part is they're cheapest from Dell.

or at least they used to be. now Dell's page says they don't have any.

link
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

in what has got to be some kind of irony, you could also just order some 1394 drive converters. funny part is they're cheapest from Dell.

or at least they used to be. now Dell's page says they don't have any.

link

That is one good idea but you can also go USB2 they are most often cheaper. Also you might want to get one large drive to replace the four small ones... less power consumption and less room used.

Anyway, any luck with your PowerMac?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Sounds like your RAM is dead.

take out all but one DIMM and try booting, if that doesn't work switch dimms.

Then if you boot ad one dim at a dime until you find the one that is dead.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

That is one good idea but you can also go USB2 they are most often cheaper.

true, but USB2 is slower and more CPU intensive. nothing i'd recommend for drives.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    The RAM idea seemed not to have any effect at all. I just noticed now that the power button is no longer staying lit as it tries to startup and makes the fan blow loudly, but it lights up when I press it-not that that does any good. Aside from saying 'its just plain ****ed', I don't have a clue. Are there any good reference materials for the startup process in G4s? What parts are specifically acting and in what order-that sort of thing? That might be helpful in locating exactly where the 'wrench in the works' is. Thanks for all the suggestion, btw!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    See this MacNN thread.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Hard Drive Bad? If you have a Hardware testing cd pop that in. If the holding c button down doesn't work. try starting up with option held down and then select the cd.