ITunes: Very, very confused

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Strange question:

I have the newest version of itunes. I live in an apartment complex, and have a broadband connection. Well, I opened I Tunes today, and there was a new selection under "source" entitled "Bruce Romano's Music. Under this heading, I have access to all of "Bruce Romano's" music catalog, including his library, playlists, and the music he purchased off of the itunes music store.

Why did his information suddenly appear in MY itunes. Is this a virus, or has a virus been downloaded onto my computer? I'm very confused, can anyone fill me in???

EDIT: Also, I just realized I am in range of 4 airport connections. Might this be it? If I click on one of the connections, it requires a password. I have never used airport, but I assume this is normal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Sounds like bruce is a neighbour of yours (and you dont know it!). This is exactly what Steve Jobs and his friends did on the new iTunes keynote.

Your friend has his iTunes library set to be shared (requires 10.2 i think) and you have obviously found yourself in range of his wireless network.

You might want to disable your wireless. If you can see him he can see you. Then if you want to use your wireless in the future, you will have to change the ID and security from the defaults (I assume you can do this on airport - I am going from my knowledge of general wireless configs under windows)
  • Reply 2 of 21
    unleadedunleaded Posts: 6member
    Miles - You won't be able to play his store content via sharing without having him authorize your system. But, enjoy his content. Just password your shared lib and you will be fine.

Gargoyle - 10.2.4
  • Reply 3 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

You might want to disable your wireless. If you can see him he can see you.

Depending on how his apartment complex is wired up, this problem might not due to wireless connections. He might be on a common wired LAN with some of his other neighbors. (Not a good way for privacy to wire up a group of apartments, but not out of the question that someone did it anyway.)
  • Reply 4 of 21
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Well it's definitely rendezvous...do you know this guy? If you get on ok you could also use iChat which is Rendezvous enabled. Anyway..if he's got good music just listen to it, but it might be polite let him know. Big pat on the back for Apple for making it so easy to connect that people don't even know it's happened
  • Reply 5 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's just like when your neighbors play their music obnoxiously loud and it bleeds through the walls.

Except, you only hear what you want to hear...hey that's not so bad.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by unleaded

Miles - You won't be able to play his store content via sharing without having him authorize your system. But, enjoy his content. Just password your shared lib and you will be fine.

Actually, your computer only needs to be authorized to play his iTMS-purchused music. Other stuff not from Apple can be played without authorization.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mileswhomileswho Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

Well it's definitely rendezvous...do you know this guy? If you get on ok you could also use iChat which is Rendezvous enabled. Anyway..if he's got good music just listen to it, but it might be polite let him know. Big pat on the back for Apple for making it so easy to connect that people don't even know it's happened

I'm new to the mac platform as of November, and I missed the keynote where Steve demonstrated this feature of itunes (so I may be a little slow on the upswing)...but jeez, this feature is freakin amazing. The only problem is the feed rebuffers itself every ten seconds or so. Are there any options in the prefs panel which will fix this?

Thanks for the quick (and lack of condescending) reply's.

Cheers!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    The rebuffering is due to there not being enough bandwidth (however you're connected) to keep the stream constant. This would make sense if it was via wireless connection. Distance and electrical interference can affect the bandwidth.

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

The rebuffering is due to there not being enough bandwidth (however you're connected) to keep the stream constant. This would make sense if it was via wireless connection. Distance and electrical interference can affect the bandwidth.

Screed

If you're on the same network, wireless shouldn't have any effect. Think about it, airport is 11mb/s (theoretical). Even if you got 1/10th of that, you'd still have enough bandwidth for a 256kb/s stream. The problem is over the internet where many people have upload caps. I'm lucky to get 30kb/s upload. Not nearly enough to stream music. Download speeds are more than enough to stream music flawlessly though.

edit: let me add that if the stream is using rendezvous, it shouldn't be routed through the internet (or the cable/dsl line) so there shouldn't be any upload problems. I'm not sure what could be causing the rebuffering.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the rebuffering may be due to the strength of the airport signal. if the other apartment is far enough away, it's probably got enough interference between to cause some stream disruption.

either that, or everybody with airport else has found that this guy has on open iTunes stream and is overloading his system
  • Reply 11 of 21
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

either that, or everybody with airport else has found that this guy has on open iTunes stream and is overloading his system

• Reply 12 of 21
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

If you're on the same network, wireless shouldn't have any effect. Think about it, airport is 11mb/s (theoretical). Even if you got 1/10th of that, you'd still have enough bandwidth for a 256kb/s stream. The problem is over the internet where many people have upload caps. I'm lucky to get 30kb/s upload. Not nearly enough to stream music. Download speeds are more than enough to stream music flawlessly though.

edit: let me add that if the stream is using rendezvous, it shouldn't be routed through the internet (or the cable/dsl line) so there shouldn't be any upload problems. I'm not sure what could be causing the rebuffering.

Sorry to reopen this debate a while later but i've been searching through the forums and found that i'm having a similar experience in that iTunes keeps rebuffering the shared music in iTunes over an AirPort network.

The other computer is just down the stairs barely 10 meters or so away. It's quite annoying. Otherwise the feature is really cool. I've been experimenting with a wired network as well and there were no rebuffering problems there. Any ideas?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Sorry to reopen this debate a while later but i've been searching through the forums and found that i'm having a similar experience in that iTunes keeps rebuffering the shared music in iTunes over an AirPort network.

The other computer is just down the stairs barely 10 meters or so away. It's quite annoying. Otherwise the feature is really cool. I've been experimenting with a wired network as well and there were no rebuffering problems there. Any ideas?

well, clearly the problem is in the airport network, since u had no problems with a wired-net. if the source computer is overloaded, or doing a lot of work, that can also affect buffering. if you have a lot of stuff, like a solid titanium wall, between the two computers that could hurt the signal, or if either computer is similarly obstructed from the base station.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, clearly the problem is in the airport network, since u had no problems with a wired-net. if the source computer is overloaded, or doing a lot of work, that can also affect buffering. if you have a lot of stuff, like a solid titanium wall, between the two computers that could hurt the signal, or if either computer is similarly obstructed from the base station.

I can' think of anything like that. Perhaps i'm just overloading the network. I could do with a program to see the load on the network, will NetMonitor do the trick for an AirPort network?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    nvm its not worth it
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

nvm its not worth it

yeah probably. it just bugs me
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Depending on how his apartment complex is wired up, this problem might not due to wireless connections. He might be on a common wired LAN with some of his other neighbors. (Not a good way for privacy to wire up a group of apartments, but not out of the question that someone did it anyway.)

Used to live in a fairly upscale apartment complex in Dallas that was exactly like this. The community shared a T1 line and the entire building was wired together like one giant LAN. I was behind a router myself, but plugged directly into the LAN a couple of times just out of curiosity. Saw quite a few shared PCs, Macs, and printers. Apartment developers obviously aren't thinking about the security aspects of the networks...

As an aside, dear lord do I miss having a T1....

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by highfalutintodd

Used to live in a fairly upscale apartment complex in Dallas that was exactly like this. The community shared a T1 line and the entire building was wired together like one giant LAN. I was behind a router myself, but plugged directly into the LAN a couple of times just out of curiosity. Saw quite a few shared PCs, Macs, and printers. Apartment developers obviously aren't thinking about the security aspects of the networks...

As an aside, dear lord do I miss having a T1....

I think that's how it should be. Yeah it could be quite unsecure and bad people could do naughty things to eachothers computers, but as long as you make sure your computer is secure then it'd be quite fun having a network like that I reckon.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

I think that's how it should be. Yeah it could be quite unsecure and bad people could do naughty things to eachothers computers, but as long as you make sure your computer is secure then it'd be quite fun having a network like that I reckon.

Sure, it's fun for someone who knows what they're doing (or is mean spirited), but I feel for the 99% of the people who were completely unaware that they were rather directly connected to so many other strange computers. Were I a mean person, it would have been far too easy to send the unabridged works of Shakespeare to every shared printer on the network.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    wow, that's cool. I wonder if anyone has a shared iTunes list around my area...I just got a wireless access point in my apartment, maybe i should put some shared music on my Mac that folds proteins all day...