What happened to codenames?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone hear the codenames of recently released hardware?

How about upcoming projects?

I guess the lack of codenames lately is a sign of how tight Apple is with info these days.... or it could mean they just aren't developing anything..... or..... whatever

Apparently some stuff just goes by designations now like P38 or something

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Project Dark Star
  • Reply 2 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Project "Goodbye Moto"?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    timactimac Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Anyone hear the codenames of recently released hardware?

Despite some reports, a common codename of the Power Mac G5 was "Omega"--in addition to the Q38 or whatever designation it got. And yes, sportsfans, Omega was used once before...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    This in not hardware, but Xcode seems to berefered to as "Tachyon".
  • Reply 5 of 10
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    The G5 was Omega or something like that... There were postings on the codenames of iSight and soundtrack I believe.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I thought the G5 was neo? and we all know that 10.2.7 is smeagol
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Perhaps we just don't see as many for recent hardware because it's so recent. For example, many people here know that various PowerMac G4 models went by the names Yikes!, Sawtooth, Mystic, and Trinity (the Cube). There were the Yosemite and Gossamer PowerMac G3s, the Kanga, Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo PowerBook G3s, and the Mercury, Onyx, and Ivory PowerBook G4s. However... I'm not sure on the code names for the latest (867 MHz/1 GHz) PowerBook G4 revision. Neither do I know the code names for any PowerMacs since the Mystic (barring Quicksilver). I don't know ANY of the iBook code names, and the only iMac ones I know are Columbus and Kihei. Perhaps it's going out of style, or maybe we will just need to wait a little longer.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Neo is the processor and Omega is the actual Power Mac G5 system, IIRC.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Codename "Project Milo".
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I think all products get a letter / number codename from Apple, and the really interesting ones get a name above and beyond that. So perhaps not all of the G4s did have actual codenames other than their letter / number.