Special Edition G4 iBook @ Macworld

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i finally came to a conclusion about my next, break-the-bank purchase for apple products, having now worked extensively on a dual ghz g4, the tibook, and a friend's ibook, and my trusty ol' g4 450 (all of these are work computers - i.e., computers i don't actually own, darn the luck)...

anyway, if i were giving advice to someone like myself, who needs a modest amount of power, but doesn't want to be necessarily tied to a desk all day, i would buy:

a mid-to-higher level desktop

AND

a low-end consumer laptop

the top-of-the-line is far too excessive for my needs at any point in time, and, myth or not, i feel like the highest end models depreciate faster off the shelf, unless you are throwing lots of high-end, profitable work at it. and i mean LOTS... and the tibook, while a GREAT machine, is going to be a MASSIVE headache to upgrade int he future, if it can be upgraded at all (not much space in there). again, unless you're doing film-editing on the road, it certainly exceeds my needs, and it's ROI isn't as high over its life (well, doing the work i do, anyway)

so a mid-level, with maybe a high-end bto option or two (i.e. superdrive, or bigger hard drive), is a great station, with expandability for the mid-term future.

AND

the low-end ibook stays compatible with apple's current software lineup (mostly), gives me lightweight and portable computing power for a low-ish price, allows me to do basic work on the road, and i can bring any work back to my "home base" whenever i need to.

and with an airport card in each, and the tower running software base station emulation, i have free roaming capabilties around my home or office.

so yes, i end up paying about as much for the top-of-the-line tower, but i get enough power for desktop work, AND mobility when i need it.

that's a heck of a nice combo, IMHO.

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 42 of 48
    rmh1572rmh1572 Posts: 94member
    YourDailyMac reports that rumor sites are predicting a g4 ibook. Also, Apple previewing maybe the G5 but I can't find any rumor site predicting a g4 ibook except this rumor board.(other boards may have followed suit?)

Maybe I am wrong. If so please point me towards the site.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    donavandonavan Posts: 13member
    [quote] YourDailyMac reports that rumor sites are predicting a g4 ibook. Also, Apple previewing maybe the G5 but I can't find any rumor site predicting a g4 ibook except this rumor board.(other boards may have followed suit?)

Maybe I am wrong. If so please point me towards the site. <hr></blockquote>

These are the sites that I have found:

YourDailyMac

MacRumors

Spymac.com

Gumac

Kodawarisan
  • Reply 44 of 48
    donavandonavan Posts: 13member
    Interesting news at <a href="http://www.macrumors.com:"; target="_blank">www.macrumors.com:</a>

[quote] Tuesday, June 11 10:48 PM ET

Here's an interesting tidbit that we're forced to leave somewhat up to your imaginations due to restrictions from the source, a Cupertino resident who has been with us since the beginning (the same guy who lead us to break the story of the original iMac, as well as the resignation of former CEO Gil Amelio)....

When you ponder the purpose of Apple's forthcoming InkWell handwriting-recognition technology, think about the way the trackpad works on PowerBooks and iBooks. Imagine if you could add an inexpensive stylus pen, and enter text much the same way it is done on the trackpad-like area of a Palm handheld or similar device.

'Nuff said.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 45 of 48
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Don't confuse MacRumors with MacOSRumors (aka MOSR)! The above quote by Donavan is from MacOSRumors at <a href="http://www.mosr.com"; target="_blank">www.mosr.com</a>.

Escher
  • Reply 46 of 48
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Cat is ou tof the bag...

Ok, so there is no cat....

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/17.ibook.php"; target="_blank">iBooks, Quartz Extreme & G4's</a>
  • Reply 47 of 48
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yep, it seems fairly clear... if they're claiming that the current iteration of the iBooks may not be the last to use the G3, then I definitely don't see any G4 bump for quite a while.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    As long as the 12.1" iBook isn't going anywhere I'm happy. The MacCentral interview linked above certainly indicates that the 12.1" iBook is here to stay.

As for as sticking with the G3, I'm perfectly ok with that too. Just imagine what further Mhz increases will bring to the iBook: 800Mhz G3, 900 Mhz G3, 1 Ghz G3... Sounds good to me. Would be nice if Apple bumped the bus speed though. 66Mhz bus was lame, 100Mhz bus is ok, but 133 bus would be even better. IMHO, the bus and memory are bigger bottlenecks for a consumer portable than the G3 chip.

Escher