Netscape is *officially* dead

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm surprised no one else has posted or reported on this, or maybe I'm just clueless as usual. I found out by reading Mike Pinkerton's blog, and the Trackbacks from his July 15 blog entry. AOL has fired the Netscape team and the Mozilla team, however they have given Mozilla $2 mil and a non-profit org. I thought it would create bigger news, if only for symbolic reasons.

pillarist.net

Jon's Thoughts on Everything

CodeBucket

freeform gooness

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Eh, it's been dead for a while now, in my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    its sad that it's dead but it simply couldn't compete well...it wsa a big hok'n app because they tried to make it an all in one i assume was the biggest problem
  • Reply 3 of 5
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    From what I remember, they didn't fire the entire Netscape team, only 10% of it. Still doesn't bode well for Netscape, but not exactly an *official* death knell.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

From what I remember, they didn't fire the entire Netscape team, only 10% of it. Still doesn't bode well for Netscape, but not exactly an *official* death knell.

hopefully it was the 10% that integrated Instant Messenger into it! (man what a horrible IM client)

also maybe the couple people who wanted to inegreate everything

all and i all i am sad to hear people got fired...hopefully they'll easily be able to find work, i would assume with their credentials
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    The only problem Netscape / Mozilla has is fighting the IE bundling on Windows. There are far less people with a clue then there are that do, so naturally these people will use whatever comes "Out the box" over having to download something else.

IE for Windows is also not the smartest browser on the block when it comes to rendering CSS either. In fact, many times its an idiot. And there isn't going to be any solutions because MS is folding IE development into their operating system. Thus there won't be any major updates in the rendering engine.

Mozilla and Netscape combined equal (maybe) the Macintosh marketshare of the computer market. Find that kinda ironic.

FYI: The most CSS compatible browser for Mac OS is MSN. Yeah... odd isn't it.