The Gray Davis Recall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is going to happen here? Will Arnold run? Would he win? Will Davis keep his job?

I think it depends on who runs. The Dems seem determined (now) to stand behind Davis, according to the DNC. My first thought is that if there is a strong Republican candidate, Davis will lose narrowly. If not, he may retain his job. That's not wishful thinking, before you go down that route.

Your thoughts....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm wondering: does anybody think that Schwarzenegger could win this thing if he really ran as the Republican candidate? I really wonder. Reagan was an actor too, but I'm thinking Schwarzy is another thing still. What are your thoughts here? Enlighten me, if you will.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I'm wondering: does anybody think that Schwarzenegger could win this thing if he really ran as the Republican candidate? I really wonder. Reagan was an actor too, but I'm thinking Schwarzy is another thing still. What are your thoughts here? Enlighten me, if you will.

I think he would win. People have trouble separating fantasy from reality.

"I'll tour-mun-ate the budget deficit". I can hear it now.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    This race is Arnold's to lose.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's the greatest thing to happen in politics in years. Arianna Huffington, the former Republican, may be running against her ex-husband, the former heterosexual. What could be better than that?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Assuming he wants the job, it's Arnold's race if the rest of the GOP clears the field for him. That may not happen. In addition to Arnold other Republican hopefuls are Congressman Darrel Issa, GOP state senator Tom McClintock, former GOP gubernatorial candidate Bill Simon, former Los Angeles mayor Richard Riordan and I even read the other day that Jack Kemp is considering taking a shot at the job.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    AHNULD VILL DESTLOY ZE OPPOSITION!!

Hell, other than the Ducks, Tahoe and Yosemite, it might be the only thing California has going for it. Can you imagine the new motorist self-preservation laws he'll pass?

"I believe everyone has ze light to carry glenade lawnchas in zeya cahs, in odah to plotect zemselves on our highways!"
  • Reply 7 of 37
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the serious advanatage that arnold has over any other canidate is instant name recognition.

arnold may be able to do for California what Jesse Ventura did in Minnesota.

he brought out people who had never voted, but wanted to cast their ballot for a "real" man. a hero, someone that you'd be able to brag about if you met them. top that off with his being able to ride the success of T3, and i'd think he's the strongest repulican canidate.

add to that the fact that he has a drop dead gorgous wife, and it's a TV match made in heaven. the other thing is that Arnold seems to have been prepping for this for a while, although i'm sure he wasn't expecting it to happen the first year after the election. he'll never get a better shot.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I wonder if anyone in CA has actually bothered to check out AS's conservative credentials. Isn't he just more or less a fiscal conservative? I seem to remember that on just about everything else he's either moderate or even liberal (gun control, abortion, etc).

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 9 of 37
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Yeah Arnold is pretty socially liberal. I guess that is why he and Riordon are so closely linked. He is sort of a younger Riordon.

Arnold's only political action so far was that afterchool program bill which was a spending proposal. He does have great name recognition, but I think he would rather wait until he can get a full term. Even if a Republican wins it they could be ripe for a challenge in the primary next go around.

So far the last few Republican Governors from California have all been from Southern California and also been Pro-Choice Republicans.

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 37
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Yeah Arnold is pretty socially liberal. I guess that is why he and Riordon are so closely linked. He is sort of a younger Riordon.

Arnold's only political action so far was that afterchool program bill which was a spending proposal. He does have great name recognition, but I think he would rather wait until he can get a full term. Even if a Republican wins it they could be ripe for a challenge in the primary next go around.

So far the last few Republican Governors from California have all been from Southern California and also been Pro-Choice Republicans.

Nick

That's what I thought. I just wonder if the folks in CA calling for him to be the state's savior know what they're in for if he DOES get elected gov.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 11 of 37
    he can always ride on the "well, it was totally screwed up when i got here" defense. that would buy him at least two years.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    originally posted by dewprops

Quote:

This race is Arnold's to lose.

They said the same thing about Jesse Ventura, he won with a hell of a margin if I remember correctly. Plus he kept a very high approval rating through out his term. Wasn't Ventura a Reform party candidate?

As for Arnold, hell I think I'd vote for the man to be president even though he isn't a natural born citizen. He could take the governors office easy.

(imagine Arnold at a summit with Putin, Blair, Chirac, Schroeder etc... )
  • Reply 13 of 37
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    The dotcom bubble bursting was not the fault of gray davis. The poorly handled deregulation of the energy industry was not the fault of gray davis. Being raped by Enron in a time of dire need is not the fault of gray davis. The out of control spending is partially the fault of gray davis for not vetoing enough bills.

So, the guy doesn't veto enough and happens to be in office while a whole bunch of shit he didn't make hits the fan. It's retarded to even attempt to recall him over it.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wonder how many votes it takes to recall a President?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Originally posted by BRussell

Quote:

I wonder how many votes it takes to recall a President?

I believe 2/3rds majority of the House and the Senate??? Hasn't happened yet, the closest it probably ever came was Nixon, and he resigned before they could implement the impeachment process.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The dotcom bubble bursting was not the fault of gray davis.

No but spending like it never happened is...

Quote:

The poorly handled deregulation of the energy industry was not the fault of gray davis. Being raped by Enron in a time of dire need is not the fault of gray davis.

Davis flipped out. He signed expensive long term contracts and then later had to resell energy for pennies on the dollar. The reason we were at the mercy of outside forces is because of the "Not in my yard" mentality of many Californians who along with both Republican Governors and Democratic lawmakers had not approved a single new power plant in 10 years. Until the time of the blackouts Davis had followed the same pattern.

Likewise think about the fact that the blackouts were PLANNED. Doesn't that just raise a little suspicion? I mean I could understand if we were on the spot market and were unwilling to pay what was asked and thus plants were idled and we had brown/blackouts. However the blackouts were schedules and planned. Tomorrow at 12:00 pm these areas will have their power off. That to me means something is foul in Dodge City and it involves Davis as well.

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 37
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I hope he does not run. Who wants to inherit the mess?

Unless he runs on a ballot of secession. I always prat that CA and NY could remove themselves from the states.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

No but spending like it never happened is...Nick

Did you read the rest of my post? He didn't veto enough bills but the spending isn't entirely the fault of gray davis. A HUGE chunk of the blame gets squarely put on the shoulders of the legislature...you know, the people that pass the laws authorizing the spending...
  • Reply 19 of 37
    doesn't Cali have some huge percentage of theiir budget locked into education? my understanding was they passed laws saying they couldnt touch .edu dollars, and they've been screwed since.

i wonder if that means the kids will be smart enough to calculate out the intreest on $38 billion of debt.......
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

doesn't Cali have some huge percentage of theiir budget locked into education? my understanding was they passed laws saying they couldnt touch .edu dollars, and they've been screwed since.

i wonder if that means the kids will be smart enough to calculate out the intreest on $38 billion of debt.......

California is mandated to spend a minimum of 40% of their budget on education if I recall correctly.

Nick