Was 10.1 a free update from 10.0?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Was 10.1 a free update from 10.0? I forgot...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I think so...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Was 10.1 a free update from 10.0? I forgot...

Yes, but that was because the 10.0 release had some shortcomings (they had to get it out of the door) and 10.1 came out ~6 months afterwords.

If you're trying to go somewhere with that, I'm absolutely certain that all future 10.x releases will be paid upgrades.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I read that you can use a 10.1 update CD as a full install CD... you have to rip the image and edit a few lines of text then burn the new image but it works.

To have a full OS in an update CD... i guess 10.0 was in need of major repair.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Well, realistically, 10.0 was more like 0.9.8b24

• Reply 5 of 19
    Yes, it was a free update.

The most plausible reason is that it was free because, as atomicham mentioned, 10.0 was very incomplete and hardly worthy of GM status. People who bought 10.0 and used it full-time were widely considered Apple's guinea pigs for Mac OS X.

Don't expect many future 10.x updates to be free like that.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Whatever we do with this thread, please don't make it into a "I hate paying for OS upgrades thread". There have been enough.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Whatever we do with this thread, please don't make it into a "I hate paying for OS upgrades thread". There have been enough.

Agreed. But this thread could be an interesting "History of OS X thread".

For instance, just how bad was 10.0 and why was it released in such a state?

Did anyone actually have sucess using 10.0 as a day-to-day OS? (I tried for a few days, but then gave up...but I am no computer expert.)

What fundamental changes were made to OSX between 10.0 and 10.1 to make it so much better (I loaded 10.1 soon after it was available and have never looked back.)
  • Reply 8 of 19
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, it wasn't exactly phre unless you happened by some apple store or compound and picked up a cd. for poor saps like me who weren't near any apple dealings, we had to drop 10 or 15 american on shipping costs. (i was a bit miffed when the usps package said four dollars or whatever on it. damned apple tax.)
  • Reply 9 of 19
    addadd Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

For instance, just how bad was 10.0 and why was it released in such a state?

I think that 10.0 was do or die for Apple. People had tried the public beta and were waiting for it (I seem to remember a release date being set). The feedback from the beta wasn't all that positive (anyone remember the Apple logo in the middle of the menubar and no clock except that dock thing).

Some of us long time Mac users had been waiting since OS 7 for the next gen mac os 'copland' which never appeared. MS had just announced XP. If they hadn't shipped 10.0 when they did even die-hard mac users may have given up. OS9 at the time was (in my opinion) a joke! with that voice password gimick and the 'save memory contents to disk' feature that was killing (barbie's purse) ibooks.

I used 10.0 for a week or so, it came installed on a new mac we got but gave up, there were so few native apps and most of them were in beta. I spent most of the time running in classic mode.

Running 10.1 at work now though without too much hassle (my boss won't get me jaguar). Ill try and convince her to get me a G5 when Panther ships
  • Reply 10 of 19
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Been using OSX since 3/24/01, ya baby!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Been using OSX since 3/24/01, ya baby!

I too was one "guinea pig" that had been using OS X since the public beta! I think I still have all the install/update CDs. Would sure be funny just to install the public beta on a spare hard-drive again just to see how bad it really was! :-)
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

Would sure be funny just to install the public beta on a spare hard-drive again just to see how bad it really was!

I used the Public Beta and GM full-time as well. Good luck installing the PB, though, because you'll need to turn back your clock a couple years. It expired long ago.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

I too was one "guinea pig" that had been using OS X since the public beta! I think I still have all the install/update CDs. Would sure be funny just to install the public beta on a spare hard-drive again just to see how bad it really was! :-)

It was bad.

I started with DP3, but, didn't run OS X as my main OS until the day 10.0 shipped. From March until July or so with 10.0, I was mostly in Classic.

That's why Apple had to ship 10.0 when they did. It forced developers to get software out. By the time 10.1 shipped, the only reason I used Classic was for Photoshop & Office. Once those were released I never ran Classic again...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Is there a place to download the original 10 beta?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I got 10.1 (still on 10.1.5) as 10.0 with the update. I only got to see 10.0 for second before we upgraded, though. Before I install 10.3, I intend to reinstall 10.0 just to see how far it has come. A sort of "Before, After" test.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Is there a place to download the original 10 beta?

Not legally.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Did anyone actually have sucess using 10.0 as a day-to-day OS? (I tried for a few days, but then gave up...but I am no computer expert.)

Yes, I did. Right from the start.

I'm no professional... I do web design and various other internet stuff. I got started with OmniWeb, Fire, TextEdit for HTML, Photoshop in classic for graphics. Got BBEdit as soon as they updated to OSX (6.1?).

4k78 was a lot of compromises, but I found it just so much fun to use and learn about that it all made up for it. I didn't mind the things I couldn't do because there was a whole UNIX system waiting to be explored.

Classic worked great right from the start, though. It meant that there wasn't much I all out couldn't do (printing was one thing - Epson waited for ages before releasing drivers. It was like a miracle the first time I printed under OSX.)

Amorya
  • Reply 18 of 19
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, it wasn't exactly phre unless you happened by some apple store or compound and picked up a cd. for poor saps like me who weren't near any apple dealings, we had to drop 10 or 15 american on shipping costs. (i was a bit miffed when the usps package said four dollars or whatever on it. damned apple tax.)

The shipping cost was £2.50 here... arrived the next day too. I was very pleased with the service!

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 19
    b_loveb_love Posts: 3member
    i had a similar upgrade experience, i went to a local repair shop for apple computers, and they had the sealed folders that the cd came in, but they charged a dollar for them, i think they said it was for a shipping fee. a dollar doesn't matter when you're staring at that big blue X....