use pc monitor with new g5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
can i use my current pc monitor with the new g5? or must i buy an apple lcd monitor? i have only used an imac and i remember there being some problem with an apple display connector something or other a couple years back with the g4.

wouldn't i just be able to plug it in to the vga plug on the 9800 video card? like i do with my geforce 4600?

are apple monitors best?

do apple lcd's have the ghosting problem i've seen with other lcd's? i went to best buy and played freedom force and it was awful to see the blurry images whenever any action was happening onscreen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    The G5 has a DVI video output in addition to the ADC connector.

Then of course, you can use a DVI to VGA adapter to use practically any kind of monitr on the market.

So yes, you can.

I honestly m not sure of the ghosting status on Apples LCD's.

I hear the 20" is pretty good in this regards. Its the screen I will be getting for my new G5 I believe.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think the G5 comes with a DVI-VGA adapter (meaning it turns the DVI port into a VGA port). If not, it's no more than $15 to buy one.

As for "ghosting," that's just a function of an LCD's pixel response time. Apple does have good displays, so it won't be as obvious on a Studio or Cinema display as it will be on a cheap Brand X LCD. But it really comes down to how much you notice it. All LCDs will display this effect to some extent, so if you're sensitive to it you should probably check out one of the Apple displays before you buy.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    right now i have one of those cheap kds xflat crt nonitors to replace one that died. so ill have to replace this one at some point i just hoped i could use this until i decided on crt or lcd. the lcd at best buy was big but i couldn't imagine playing c&c:generals on that. i hope apple still makes crt's (oops just checked the apple store, it seems apple's gone all lcd)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    you can use pretty much any type of display with a G5 right out of the box.

all include dual head video cards with one ADC and one DVI connector. they also include a DVI-VGA converter to hook up standard VGA displays.

in short, you'll be able to use what you have.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

right now i have one of those cheap kds xflat crt nonitors to replace one that died. so ill have to replace this one at some point i just hoped i could use this until i decided on crt or lcd. the lcd at best buy was big but i couldn't imagine playing c&c:generals on that. i hope apple still makes crt's (oops just checked the apple store, it seems apple's gone all lcd)

Uh. You won't be playing generals on the G5.