Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I figured we'd separate this thread from the main OS X Panther one. Anybody who is running this build post here!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    According to ThinkSecret, it's a major overhaul as far as stability and range of technologies affected. Enough bug fixes that they didn't want to list them all. Call it DP2 I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 1176
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    There's really no need for two Panther threads. The differences don't really warrant another thread IMO. But I'm not a Mod so we'll see.
  • Reply 3 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Generally I agree. It's just really confusing when people are posting info and some newbies are like, "It doesn't do that in mine!" then we'll have the whole 20 post thread explaining which version it's in. It's just nice to know if people are talking about something it's for 7b21.
  • Reply 4 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hurm. I'm torn. I hate redundant threads, but you're right, there's been a spate of confusion in the other thread. Let's let this one live for now, since it looks like the B series is sufficiently different that it will create even yet more confusion.
  • Reply 5 of 1176
    So far what I've heard is mondo bug fixes and performance boosts across the board. Haven't been told of any new features really. Just much more polished than the DP1 build.
  • Reply 6 of 1176
    For all the build-up in devloper previews this version is getting, this better be one orgasm of an operating system.
  • Reply 7 of 1176
    I already came twice I think.

kidding. That might happen when I get my G5 though. Once when I open the box, and again when I boot it and launch Photoshop in record time.

• Reply 8 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    This is a silly question, but I've heard Chess has been updated with true 3-D graphics (including reflections). Neat.

But here's the question. Have they added as well an easier level of difficulty to that cursed program?
  • Reply 9 of 1176
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    In all likelyhood, the 3d chess is just a port of GLChess. I'm guessing; I haven't seen screenshots of the new chess.

Yes, GnuChess is damn hard. Even 'easy' is impossibly difficult for a n00b like me. Damn you computer!!!
  • Reply 10 of 1176
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

Generally I agree. It's just really confusing when people are posting info and some newbies are like, "It doesn't do that in mine!" then we'll have the whole 20 post thread explaining which version it's in. It's just nice to know if people are talking about something it's for 7b21.

no doubt. I don't think we'll see too many updates for Panther anyways but who knows. I'm still hoping for some suprise features. Keep those reports coming in!
  • Reply 11 of 1176
    Something interesting worth noting:

This build comes with a new voice Vicki that weighs in at a whopping 45.4 MB! Compare that to Agnes, Bruce, and Victoria, the current "high quality" voices, at 1.6 MB each and you may get an idea of the major change here.

MacinTalk has been updated from version 3.1 to version 3.2.

I'll record an audio clip later this afternoon.
  • Reply 12 of 1176
    Blah. The voice sucks. It's barely any better than Victoria. However, all of the voices sound a little odd. It would seem that some other improvements are on the way for MacinTalk that aren't yet complete.

There are a number of other cool changes here, though. I'll make detailed posts like I did with the previous sticky later this evening.

In the mean time, the terminal geeks can drool over this:

Quote:

Last login: Mon Jul 28 10:39:02 on console

-bash-2.05b$

It's the new default. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Say hello to bash.
  • Reply 13 of 1176
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It's the new default. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Say hello to bash.

Only because tcsh doesn't support UTF-8.
  • Reply 14 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Blah. The voice sucks. It's barely any better than Victoria.

I would think they would have to swap out for a totally new speech technology. Sounds like Vicki was some sort of stab at Victoria using the existing tech, but I imagine they will either license another or develop their own tech. Or maybe Vicki is interoperable with existing and new (unseen) voice tech, and sounds that much better with the (imagined) new stuff? I dunno.

They haven't really invested in voice since 1985, and I've assumed since the Jag UE guidelines came out they this would become a priority with Panther.

I wait with baited breathe for the new screenies.
  • Reply 15 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I wait with baited breathe for the new screenies.

Oh, it'll be well worth the wait. I'm at 37 snapshots plus one video of new changes so far.

Did I mention that Safari 1.1 v89 is included too?
  • Reply 16 of 1176
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    one improvement id really like to see in terminal

is tabbed windows

take a look at konsole the term app that comes

with kde.

makes using/managing multiple terminals extremely easy

& its one feature well worth looking into
  • Reply 17 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh lord. MDI lives. Again.
  • Reply 18 of 1176
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

is tabbed windows

with kde.

Cmd-[n]. Been there since at least Cheetah. Allows you to switch among (up to 9) windows of arbitrary size.

I've used konsole. Cmd-[n] is far preferable to how Konsole handles things.

Or, if you like, you could use Exposé
  • Reply 19 of 1176
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Oh, it'll be well worth the wait. I'm at 37 snapshots plus one video of new changes so far.

Did I mention that Safari 1.1 v89 is included too?

i always look foward to your thorough review brad...you do such a good job for those of us who decided to wait till the final panther release before instaling unlike jag which caused some slight problems

(no i'm not just trying to suck up)
  • Reply 20 of 1176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

is tabbed windows

with kde.

It's called cmd-N.