New(er) iMAC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If you're going to get a G5, chocke up that extra $400 for a 1.8 model. TWICE the Hard Drive, TWICE the RAM, a faster processor, faster RAM, more RAM capacity...it's a no-brainer.

While more RAM capacity is always alluring in theory, most of us will never need the maximum anyway. Unless you have big BIG plans, 4GB RAM capacity should see you through a good many years.

Bigger harddrive is always useful, but with external drives always getting bigger and cheaper, you can grow into an external firewire drive later on (plus, you'll then have a second drive to boot off of and back-up to if anything ever goes wrong with the primary drive).
  • Reply 22 of 23
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I bought a 17" iMac just a few weeks ago, and I recommend the purchase wholehearedly.

As a recent switcher, the decision to buy Mac Hardware rests primarily on 3 factors: OSX, iLife, and machine aesthetics. The iMac gets an A+ in every category.

Compared to my Pentium2 450Mhz PC, this thing screams. The built-in DVD burner, the screen, and the small form factor make it both easier to use and just plain prettier.

I'm a geek; techie...I love Mhz and getting the best performance available, but the iMac has proven to be more than enough. Many people in these forums have been on the Mac platform forever, which makes them more likely to focus on the 'next' thing, whereas switchers can focus on the present.

Rule #1 of Computers: There will ALWAYS be a more powerful processor, HD upgrade etc. etc. etc. right around the corner - No time is ever a good time to buy...

If you have the patience, then by all means wait and see what happens...If you or your kids are anxious to get started, there is NOTHING in the 1Ghz iMac ownership experience that is disappointing.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by toms

All, thanks for the feedback/advice. I've taken some time today to also look at the 1.6 GHz G5 and am considering going that route. I looked at the Formac 1900 which appears to have shipped in the past few weeks and looks like a good deal at 19" for $799. At the very least I'll hold off for a few more weeks and order the iMac in September. tx.

Just a note: not sure if any one mentioned this.

If you or your wife is on a PTA board or is an elected OR appointed official of a PTA or PTO you are eligible for educational discounts. Also, this applies to homeschooling.

Most machines are sporting higher than normal discounts right now.