I'm here its there. Can't we get along?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm on my mom's eMac at home,

My "12er is at the office. its on and so is web sharing. how do I find out what its IP adress is so I can grab the prefs for safari of its Hardrive?

Super

flick.

::edit:: oh yeah it behind a router..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You call a burglar, ask him to break into your office, look up the IP on you mac and mail it to you.

Or you write a mail applescript that always mail back the current IP adress when Mail recieves a mail with whatsmyip in the subject field. Ops to late for that now.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Anders thats a good idea, you wouldn't have a script like that would ya?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Yeah Anders.. your smart!

hmm.. hm..

apple script..

lets see..

<head>

if mail opens {letter}/subject is that "whatsmyIP" end line

then fire of the IP of this here [computer] next line

now celebrate

<end>

is this what you had in mind?

flick\
  • Reply 4 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Or... set up the router so that the laptop is actually in the DMZ (basically, 'not' behind the router) or set up port forwarding or something so you can access it from outside... and get your laptop to use the DynDNS.org service (it's free). That way, you always know your laptop can be reached at: mypowerbook.dyndns.org or whatever.

I think ssh uses port 23(?) anyone can confirm this?

Use scp as thus:

scp mypowerbook.dyndns.org:/Users/you/Library/Safari /Users/you/Library/

voila!

Of course, sshd must be running on the powerbook (Sys. Preferences/Sharing/Services/Remote login).

'man scp' and 'man ssh' are, of course, your friends.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Ok so I assume that you wanted this before this morning... my suggestion would be to go to your office and e-mail a copy of your Safari prefs to your mom's eMac?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yeah.. see now i'm going to my office and I can find out all sorts of things about it.. I'll try the above just because I like messing with things.

thanks all

conversation over.

flick
  • Reply 7 of 12
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Pah, you can't make the conversation be over!

I saw this product at If Then Software's website, and immediately thought of this thread (and, by extension, you I suppose. )

Their description:

Quote:

Ipanema will report your IP addresses to you via OS X Mail, once a day at a time you can determine. The software can also send instant reports any time you wish. When an IP address changes on ethernet, airport or PPP, Ipanema will automatically send a report--even telling you your "real" non-firewall hidden IP address!

I hope it's still useful for you.

• Reply 8 of 12
    First, your right I can't stop the conversation, sorry for trying.

secondly thanks for thinking of me and my little thread.

thirdly nice work.

fourthly if I want to shut off software running on my computer for home, ie MSN messenger, how can I do that? software? long cable? a trained monkey?

thanks.

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

First, your right I can't stop the conversation, sorry for trying.

secondly thanks for thinking of me and my little thread.

thirdly nice work.

fourthly if I want to shut off software running on my computer for home, ie MSN messenger, how can I do that? software? long cable? a trained monkey?

thanks.

flick.

If you don't mind the command line, then turn on "Remote Login" in the Sharing preference pane in System Preferences on the Mac at work. With that done, grab your IP, and type telnet your ip address (replacing your ip address with, well, your ip address.)

Now you have command line access to your Mac. You can use top to figure out the process ID of MSN, and kill it. Mmm, killing Microsoft products is fun. Remotely. mMmmm *drool*

It's either that or Remote Desktop for gooey GUI fun.

[edit: stupid non-complex tag nesting nature of vB code...gah!]
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Spart.

your Hired.

flick.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Er. that's not going to work if the remote machine is behind a router and/or firewall. See my post above on Remote Login (and use ssh, for god's sake, not telnet!). You will either have to make your remote machine the DMZ (non-firewalled) machine like my TiBook currently is (so I can run mldonkey hee hee) or figure out how NOT to block traffic to port 23 (SSH's port, I believe).
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

port 23 (SSH's port, I believe).

I think the port SSH uses is 22. 23 is for Telnet methinks.