New(er) iMAC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a newbie to the forum and to Insider. My kids have been asking for a 17" iMAC and I'm ready to order one for them. My only question is that in trolling the forum I've seen references that the iMac is going to have another revision, due in August, and that it'll be a 7457 at perhaps 1.2 GHz (to paraphrase)and maybe even a reduction in price (I won't hold my breath). How true is that? If it's just a matter of holding off a few weeks to grab more processing power then I'm most willing to be patient and order then. If it's longer term then I'm willing to pull the trigger on the 1Ghz iMAC now. tx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Well, I would personally wait for the whole line of Macintosh systems go to the G5 plateform. The only computer that will probably stay none G5 is the iBook. That will probably stay at G4 for it's lifetime. As again, I would wait until the iMac turns G5, more performance for your dollar.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    BTW, this belongs in General Discussion.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    The iMac is badly in need of a refresh. Don't buy one right now, it is about as bad as it can get in terms of price/performance. A refresh is certainly coming that will have a better CPU, more RAM, larger HD, and probably a better video card. I don't have any insider information, this is just what the iMac needs to get closer to being competetive.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I don't really keep up with the iMac product cycle, so I can't tell you when it is likey to be updated again, but it does seem like the rumor sites are anticipating minor updates.

My guess is that it will remain G4 for at least one more update.

Considerations:

Right now the bottom of the 17" iMac is $1799, but you can get a refurbished one from Apple for $1599 (of course taxes then add a nifty sum if you are in a high-tax state).

The bottom end G5 is $1999, plus a Formac 17" LCD display is $599. If you are really worried about long term muscle/ability, you might go this route. Sure, it is $800 more, but it will have a longer life. Also, I bet that if you call one of the major catalog/web retailers, they will knock a bit off the display. (Try telling them that you want the G5 and the Formac display for $2500 AFTER shipping - worst they can say is "no.")

Finally, there are the G4 powermacs that Apple is still selling. 1.25 Ghz for $1299. Add the Formac display and you are talking about $1898 for a significantly better machine (although no superdrive).

As an additional bonus to the Powermac alternatives, the screen can be used on your next machine too.

Also, I don't know if any of your kids are in College yet, but if so they get a discount.

Of course, the iMac is more pleasing to the eye, and I think the 17" is widescreen, while the standalone LCDs are not.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Theres no way they are going to put G5's in Imacs for another year and a half, they finally have a processor to diversify their product line now. I think you should just wait till august or september, they'll come out with 1.2's for sure, hopefully with faster video cards, and at a price reduction.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Toms,

I know it's your first post and all, but it's iMac, not iMAC.

It's an abbreviation, not an acronym.

Oh, and wait until Sept 16th.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by toms

My kids have been asking for a 17" iMAC

you should be proud of them for being so wise I wonder what i would say if my kids (if/when i have kids) asked for a dell \ I'd prob say if you want a pc you have to build it yourself
  • Reply 8 of 23
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

you should be proud of them for being so wise I wonder what i would say if my kids (if/when i have kids) asked for a dell \ I'd prob say if you want a pc you have to build it yourself

I'd go with if you want a PC you have to buy it yourself j/k
  • Reply 9 of 23
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Theres no way they are going to put G5's in Imacs for another year and a half, they finally have a processor to diversify their product line now. I think you should just wait till august or september, they'll come out with 1.2's for sure, hopefully with faster video cards, and at a price reduction.

that's the stupidest idea i've ever heard. Yeah, hold back the tech so some mythical 'diversity' of procs can be achieved.

I don't use the rolleyes icon, but I am sorely tempted to.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Toms,

Oh, and wait until Sept 16th.

This is a good advice, i will give the same : wait for september. New I macs will certainly be introduced here, for the same price. A 7547 chip in it (if Mot doesnt suck too much, and is ready to produce them) and a better video card (like a geforce 5200) will not cost more. These componements will be at the same price or even lesser (considering that there is less silicium for a 7457), and that a geforce 5200 i no more expansive than the geforce 4mx when it was introduced. The flat panel, also worth less than it use to be. Add a cost of developpement near zero, and you will understand that Apple will not raise the price.

Apple expo PARIS is the event you have to wait before making a decision.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

My only question is that in trolling the forum I've seen references that the iMac is going to have another revision, due in August, and that it'll be a 7457 at perhaps 1.2 GHz (to paraphrase)and maybe even a reduction in price (I won't hold my breath). How true is that?

Volume availability of the 7457 is still Q4 2003, meaning October to December. Motorola has said this of all of its 130 nm products: 7457, 8560, and 5200. So if this is true, and Apple announces a new 7457 machine in August, you probably won't see it until October.

Quote:

If it's just a matter of holding off a few weeks to grab more processing power then I'm most willing to be patient and order then. If it's longer term then I'm willing to pull the trigger on the 1Ghz iMAC now. tx.

My usual computer purchasing advice: if you plan on using the same computer for 3 or more years, buy the most expensive you can afford and wait a little bit, if you plan on using the computer for 2 years or less, buy the least expensive variant of the computer you're looking at. This way, one should have the optimum performance for the price over time.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple is not going to put a G5 in the iMac anytime soon. They haven't even shipped the new Tower G5's. Also, the current iMac would have problems keeping the chip cool enough. There will be a major design change in the iMac next year at which time a G5 will be inside. The current model - 17" 1 Gig, Superdrive is a good buy. Shop around for a deal at the various mail order dealers. You'll get free extra memory, a printer and other stuff. A speed bumped iMac probably will be here in September, introduced at the Paris Expo. But nobody really knows if that will happen. Remember the iMac comes bundled with lots of great software including the iLife apps.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    G5 is pro... G4 is consumer, and just as fast as any other consumer PC, I use them both all the time trust me.

They finally can be a lot more diverse, and now the pro stuff is easily visible difference. I can see it going to a g5 earlier than say a year if they come out with an even newer g6 or a new processor other than the g5 sooner.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Here in Sweden a PowerMac 1.25 MHz + Cinema Display 17" cost just as much as a vanilla iMac 17".

It's $2679:50 for the Power Mac-bundle and $2680.15 for the iMac (updated currency rates and 25% VAT included)

The Power Mac bundle gives you:

+ 250 MHz faster processor

+ upgradable processor

+ 1MB L3-cache

+ 33 MHz faster FSB (faster RAM)

+ cheaper RAM

+ 1 GB more RAM max

+ 4x PCI-slots

+ better graphics (Radeon 9000 Dual head)

+ upgradable grapics adapter

+ 1x 5.25" bay

+ upgradable optical drive

+ 3x 3.5" drive bays

+ Gigabit Ethernet

+ 2x powered USB-ports

+ 14.720 px larger screen

But.. I won't get the nice pro speakers and the consumer software bundle. It will be a bit noicy, not as easy to place. But I guess that's worth the 65 cents _less_ I'd pay for it.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

My usual computer purchasing advice: if you plan on using the same computer for 3 or more years, buy the most expensive you can afford and wait a little bit, if you plan on using the computer for 2 years or less, buy the least expensive variant of the computer you're looking at. This way, one should have the optimum performance for the price over time.

I disagree: You earn your living off of fast computers = buy fastest available (aka dual G5); you plan on keeping it for 3-4 years and learning/growing with it = buy cheapest machine with newest architecture/processor (a la G5 1.6Ghz); You type and web browse, maybe kids/you are playing games = buy for comfort and nifty extras that you have a reasonable chance of using in the near term while considering price (a la iMac).

Also, consider why your kids are asking you for an iMac. Are your kids the music/graphics creative types and/or computer game types? If so, a Powermac (G4 or G5) is a better bet for long-term compatibility with up-coming software. You may find your kid coming to you in 2 years complaining that they want to play a new game but that the graphics card just won't cut it. In a Powermac you can upgrade the card later on, but I don't know that you have that option with an iMac. A bit more money now might save you money down the road, but you don't have to break the bank.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tomstoms Posts: 2member
    All, thanks for the feedback/advice. I've taken some time today to also look at the 1.6 GHz G5 and am considering going that route. I looked at the Formac 1900 which appears to have shipped in the past few weeks and looks like a good deal at 19" for $799. At the very least I'll hold off for a few more weeks and order the iMac in September. tx.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    If your kids want to play games, buy gameconsole like Playstation 2, XBox or GameCube. Mac has never been huge gamemachine and gameconsoles are cheaper.

I don't know how old your kids are, but maybe you should start with 1GHz eMac.It isn't so expensive and you could wait and see, what your kids are going to do with eMac.You can later buy G5, if your kids needs more powerfull computer. G5 PowerMacs won't be available until September or even late September. Apple Store says August, but there has been some rumors/stories that G5s will ship in September or later. G5 PowerMac is quite expensive computer and I don't know, if it's good start with our kids only.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

All, thanks for the feedback/advice. I've taken some time today to also look at the 1.6 GHz G5 and am considering going that route. I looked at the Formac 1900 which appears to have shipped in the past few weeks and looks like a good deal at 19" for $799. At the very least I'll hold off for a few more weeks and order the iMac in September. tx.

Don't forget to consider the G4 Dual 1.25 MHz Power Mac, it's still plenty quick and $400 less!!! You could buy an iPod or a couple of iSights or you can have the slowest single 64bit processor in a consumer desktop....hmmm??

And it'll be a few years until it's below the minimum hardware requirement for most software...

We got an iMac for my dad, and i really like the computer for him 'cuz he knows NOTHING about computers (but you do, so maybe the iMac is not the choice for you). The AIO design is fantastic, and a testimony to how simple a Mac is to use. This includes all the software and updates...a bit pricy, yes - but c'mon, you tip your fav bartender well, right??
  • Reply 19 of 23
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    You can play the waiting game for a LONG time. The problem with reading rumor sites and forums when you're trying to decide what Mac to buy is that there is always a lot of speculation about the next release - whether there's just been one or not.

The iMac is a really cool machine with a great screen - are you really going to notice that you have a 1.25ghz G4 in there as opposed to a 1ghz?

Jump in now!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

If you're going to get a G5, chocke up that extra $400 for a 1.8 model. TWICE the Hard Drive, TWICE the RAM, a faster processor, faster RAM, more RAM capacity...it's a no-brainer.