iTunes Music Store Has Competition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030722/buymusic_1.html

that's a much stronger launch than I ever anticipated.

Apple, move your lazy asses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I don't see a launch date and the website is just a placeholder. Hopefully it'll be a month or two before it actually launches.
  • Reply 2 of 162
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    it launches later today
  • Reply 3 of 162
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

it launches later today

Right, but it's very vague. It might just be a paper launch and announcement to build up some hype before the actual launch. It'd be beneficial to them to do that in ordrt to get some inflated launch figures.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...siness/2005003

This article says $0.79-$1.49 per song.

I think the big reason for the delay in the Windows iTunesMS is the implementation of DRM. Each PC has to be identifiable, even when individual components change. It's the same problem MS product activation has. It has to somehow be tied to the hardware otherwise it will be easily circumvented.
  • Reply 4 of 162
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    It was one of the risks Apple took when they announced it as "only mac" before having a windows solution ready to ship.

I really hope they have worked overtime to make a iTunesWin version ready. Only one will really win in this game. Just like ebay and amazon
  • Reply 5 of 162
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    eh. whatever.

buy.com fails at everything they do. they have a horrible reputation.

the gem is buried at the end of the article though.

there ares no uniform usage rights.

each and every song may have totally different burning/portability rights attached to it.

talk about NIGHTMARE. a total customer service/ public relations mess.

and it's all in Windows Media format. which means the songs won't play on the iPod. the #1 music player in the world. oops.
  • Reply 6 of 162
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

and it's all in Windows Media format. which means the songs won't play on the iPod. the #1 music player in the world. oops.

Without knowing it I am convinced that more MP3 players can play the Windows Media format than can play AAC. And ten times as many people can tomorrow download music using this service and place it on their portable player than those who can do the same using iTMS.

If Apple get the iTunesWin out very soon then they can win. But they HAVE to come out very soon.
  • Reply 7 of 162
    Am I missing something? There were iTMS competitors for Windows *before* iTMS was released for the Mac. Why the sudden horror?

Apple has many advantages over these guys. Not even getting into Apple Innovation Cheerleading mode, just boring stuff like experience streaming media and selling on-line and integration with the iPod etc.

Expecting Apple to dominate this market is daft (and the computer industry as a whole has to get away from that as the only measure of success) but, like the iPod itself, iTMS looks to be a jump ahead of its competitors. Who in fact give every appearance of jumping on Apple's bandwagon as they need to compare themselves against Apple's iTMS in every single article, even the one's that came out before.
  • Reply 8 of 162
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    The site appears to be up. (buymusic.com)

"Music File Licenses

When you purchase and download music from BuyMusic.com, your music files are accompanied by a license with certain restrictions. The music files are encrypted with SDMI license technology to be sure that they are used according to your license restrictions. (See Minimum System Requirements.)

IMPORTANT: Make sure you mean to buy your music from your primary computer (for example: your home computer) so that it contains your primary license. The licenses are non-transferable. Example: You cannot buy your music on your home machine and then transfer your primary license to your work machine. The computer you buy from becomes the primary computer with the primary license for that song. You can only copy music from your primary machine via your primary license. See below for details.

Downloading, Transferring, and Burning

Each record label has control over these license restrictions including the number of times you may:

transfer your songs to another computer(s)

transfer your songs to an approved portable digital media player.

burn your songs to CD

BuyMusic.com complies with each record label and adjusts the SDMI license on each of your music downloads accordingly.

Two Types of Licenses: Primary and Secondary

There are two types of licenses: Primary and Secondary. The primary license is downloaded to the machine you used to buy your music (for example your home computer). Your primary license enables you to copy your music from your primary computer to your digital media players and to burn it to your CDs as many times as the record label allows.

If you download a secondary license, you do so onto a secondary computer (for example your work computer). Your secondary license enables you ONLY to listen to your music on your secondary computer. A secondary license does NOT allow you to copy your music from your secondary computer to your digital media players or to burn it to your CDs.

Make sure you mean to buy your music from your primary computer so that it contains your primary license. The licenses are non-transferable. You cannot buy your music on your work machine and then transfer your primary license to your home machine. The computer you buy from becomes the primary computer with the primary license for that song. "

So: one computer, limited burns. But iTunes for Windows may have the same restrictions.
  • Reply 9 of 162
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    And get a load of those holding-the-music-player studio-white commercials.

That's some crap.
  • Reply 10 of 162
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Lazy asses? Hate to be working for you!

The license stuff sounds a bit complicated, but I suppose FairPlay might sound complicated also when done in legaleze.

PS: competition is good!
  • Reply 11 of 162
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Oh No. The sky is falling! What's the big deal? Another competitor to iTMS and not a very compelling one. The site even looks alot like iTMS. Unveiling is today. BuyMusic.com will fail because it's complicated and full of restrictions and does not offer the ease of use that iTMS has or the liberal copy and burn features - even though it looks awfully like the iTMS site. By the way, reports are that iTMS is going to be unveiled for Windows by Thanksgiving.
  • Reply 12 of 162
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Ummm this sucks. Not because it's a competitor because it isn't. Without Uniform Useage I'm not buying ...period. Call me a felon. I'll stick to routing out good music using P2P and buy the artists that I listen to on CD.

The RIAA is NOT the Music Industry it is the focal point of the Big 5. They don't give a damn about Indies unless it benefits their own behalf.

If iTMS Windows is this bad I won't support it as well. This is a principle.
  • Reply 13 of 162
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Nope. What's happening here is that the record companies are using buymusic.com as a testing ground. One more proof that their restrictive DRM doesn't work before they let Apple figure it out. buymusic.com is a fall guy. The proof of misconcept if you will. Everyone knows that if this going to succeed, Apple's going to be the one to do it. They've got the cache and the style. It's all good.
  • Reply 14 of 162
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Nope. What's happening here is that the record companies are using buymusic.com as a testing ground. One more proof that their restrictive DRM doesn't work before they let Apple figure it out. buymusic.com is a fall guy. The proof of misconcept if you will. Everyone knows that if this going to succeed, Apple's going to be the one to do it. They've got the cache and the style. It's all good.

haha that was a very lemon bon bon-ish type post
  • Reply 15 of 162
    also... something interesting.

They advertise $.70 songs and lower "whole CD" downloads, but of the random simgles I saw, they range in price from .79 to .99!!

Bunch of Clown Shoes

Also notice their "cool" adverts you can download. Look familiar???

Bah!

[yes, I woke up bitter this morning]
  • Reply 16 of 162
    is it a horrible site because i'm on a mac? or is it just a horrible site.
  • Reply 17 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

is it a horrible site because i'm on a mac? or is it just a horrible site.

I can't even get in (Mozilla/Linux):

Quote:

Thank you for visiting BuyMusic.com.

In order to take full advantage of BuyMusic.com's offerings you must be on a Windows Operating System using Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher.

Download Internet Explorer Here.

but what I can see looks like ass.
  • Reply 18 of 162
    sundogsundog Posts: 21member
    The previews suck (sounds like an AM radio), the commercials are Apple rip-offs (notice the guitar in the one with Tommy Lee, http://www.apple.com/music/) and for god sakes it's Windows Media format with variable DRM. I can't even see it with Phoenix (Mozilla) on a Windows machine.

I'm not impressed and I'm Canadian and don't even have access to the iTunes Music Store (yet!?). I'm glad there's some competition, but I'm surprised at how un-original buyMusic.com's solution is.
  • Reply 19 of 162
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    wow i just went there and it really is the iTMS...its so sad how they copy from apple

...now i just wait for people to dispute that it isn't a copy of apple just like everyother idea that people 'didn't copy from appl
  • Reply 20 of 162
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Oh my God, those commercials are just flagrant derivative rip-offs! They make the old iMac rip-offs look thoughtful. And they're piss poor on top of it!