A40 as Card Reader

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there a way to use my Canon A40 as a card reader...when i connect it Image Capture opens up which is fine and dandy but isn't there a way to mount the drive so i can use it as portable storage?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Not that I know of, at least not on OS X. My friend accesses his A40 as a drive under WIndows XP but I'm not sure if that allows him to copy arbitrary files to it or not, I'll ask him and let you know (if only for the reason to find out if it is physically possible with this camera).

WM
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is there a way to use my Canon A40 as a card reader...when i connect it Image Capture opens up which is fine and dandy but isn't there a way to mount the drive so i can use it as portable storage?

You can change the preference for opening Image Capture when the card is mounted. The card should also mount on the desktop like a hard drive.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Boba Fett, I'm not sure what you mean. You can set Image Capture or iPhoto to launch when a camera is connected but if Image Capture is open I can't find the option to mount the card as a well, anything. I can only get the option to download the images.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

Not that I know of, at least not on OS X. My friend accesses his A40 as a drive under WIndows XP but I'm not sure if that allows him to copy arbitrary files to it or not, I'll ask him and let you know (if only for the reason to find out if it is physically possible with this camera).

WM

under XP i think it is possible...pretty sure i've done it with the XP PC in my room (i finally have enough money not to have a PC in my room!)

also in image capture i see not an option...i wonder if i can mount in through unix...haha but i dont know how
  • Reply 5 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    My Sony mounts as a removable drive, even after opening in iPhoto. On your camera there should be a setting for normal USB instead of PTP. Try changing that and see if it works.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i see no option...oh well i was just curious cuz i thought it would be nice
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

i see no option...oh well i was just curious cuz i thought it would be nice

I don't have a canon, but my sony and Olympus both mount the cards on the desktop. You do not need to set this in any preference window - it should just mount when connected.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

My Sony mounts as a removable drive, even after opening in iPhoto. On your camera there should be a setting for normal USB instead of PTP. Try changing that and see if it works.

That's your answer there. The A40 doesn't support PTP which I think is that standard that allows it to be mounted as a drive. I asked my friend about XP & his A40 and he said it comes up as a drive in My Computer but you can only copy stuff from it. He also said the only way to get stuff on to it was via ZoomBrowser and that only allows images to be uploaded.

WM