Joy of Tech - Nitrozac's Father Passed Away

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I dropped by the Joy of Tech tonight and discovered that Nitrozac's father passed away. There's a note up there right now. Could happen to any of us who still have our Dads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    crap, this also happened to a friend of mine this past summer. her dad was in seemingly perfect health, then by the end of the weekend, he was gone. no warning. nothing. i'm not even sure what was the cause, since i would have felt ghoulish if i had asked. i just told her how sorry i was, and that if she needed anyone to talk to, to let me know.

my dad and i haven't spoken in over seven years. big falling out. he's really old. sometimes i wonder how he's doing, and feel bad for not having heard from him. i've tried tons of times with letters, cards, gifts, and phone calls (though he never answers the phone and never returns my calls). at least i have finally gotten him to start writing me back. at least it's something. i just hope i get to see him again before something happens...

nitrozac, if you read this, you have my sympathy.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    My grandfather just went into surgery, and he's 87, so he might not have much longer to live, either.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    How odd...my Dad was in a car accident yesterday. His first and only one in 53 years. A guy pulled out in front of him from a parking lot and Dad T-boned him. Nothing he could do. Ended up with 14 stitches in his head, but he's okay.

He called last night to tell me (he'd been at the emergency room for four hours, waiting to get looked at). Why he didn't call me from there, I don't know.

But yes, when he called last night, we ended up having the longest talk, just about life and "the small things". Puts everything into perspective REALLY quick.

I was sad that the wreck happened, but considering that he was going about 50mph and it was pretty much an unavoidable, direct hit it dawned on me, after hanging up, that instead of talking to him and learning that he's doing fine, I just as easily could've been talking to my sister or aunt and trying to hash out funeral arrangements.

What an awful, sick feeling that came over me when I realized that.

What the guy wrote in that paragraph above his cartoon rings SO true. And he's right.

The timing on this is so freaky...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I lost my dad my first year at college when I was 18.

It's not fun. I'm 33 now and although it seems very matter-of-fact now, it's amazing how often I think about him 15 years later.

A word of advice for the young guys here.. Think about how old you want to be at the time of your youngest kid's high school graduation. Then do the math. Wait to late and you'll miss seeing your kids as adults.

MSKR
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I dropped by the Joy of Tech tonight and discovered that Nitrozac's father passed away. There's a note up there right now. Could happen to any of us who still have our Dads.

I'd like to express my condolences to Nitrozac, i've been reading the website for about a year and a half now and it's brilliant. When I read the note my parents were away in Italy at the time so I rang to say hi.

I want to put some meaningful quote here but I can't think of anything.

But I hope Joy of Tech will resume, it's one of my favourite sites.