RAM Suggestions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will be purchasing some RAM for my 12" 867Mhz Powerbook. I need 512mb of PC2100 DDR RAM/SO-DIMM 266, 200 Pin, to replace the current 128mb stick already in the machine.

1.) What are the best types of RAM?

2.) Should I go with the generic RAM, or should I go with a name brand?

3.) Post any good links for purchasing RAM.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    RamSeeker

I usually get my RAM from Mac Solutions or Other World Computing.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    bad (cheap) RAM can be a cause of dozens of otherwise-hard-to-diagnose problems

if you can afford it, i'd recommend sticking with Name Brand RAM

i've read anecdotal comparisons of Apple RAM vs Discount RAM in TiBook Benchmarks, and there were claims of more oomph from the premium stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Would you say OWC is brand name? I am just about to buy some RAM from there.

Has anyone had trouble with OWC?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    OWC is good. They're not premium but I'd rather have RAM from OWC than from some cheap Brand X place. Usually they fall between the price of expensive RAM, like Crucial, and cheap stuff, like 1-800-4-MEMORY. I have plenty of OWC RAM and I've never had a problem with it.

Another good choice is Kingston ValueRAM from NewEgg.com. Because RAM is interchangeable between PCs and Macs, you can buy it from discount PC outlets, not just Mac places. NewEgg.com is one of the best PC shops. Always good service and fast shipping.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I buy my memory from 18004Memory. I buy their generic stuff, as they tend to have the best prices, and they back their sticks with a lifetime guarantee. They have a special section on their site for RAM for macs, and if you call them on the phone, they seem to know what they're talking about. I've purchased about 5GB of memory from them in the past 18 months, no problem with any of it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks, everyone's reply was a big help.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    can i put DDR ram into my TiBook (I am guessing no)

and I have heard horror stories about 18004Memory but I have to agree with locash/jack that from my personal experience their ram works great... I bought a 512 PC133 and 2 PC66 256 SO-Dimms (Rev A iMac and iBook) and 4Megs of video ram for the iMac... all work great...