PowerBook G4 12": buy or to not buy?

jdljdl
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Consider this scenary:

You need to buy a laptop and you are aimed for the PB G4 12". But lately alot of rumors about new machines have been posted around the world wide web, so, here are some questions:

- would an update of the G4 powebook line, incluinding the 12", resolve the heat problem, considering the new features that everyone speaks (more speed on the processor, new ports USB and Firewire, new graphic card, etc, etc)?

- it seems worthless to pay around 200 euros more for the superdrive model of the 12" when there is no more difference between both models?

- would the update on these machines with brand new features will increase the prices? Because the actual ones are very inviting.

- bottom line, what would you do, keep waiting for the update that never came or decided to buy the actual 12"? Still the heat problem is a big issue here.

jdl

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

Consider this scenary:

You need to buy a laptop and you are aimed for the PB G4 12". But lately alot of rumors about new machines have been posted around the world wide web, so, here are some questions:

- would an update of the G4 powebook line, incluinding the 12", resolve the heat problem, considering the new features that everyone speaks (more speed on the processor, new ports USB and Firewire, new graphic card, etc, etc)?

- it seems worthless to pay around 200 euros more for the superdrive model of the 12" when there is no more difference between both models?

- would the update on these machines with brand new features will increase the prices? Because the actual ones are very inviting.

- bottom line, what would you do, keep waiting for the update that never came or decided to buy the actual 12"? Still the heat problem is a big issue here.

jdl

1. If there was much of a speed bump, probably not. The 7457 is cooler at the same speed, but at a higher speed will be either about the same or slightly warmer. Add a new graphics card and you're probably looking at a similar heat situation if not more heat unless they change the cooling method or improve ventilation.

2. I'm having the same dilemma. I just don't see enough need to shell out $200 extra for superdrive. The Combo drive burns cds faster anyway and it will still play dvds just fine.

3. Yes.

4. I'm trying to figure out the same thing, myself.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    I just read macosrumors.com news and decided that I will put an order for a combo PB G4 12".

I have decided and those out there should decide too. These machines are way too good for the current prices.

I just cant forget that I paid in November 2140 euros for the iBook 14" 800MHz' that now have a bigger hardrive and a faster processor and costs 1664 euros.

I dont care anymore about the rumors, the G3 being discontinued, the G4 updates in the powerbook line, I just dont!!

jdl
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

I just read macosrumors.com news and decided that I will put an order for a combo PB G4 12".

I have decided and those out there should decide too. These machines are way too good for the current prices.

I just cant forget that I paid in November 2140 euros for the iBook 14" 800MHz' that now have a bigger hardrive and a faster processor and costs 1664 euros.

I dont care anymore about the rumors, the G3 being discontinued, the G4 updates in the powerbook line, I just dont!!

jdl

I made the same decision. Haven't ordered mine yet though as I'm waiting to see what my school has to offer in terms of back to school bargains. Hopefully I should know this week so I can order my 12" PowerBook from either Apple or my school.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    I was in the same boat a while ago and decided to go ahead and buy the 12" Combo. Although I have an "out" if they do upgrade within the next few months. I can pass it down to my wife and get the newer beast if it comes to that. However, you have to understand that there will ALWAYS be rumors of an upgrade and an upgrade will ALWAYS happen (eventually). If you need a new laptop right now the current offerings from Apple will do almost any job very well. Heck, my 400 TiBk lasted 3 years now maybe 4 and still works.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I couldn't agree more!!

jdl
  • Reply 6 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Don't do it. Wait for the 15" upgrade. I don't think the extra compactness really gets you anything but the gee-wiz factor. Having used a 12" PB and seeing its strengths and weaknesses, I wouldn't buy another one.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I'm also in the same boat. My problem is that I am an educational student (and YES, GODDAMNED I need the extra power of a G4 for student purposes to all those people out there telling me to buy an iBook) and I am seriously limited in funds. I'm getting the educational rebate for the cheapo iPod and since I already have one, I can sell it for mroe than the new one costs... oh yeah I'm worried, however, that the new ones will go back up to 1599 or whatever and the rebate will not apply to the current 867 model, essentially forcing me out of the powerbooks range. To wait and gamble or buy now and risk it... HELP!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Don't do it. Wait for the 15" upgrade. I don't think the extra compactness really gets you anything but the gee-wiz factor. Having used a 12" PB and seeing its strengths and weaknesses, I wouldn't buy another one.

I disagree. I appreciate its smallness everyday. It's perfect. In fact I hope it gets smaller (while maintaining the same keyboard.) When I look at PC laptops they just look FAT.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I have the 12"er

yes it gets hot.. but how often is it on your lap?

the super drive I have has been used, though if I didn't have it I think I wouldn't miss it.

its fast enough for everything I do adobe suit and macromedia open all the time and I'm happy.

for the on the go type person it can't be beat.

at home hook up an external monitor and you have more room to work.

you can wait for the "new 15" but how long? and do you really need it?

buy the 12 and you'll be happy, I am.

flick.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

I have the 12"er

yes it gets hot.. but how often is it on your lap?

the super drive I have has been used, though if I didn't have it I think I wouldn't miss it.

its fast enough for everything I do adobe suit and macromedia open all the time and I'm happy.

for the on the go type person it can't be beat.

at home hook up an external monitor and you have more room to work.

you can wait for the "new 15" but how long? and do you really need it?

buy the 12 and you'll be happy, I am.

flick.

Flick,

you're a happy user. What about the heat problem, did you feel it?

jdl
  • Reply 11 of 23
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    It can't be any hotter than the Ti800, from my experiences.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    scotioscotio Posts: 40member
    I have had both the Ti 800 and the 12" Superdrive....The 12" is WAAAY hotter! (left palm-rest...ouch!)

It is damn sexy though...

R.

• Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I disagree. I appreciate its smallness everyday. It's perfect. In fact I hope it gets smaller (while maintaining the same keyboard.) When I look at PC laptops they just look FAT.

Is that possible? The keyboard goes to the very edge of the 12", does it not? They would have to change the keyboard to make it any smaller.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotio

I have had both the Ti 800 and the 12" Superdrive....The 12" is WAAAY hotter! (left palm-rest...ouch!)

It is damn sexy though...

R.

WHOA, dude. You can't be serious. I mean, yeah, the palm rests on the Ti were a lot cooler, because the only thing residing beneath them were the drives, while the graphics and processor circuitry was pushed to the back of the unit. Don't tell me the palm rest on a 12" gets as hot as the rear of a Titanium, because I swear to Christ, that thing has nearly left scars on me...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    scotioscotio Posts: 40member
    Quote:

WHOA, dude. You can't be serious. I mean, yeah, the palm rests on the Ti were a lot cooler, because the only thing residing beneath them were the drives, while the graphics and processor circuitry was pushed to the back of the unit. Don't tell me the palm rest on a 12" gets as hot as the rear of a Titanium, because I swear to Christ, that thing has nearly left scars on me...

OK, perhaps not as hot as the bottom of the Ti800. For me that was not much of an issue, as it sat on a desk most of the time.

The 12" al is actually particularly cool, when running on battery, far more so than the Ti. However as soon as you plug that puppy in...ouch!

I do not think it gets hotter, just that the location of the heat is far more noticable on the al 12" (well unless you wear shorts and try to sit lil' Ti on your knee!! ;-)

• Reply 16 of 23
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    waiting until sept when new pb15 or 12 comes out.

12" needs DVI out, L3 cache.

new pb's right around the corner....mac world paris expo
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I find that under normal temps and if I'm sitting on the couch with it on my lap the bottom gets warm, but thats cause your sitting it on your lap and it can't cool down there, I find putting it on a boook or a tray makes a huge diffrence. it has been Extremly hot the lat few days even sitting on the iCurve, but it has been 30+ degrees Celcius in my office so if the air is that warm it makes it hard to get anythign cool.

My oinly worry is the green light on the adaptor deosn't come on it just stays orange.. I don't know what to do about that.

Yes a very happy user.. DVI would be sweet.

flick.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Flick, have you updated the firmware/software on your 12" book? I don't remember the specifics, but over at MacinTouch there was alot of talk about heat issues and battery charging issues with respect to some Apple updates. Check it out at Apple or MacInTouch if you already haven't done so. CO'G
  • Reply 19 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hi Yogi;

Here is my take.

First the current models are discounted until September apparently so this gives you time to relax a bit. There is nothing to keep you from avoiding Apples marketing policies. Waiting gives you options.

If you really need a laptop before september then take your time and wait until the last minute to see what comes out, if nothing then take the discounted machines. If you can wait a bit until after September your might be able to find a current generation TiBook being offered though discounters when the new machines come out. Finally if the new machines come out, they may actually be cost effective, not Apples way I know but always possible.

The realities of the market are changing I would imagine Apple reccognizes this and will change also.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by yogisfunhouse

I'm also in the same boat. My problem is that I am an educational student (and YES, GODDAMNED I need the extra power of a G4 for student purposes to all those people out there telling me to buy an iBook) and I am seriously limited in funds. I'm getting the educational rebate for the cheapo iPod and since I already have one, I can sell it for mroe than the new one costs... oh yeah I'm worried, however, that the new ones will go back up to 1599 or whatever and the rebate will not apply to the current 867 model, essentially forcing me out of the powerbooks range. To wait and gamble or buy now and risk it... HELP!

• Reply 20 of 23
    This message was posted in other threads too.

OK, everyone. This is the last confimation I needed.

Today I went to FNAC in a Europe country.

I was looking for a 12" combo. They told me that their stock have 2 machines and that there were in other stores of FNAC.

After this, the employee told me that after this two been sold that no more like this actual ones would come into their stores. He said that the machine is going out of be out of line in the market.

Then I asked if their will be a similar model after their stock run out of 12" combos. I got the information that this current model is being discontinued and that very soon, during August/September there will be a revised 12" combo. And this also means a revision in the laptop line of Apple.

So, everyone old your horses. If you could wait a few more weeks just do it. And to confirm this information, every reseller in this Europe country are saying that after the machines they have in stock, this current computers with this specs wont came again.

The long awaited PowerBook revision is very near,

jdl