iPod FireWire Microphone?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The iPod would be much cooler with a microphone - it would be the ultimate audio diary.

Now why not make a microphone which plugs into the firewire port? OK, I am a software guy, but maybe You hardware guys and gals can help out. How realistic is this idea :confused:? The microphone would digitize the audio and send a slow data stream to the iPod, faking some upload.

BTW, are there any infos about writing software for the iPod available on the net? I would like to have a PIM suite for the iPod (only reason not to wait for a smartphone (http://www.danger.com rocks :eek )?

-karsten

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If Apple doesn't provide some kinda mic/line-in in the next revision of the iPod, I sure hope someone does provide a firewire mic.

I guess the real question is does the iPod have an A-D converter? Otherwise how will the voice recording be changed into 1's and 0's. Given other reports of a suspicious ring around the iPods headphone out, perhaps Apple planned for this already, though it could just be for some future remote function. Anyway, if the DSP can handle the A-D conversion, then it's just a matter of a little software and a mic to plug in either to the firewire or to the mystery ring around the stereo plug. If not, then it needs a little more hardware, but it would still be supremely useful, if more expensive to do.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The best things are left unsaid and unsung.

including this.

db
  • Reply 3 of 12
    If the iPod had a mic, it would rock even harder. But Apple needs to include one without raising the price any. $400 is the absolute limit, any higher and it would be ridiculous.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Would many people use the microphone?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Would many people use the microphone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea.

1.) live recordings

2.) class recordings in college

personal audio recorders are a big market.

perhaps the D/A concersion could be done in the mic. firewire provides power afterall so its feasible
  • Reply 6 of 12
    The lack of some sort of microphone on the iPod is what's holding me back from buying one.

I agree with JD that $399 is the limit..

I think they should release a rev b in January (well maybe that's a BIT too soon) with some kind of cable that lets you connect a microphone or add a microphone port, up the HD size and drop the price by at least $50.

And make it Windoze compatible. It'd fly off the shelves then. It's still an Apple product that fits in the "Cube" category but they should realize this and make this alterations.

In fact January might be a good time to do this so that the bad things about the iPod don't sink in with the public. Coz then, they'll never buy one.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    There's obviously already a D/A converter in the iPod in order for it to produce sound through the headphones. It would be a very slight mod to that chip and the software to get sound in capabilities. The 32 MB of RAM in the iPod also means an hour of direct to RAM recording (mono cuts down on file size). After the recording, RAM contents would simply copy onto the hard disk.

What I am most excited about is the ability to run amplifieed speakers through the firewire port. I saw a pair for $2000 at MWNY99. Check <a href="http://www.softacoustik.com/1_0/1_2_6.shtml"; target="_blank">these</a> out. I'm beginning to drool.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: hir ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Does A-D require a different chip/circuit than D-A? Or is it as you imply a simple matter of reprogramming and reversing the process? I dunno? Sound savvy chip people, any thoughts?

OTOH, we're a lot of like minded people. I'd probably use the voice recorder more than the MP3 player if the iPod had this feature. Especialy if it could record voice direct to MP3 with some facility to chapter mark it using the controls on the iPod, and later name the track using software on your Mac. Voice probably needs little more tan 64Kpbs bit rate in mono. You could literally record a few thousand hours of voice on the thing. Incredible! I buy one and use it all the time, no question.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    The portal player chip that controls ipod supports encoding of mp3's. Concevably you could record directly to mp3 at a fairly high bitrate.

Check out their site <a href="http://www.portalplayer.com"; target="_blank">here</a>

This chip can do all kinds of nifty stuff that isn't yet implemented in iPod. Its also arm based so there might be port options available.

Ps. the portal player site isn't responding for me you might want to check out the google cache version.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Mike D ]

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Mike D ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check it out.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

yea.

1.) live recordings

2.) class recordings in college

personal audio recorders are a big market.

perhaps the D/A concersion could be done in the mic. firewire provides power afterall so its feasible</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point. I didn't put much thought into what I said before I posted it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>$400 is the absolute limit, any higher and it would be ridiculous.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Correction...it already is ridiculous. I' would love an iPod, but I'd have to sell my kidney to afford it.