Best internal hard drive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you guys and gals recommend? I need at least 60 gigs of space, and am wondering what is the most reliable and fast.

Or, if anyone has any info on prying open an AcomData FireWire HDD, I'll take that, too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Western Digital offers 3 years warrenty, and there 8MB buffer models are the best right now.

I use Maxtor in my Beige G3, but will be going Western Digital next time.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Western Digital offers 3 years warrenty, and there 8MB buffer models are the best right now.

I use Maxtor in my Beige G3, but will be going Western Digital next time.

They *only* default to 3-year warranties on the 8 MB cache special edition HDDs, otherwise you have to pay $15 to extend the standard 1-year warranty.

All of the previous half dozen 3.5" HDDs I've purchased have been Western Digital or Seagate. As for laptop HDDs, I recently bought a Hitachi TravelStar.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I like Maxtor, I have two 40gigers in my PC right now, there great!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Best in what respect?

Have a Seagate Barracuda (forgot the specific model) 60GB in my Cube. Its very quiet and performs well.

For great performance I recommend the Western Digital ("WD") JB drives (8MB Cache). They are loud and run hot in respect to other ATA drives, not a problem in towers.

Theres also the WD Raptor. Its 10,000rpm and comes in 36.7GB with 5 year warranty but requires a Serial ATA controller card. If your in a tower its as fast as ATA goes until you look at SCSI.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I just bought a western digital drive... and it sux bad I bought it in may it broke within 3 weeks no problem I thought did the RMA thing they send me a reconditioned one... I called and bitched them out and they said sorry anyways so I used the reconditioned one... now 2 weeks later its broken as well, and I just recieved another one I gotta put in... and send this one back. WTF! the cycle will never end i bet, and I can't afford the cd cost its giving me.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Thanks guys. I'm probably going to get a Seagate Barracuda since it's quiet.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    any good name brand will do...everyone will tell u a bad story or praise about one HD or another
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Yeah, sorry to hear about the situtation Kraig. But ast3r3x hit the nail on the head. I've heard horror stories about every drive company. If its name brand, you have a good chance of it working for you.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Oh, and CubeDude be sure NOT to purchase a drive over 120GB. The cube doesn't have 48-bit addressing and can't format a drive over that size. Just an FYI.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Oh, and CubeDude be sure NOT to purchase a drive over 120GB. The cube doesn't have 48-bit addressing and can't format a drive over that size. Just an FYI.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that limitation, but I probably couldn't afford anything over 100 gigs anyways.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I just noticed the new Security Update. I don't have enough space on my drive for it.