How Much Do You Drink A Day....(re: water)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well not just water but non intoxicating stuff

i find i drink alot more while i'm at work then while i'm at home and especially while i'm sitting at the comptuer...almost at the point of slight overhydration

i drink between 3-4 litres of water a day...and you?

(4-6 bottles of the sqeez gatorade bottles full of water normally)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Well I cut grass for a living, for a lawn care service... so I push a mower about 8 to 10 hours a day... I drink between 3 and 4 liters a day of Gatorade mix and water.

I love summer jobs!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Yippee ! A pissing contest...

Me... I don't drink tapwater..It's bad for the kidneys.

( full of chemical addatives ).

My favourite beverages are

long black coffee

Soy milk

Wine

Beer

Not all together of course
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I drink about 3-4 liters of H2O a day. Either filtered (Britta water pitcher) or bottled (gallons of Poland Spring from the store). Usually the bottled stuff. The water at my parents house in NH is so chlorinated it's just short of drinking from a pool (blech). The water in my apt tastes OK...but the building is old and I don't trust the pipes \ .
  • Reply 4 of 27
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i used to drink 120 ounces of water a day. now i probably drink 100 ounces
  • Reply 5 of 27
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    All non-alcohol liquids told, I'd say easily 4-5 liters a day. The vast majority of that is water, though I may sneak a sugary beverage in there (I'm a sucker for orange sodas).

I used to get somewhat dehydrated when I first started playing football in 5th grade and had a bad time because of it. After that the coaches had me drinking lots of gatorade and the habit just stuck with me, though I have replaced gatorade with water.

Incidentally, I recently spent an entire day at Fiesta Texas with family and it was surprising how much Powerade actually works in keeping everyone's energy up. I had completely forgotten how it helped in football.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Yippee ! A pissing contest...

My favourite beverages are

long black coffee

Soy milk

Wine

Beer

You think tapwater is bad for the kidneys, and yet you drink coffee, wine, and beer?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    The kidneys love that stuff. So does the liver.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Although I have no solid measurements, for the past few weeks I've been seriously upping the amount of water I drink, I'd say anywhere from 2-3 liters a day is average, sometimes more sometimes less.

But wait, how much is in a full brita? 3 liters? if that's the case then I easily have 3-5 liters a day, cause I usually always drink one full brita at the very least.

As for other stuff, I used to drink a lot of Orange juice and I like POM, but In the past few weeks I've barely had anything other than water.(and sparkling water)

follow up question: I've heard that Drinking too much water in a day is bad, or is it just drinking too much at once, can anyone set me straight? like, what is the limit for drinking a lot of water all at once? and what are the effects if you drink to much? harmful?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    I'll drink about 3 liters of water at work (it has a added bonus of forcing to get away from the desk every hour and clear my head). After work I'll usually have another liter of water, one glass of lemonade, one of soy milk and one of orange juice. I only drink alcohol on special occasions, and I never drink soda (any more).

Liquids are the way to go.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I really don't drink enough. I know I'm constantly dehydrated, probably why I'm so irritable these days along with the sleep dep.

Liter = roughly 1/2 gallon???

What's the recommended intake per body mass? Please in ounces, quarts, gallons per pound, we in the US aren't metric even though it makes more sense.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Quote:

No, 1lt=0.264172 (Calculator has a unit converter).

Quote:

But wait, how much is in a full brita? 3 liters?

Britas come in different sizes.

As for myself, lately I've been drinking a lot less. Maybe 1,5 - 2 lt a day. Goes with eating a lot less (have been fasting for 4 days and going strong).
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You think tapwater is bad for the kidneys, and yet you drink coffee, wine, and beer?

If you knew how bad our tap water is in Adelaide..you'd understand...It's a standing joke that there are only two places in the world where ships don't take on water.

Aden in the Middle East & Adelaide..

That's because our water is way above the UN maximum rated salinity levels for drinking water....\
  • Reply 13 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nixi

Britas come in different sizes.

Yeah I realized this, but I only have 2 of the original models.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    rara Posts: 623member
    I drink 1 - 1.5 gallons a day. Water, not juice or milk. That's extra.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

I drink 1 - 1.5 gallons a day. Water, not juice or milk. That's extra.

• Reply 16 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

follow up question: I've heard that Drinking too much water in a day is bad, or is it just drinking too much at once, can anyone set me straight? like, what is the limit for drinking a lot of water all at once? and what are the effects if you drink to much? harmful?

perhaps somone in the know can help more but it seems its easier to get overhydrated while doing strenuous activities because you will sweat alot (which is good) but when u sweat u lose precious salts and minerals in ur body, which if not replenished will not be good

Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I really don't drink enough. I know I'm constantly dehydrated, probably why I'm so irritable these days along with the sleep dep.

What's the recommended intake per body mass? Please in ounces, quarts, gallons per pound, we in the US aren't metric even though it makes more sense.

heh...no idea, i just started it in litres because the gatorade bottle is measured in milliletres
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Why does the metric system make more sense?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Why does the metric system make more sense?

it doesn't make more sense...at least for intake/body weight (mass)

i guess the only way it would be better is that the medical community uses metric
  • Reply 19 of 27
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

the soviets use the flouride in tap water to control our minds.

by the by, nyc tap water tastes better than any other tap water i ever had. but, sometheless, i dont drink a lot. a body is supposed to consume like 8 cups of water a day. i used to drink a lot of iced tea, but cut back.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    4 liters.