iTunes music, don't leave the country

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
"Politech is reporting that your 'ownership' of music purchased from Apple's iTunes isn't what everyone considers ownership. According to the license , 'Apple may use technologies to verify' that you have not 'use[d] or attempt[d] to use the service from outside of the [United States]'. This includes Canada. Apple's 'technologies' delete the bought-and-paid-for files with no refund and no replacement when & if you leave the U.S."

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/0...id=141&tid=188

This isn't really a huge deal if at least you know about it. Just burn an audio cd.

I didn't see any topics about this so lock if i missed it....I am very hung over at work

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    interesting, guess it makes sense though, i mean they REALLY don't want you to be able to access this outside the US where copyright laws are different or artist contract labels are diff.

but yes it would suck
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I love how everyone blames Apple for these kinds of restrictions, when it is the record companies that demanded these retrictions as part of their deal with Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I'm bit murky on the full implications. If I move (permanently) away from the States and try to shop at iTMS still using my States credit card address and Apple detects this they will de-authorize my arse, yes?

Okay, fine, but what if I go on vacation with my authorized iBook and decide to play a purchased track and the iBook has to confirm with Cupertino that I'm authorized? Does that count?

Screed
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

I love how everyone blames Apple for these kinds of restrictions, when it is the record companies that demanded these retrictions as part of their deal with Apple.

Actually it's the ARTIST(S) that have made these limitations.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Will I get in trouble for playing my iTunes-purchased music from my iPod on a trip to Canada?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member

turns out that the story wasn't totally clear, or no one really read it properly Turns out the guy was reinstalling the os when he had to reauthorize.

and /. updated

Update: 07/25 16:23 GMT by P: The post to Politech says the songs would "disappear," not be deleted; from the context, it seems they were merely unplayable, not deleted

edit: Woo!! my 500th
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Actually it's the ARTIST(S) that have made these limitations.

Except in the cases or really famous artists, it's not really under their control at all. A typical contract really screws over artist when it comes to subisdiary rights like electronic and international sales. There are really three sides to this fight--the consumer, the artist and the record companies.

The record companies go to great lengths to convince you the record companies = artists, but trust me--they don't. I have been both an artist and a consumer, and I wish more people realized it's the record companies that are the common enemy.

At least American record companies. Canadian labels have embraced electronic distribution, multimedia enhanced cd's, and other technologies--and are seeing sales rise instead of fall.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Will I get in trouble for playing my iTunes-purchased music from my iPod on a trip to Canada?

Long answer, only if you need to reauthorize your music collection and have entered your address information or credit card information so that it lists you as living in the hotel you're staying at in Canada.

Short answer, no, obviously you arne't going to submit change of address forms and such for a vacation and almost certainly wouldn't need to reinstall OS X on your vacation.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

Long answer, only if you need to reauthorize your music collection and have entered your address information or credit card information so that it lists you as living in the hotel you're staying at in Canada.

Short answer, no, obviously you arne't going to submit change of address forms and such for a vacation and almost certainly wouldn't need to reinstall OS X on your vacation.

I wasn't worried about the technical issues -- actually, I wasn't worried about anything at all in any real sense. But I was curious if the following the licensing agreement excruciatingly to the letter would mean that you couldn't play your music, our even take the data, outside of the US.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    well lets look at the fine print

U.S. SALES ONLY

Purchases from the iTunes Music Store are available only in the United States and are not available in any other location. You agree not to use or attempt to use the service from outside of the available territory. Apple may use technologies to verify such compliance.

This stament it is written in such a way that you wouldn't think at first glance that you couldn't listen your already bought music in other countries. It just depends on how apple defines "service". Using itunes and an authorized mac to play your purchased music may be part of this "service". Hence an ipod probably would be too. Also Purchases can mean things you have yet to purchase or things you already have purchased. So in other countries future and previous purchases will not be available to you.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    more updates at /.

Update: 07/25 21:34 GMT by M: Apple has contacted the guy , and is apparently making him happy. However, the question remains: Apple definitely doesn't want people buying new songs from outside the U.S., but do they intend to generally permit foreign users to reauthorize (in effect, retain access to) the songs they have already purchased? Apple's policy is very unclear on that point.

quote from "the guy"

"Thanks to William in the Apple Music Store group (who I believe is on the Pho list), it appears that I received bad information from their customer support organization, and he's working on restoring my ability to play the purchased songs.

Thanks, William.

Shawn"