an insight into the future of the G5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An E-Week article (linked from ArsTechnica) has some info on IBM's plans for the GPUL (G5) ... most important is the 3rd paragraph -
Quote:

In pursuit of this goal, IBM is poised to introduce two tiers of products: a low-end blade server and an "ultra -low-end" (ULE) rack/deskside model. The initial blade server will be based on the Power PC 970 processor (known internally as the GPUL), which made its debut this month in Apple Computer Inc.'s Power Mac G5 line. A mid-2004 replacement for the blade as well as the ULE products will run on an updated version of that chip, known as the GPUL2

so i guess the 0.09 G5 will come a few months before mid-2004 ....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I think the GPUL2 is the 980 (Power5 derivative), not the 90nm 970.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Eather way, I can't wait...

Damit... I need a G5 PowerBook! The itCh is getting to me...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    g::masta,

Something wrong with this thread?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    humble apologies . my bad . feel free to lock at will

• Reply 5 of 6
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

g::masta,

Something wrong with this thread?

Yes. g::masta would like to discuss the fact that IBM plans on putting the 970 in to blade servers and how it is relative to Apple. Not how the G5 should be in Powerbooks, iMacs and my mom's breadmaker by January 2004.

So...

A blade would be a nice addition to Apple's server colection. The XServe, while a nice entry in to the server market, should have been just that - an entry level server. Imagine the XRaid with 14 slots for circuit boards with single 2GHz G5s instead of 14 hard drives.

BTW, there are moderators to lock threads that are redundent. Something that this thread isn't.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

A blade would be a nice addition to Apple's server colection. The XServe, while a nice entry in to the server market, should have been just that - an entry level server. Imagine the XRaid with 14 slots for circuit boards with single 2GHz G5s instead of 14 hard drives.

Would be an interesting sort of machine. Wouldn't ever be released by Apple, though.