Buy dual 1.25 G4 and iPod, or G5?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have about $3,500 Cdn to spend. With this I can get either the dual 1.25 G4 with Superdrive and a 15 GB iPod ($3,300), a 1.6 G5 and 15 GB iPod ($3,700), or a 1.8 G5 ($3,700).

I am into video editing with iMovie and am looking forward to being able to make DVD's. Really, my B&W G3/300 upgraded to a G4/600 meets my needs for video editing, gaming (Quake 3, Unreal Tournament), and basic computing (iTunes, MS Office, web/email). I would like to be able to play games like Doom 3 and Halo (assuming there are Mac versions), but this isn't crucial.

The appeal of the iPod is being able to get an FM transmitter so I can listen in my vehicles, both of which of broken CD players. So one iPod with FM transmitter will "fix" two CD players.

Is the 1.6 G5 worth the extra $400 based on my uses above, and is having an iPod worth giving up on the 1.8 G5? The dual 1.25 G4 may be better than the 1.6 G5 for tasks that use dual processors (e.g., DVD encoding, running multiple applications, iMovie/iTunes, etc.), but the 1.6 G5 would be much better for tasks that don't take advantage of dual processors (e.g., gaming).

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i thought that the dual 1.25 was slower then the 1.6...perhaps not, anyways

you have to ask yourself what you plan on doing, and how long you plan on it lasting

i would say if u want the computer that will last the longest get the 1.8...because it can hold 8 GB ram, and has the added features that will make your computer upgradable (graphics card, ram)

1.6 gives u a nice g5, but limits u to 4 GB of ram...which is still nice

the dual 1.25 is cheaper, i'll give it that

by the way, iPods are amazing, but they are not worth limiting your computer purchase if you want to keep it for more then 2-3 years probably, the iPod can be purchased later
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I would go for the 1.8Ghz G5.. Or the 1.6Ghz G5. Don't go for the G4 1.25Ghz then you won't get the great satisfaction of owning one serious bit of kit... The iPod can wait. Also, upgrade the Graphics card to the Radoen 9600, it's only, what, $60 US?

Based on what you want, the iPod can wait. I have an iPod, but I take it everywhere, when I go somewhere, doing work, etc. If you don't use it like that, then you can get it later. Hell, the iPod was the first portable music player I had, (bar a cassette player which i never used, I had no tapes).

Just think of all that power and no need to upgrade for years when you get a 1.8Ghz G5... That system has legs. Hell, when its out, it'll only be getting faster with all the optimisation for it, and that can't really be said for the G4.

• Reply 3 of 10
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    I vote iPod + single proc 1.25 G4 + spare change.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

I vote iPod + single proc 1.25 G4 + spare change.

you honestly have the worst ideas, i swear

(not saying mine are good though either)

but swearing is wrong and to each their own, so that being said can we have some reasoning?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    according to the benchmarks from Apple about photoshop, the 1,6 is only 10-15 % slower than the 1,8.

I doubt that PCI X is a major issue for you, nor the presence of 8 slots of RAM.

So buy the 1,6 and the I pod. The dual 1,25 have only an interest if you want to boot from os 9.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

according to the benchmarks from Apple about photoshop, the 1,6 is only 10-15 % slower than the 1,8.

I doubt that PCI X is a major issue for you, nor the presence of 8 slots of RAM.

So buy the 1,6 and the I pod. The dual 1,25 have only an interest if you want to boot from os 9.

seems to be sound reasoning to me
  • Reply 7 of 10
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

you honestly have the worst ideas, i swear

(not saying mine are good though either)

but swearing is wrong and to each their own, so that being said can we have some reasoning?

Because the second proc is probably not worthwhile.....IMO, once you decide to settle for a G4, might as well save a couple more dollars and get the single proc.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

Because the second proc is probably not worthwhile.....IMO, once you decide to settle for a G4, might as well save a couple more dollars and get the single proc.

ok i just wanted some reasoning

the real question is how long does he want to have this computer in a use...a single g4 processor doesn't seem like the kind of power he should have if he is doing that type of stuff

although i can contest that although i don't use it for iMovie and stuff, a single 733 runs os x very nice (768MB RAM)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lkearllkearl Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Thanks to everyone for the input. The suggestion above is what I'll go for. The 10-15% performance gain and the PCI-X and RAM slots with the 1.8 really aren't that big a deal to me, and I'm sure I can think of other ways to enjoy the iPod (e.g., listen in my office at work). I've been debating what to do for about 2-3 weeks. Now it's time to place an order and hope that 4-6 weeks for the G5 to arrive doesn't go too slowly.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    You made the right choice to buy a G5