Anyone replace old G4 towers with eMacs?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking of getting rid of the two G4 400mhz and 19" monitors we have in our design studio for two 1Ghz eMacs(17" iMacs would be even better but out of our budget).

With the new 133mhz bus found in the eMacs, I would think it would scream in comparison to the old towers.

Anyone else experience a similar switch over?

Yes, I'd be giving up some screen real estate and expandability, but to be honest, in the 3 years I've had these towers, I've never put a card in there.

Plus the white eMac would match our studio's decor!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    We didn't get eMacs, but we just replaced half a dozen 450MHz towers and 17-inch CRTs with 17-inch iMacs. Some of those machines were still running System 9 so I can't really compare speed, but the folks who were running OS X on the old towers are thrilled. I did the initial setup on all the iMacs so I've spent a lot of time on them, and I do think they are acceptably speedy. "Scream" is probably too strong a word.

You might also consider getting 1.25GHz G4 towers and keeping your displays, if your budget reaches that far. I'd be a little nervous about going from 19- to 17-inch displays.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

You might also consider getting 1.25GHz G4 towers and keeping your displays, if your budget reaches that far. I'd be a little nervous about going from 19- to 17-inch displays.

Don't forget that useable screen area is different on CRTs and LCDs. You'll get nearly the same res and useable area on a 17" LCD as you would on a 19" CRT .. plus the other advantages.

CRTs are still measured outside monitor edge to outside monitor edge .. whereas LCDs are actual screen size.

of course Apple's wide-screens complicate this too. :-)

peace

nathan aleksander
  • Reply 3 of 22
    37773777 Posts: 7member
    Read my post in the eMac beats iMac thread, I just got the 1Ghz eMac yesterday, it is incredible, OSX screams on it, the monitor is huge (looks like it's the same size as my 19" NEC Multisync) ..it's just an awesome system all around. I would recommend eMac because it's 500 cheaper then 17" iMac, and ATI Raedon 7500 is a better video card then gForce 4 MX....... I give my new eMac a 10/10.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Everyone does on their first day.

• Reply 5 of 22
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lanky_nathan

Don't forget that useable screen area is different on CRTs and LCDs. You'll get nearly the same res and useable area on a 17" LCD as you would on a 19" CRT .. plus the other advantages.

He's talking about going from 19-inch CRTs to 17-inch CRT eMacs, not LCDs.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

He's talking about going from 19-inch CRTs to 17-inch CRT eMacs, not LCDs.

yes. thanks.

thought it was something to consider when an upgrade is on the table.

I think it's madness to trap a designer on a non-upgradeable 17" CRT, as good as the quality of the eMac display may be. but that's just me.

cheers all

nathan
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Get the eMacs!!! Get the eMacs!!!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3777

Get the eMacs!!! Get the eMacs!!!

Get the iMacs!!! Get the iMacs!!!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've worked with eMacs at a previous job. I really, really liked them. I was just telling someone not one week ago that if I had a small little graphics shop or studio, I'd outfit the joint in some of the $999 Combo Drive, 1GHz eMacs, hands down.

I've used G3 and G4 towers over the years at other jobs (not to mention knowing a ton of buddies who own them) and I can honestly say NOT ONE of them was sporting any sort of PCI card or any of the things people say they buy towers for.

With decent graphics, sound, modern I/O, plenty of stock storage, etc., I, too, couldn't adding a bunch of cards and stuff to a modern tower. Perhaps if I did really specialized, demanding audio or video work. But I don't.

The eMacs are fine machines, IMO. Certainly capable and no wasted space and all the proper, modern conveniences (AirPort, FireWire, etc.).

What the iMac DV should've been, three years ago...

• Reply 10 of 22
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Instead of buying a new eMac, I could upgrade my Sawtooth G4 to 1GHz and add a better video card for half the price. 1GHz upgrades are less than $400 and $70 will get a dual display Geforce4 MX card from OWC which surpases the eMacs Geforce2 MX.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    eMacs now have ATI Raedon cards, much better and no more raster shift issue.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    In my experience. The 133MHz bus isn't very significant over the 100MHz bus system.

Of course a jump from 167(G4) to 1GHz(G5) IS significant

Like someone here already said. Upgrade the processor and get a better video card is more logical than getting the eMac.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Depends on the use of the machines. Get the swivel perches if you go eMac (I haven't checked in a while; they are still an add'l option, right?).
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3777

eMacs now have ATI Raedon cards, much better and no more raster shift issue.

I guess that's another reason why they're better than iMacs.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    If the eMac doesn't sound that appealing, spend your $999 on a refurb FW800 1GHz G4 (single-proc) at MacConnection.

Now I'm sure during my 1-week wait for UPS ground, they'll announce the new 1.4GHz iMac with 19" screen for $1200.

Anyone care to recommend a 4x AGP graphics card for a 1GHz G4 tower? It comes with a piss-poor GeForce MX. Will a Radeon 9600 be wasted on this box?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I don't think you can buy a 9600 for the Mac. ATi just announced a retail 9800 Pro, but it costs $400. I've seen a GeForce4 Ti at OWC for $300, but getting a Mac Radeon 8500/9000 for <$200 seems to be a better deal.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    I do not know how the current eMacs are doing, but some of the earlier ones had a terrible failure rate.

If I were going to change to the eMac I think that I would try one and see how it does and what the response to it is before buying the second one.

You would also buy a little time to let things sort themselves out a bit on just what equipment will be available in the next few months. The situation just might be different by then. In fact, it might be best to sit tight for just a little while unless the current equipment simply will not allow you to wait.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The eMac is crap, don't get it.

The VIS of the eMac (16") in NO WAY compares to the VIS of an NEC 19" CRT, which is (18"). Also, it uses a non trinitron tube, so rather than an apeture grill it has a phosphor mask that nevr fully eliminates moire. It's very annoying when you see it.

If you have good monitors, it's pretty obvious that the single 1.25Ghz G4 with 1MB L3 is the machine for you. Between the CPU and Cache and drives and video, it should be about 50% faster than an eMac for the same money. And you get much more display flexibility. The eMac monitor IS NOT for anyone who likes good quality displays, it looks OK at first, even pleasant, but you start to notice it's faults right away.

PS, even though Pscates does design work, and he says he likes the display, I wouldn't trust him, he's stared at a 15" Tangerine CRT for far too long, and even though he has an LCD now, it may have ruined him forever!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I would go all the way and get a G5 tower. It was be worth it in the long run, not to mention how many more projects you could get done in less the time. More profit if your doing it for that. it will practically pay for it's self faster than any other computer
  • Reply 20 of 22
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The eMac is crap, don't get it.

I think that you are totally off base on the eMac. I have one of the 700Mhz models, bought in April of 2003, and it has a very nice picture. I have 1Gb of RAM in it and everything works great. (Of course, I wish I had the Radeon card instead of the nVidia card but why cry?)

I do, however, think your recommendation for the Tower is correct, especially if they already have good monitors. The 1.25Ghz G4 tower in a good deal.