Firewire hard drive not mounting...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all. I'm on a friend's computer and he's running Mac OS 9.0.4. I'm helping him clean off his hard drive in preparation for the Mac OS X Installation I'm gonna do for him soon. I wanna take a folder that he wants to save and make a copy of it to a firewire drive I brought with me. The only problem is: OS 9.0.4 won't mount the drive not matter what I do. I got the Firewire update for 9.0.4... I've done everything I can think of... Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Hi all. I'm on a friend's computer and he's running Mac OS 9.0.4. I'm helping him clean off his hard drive in preparation for the Mac OS X Installation I'm gonna do for him soon. I wanna take a folder that he wants to save and make a copy of it to a firewire drive I brought with me. The only problem is: OS 9.0.4 won't mount the drive not matter what I do. I got the Firewire update for 9.0.4... I've done everything I can think of... Any suggestions?

If you're an iBook owner, network the iBook with his computer, then hook up the firewire hd to your iBook, share it, and copy the files over the network.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

If you're an iBook owner, network the iBook with his computer, then hook up the firewire hd to your iBook, share it, and copy the files over the network.

Okay I'm at home now on my iBook... At the time I was at my friend's I didn't have my iBook with me.. Thanks anyway...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Alternatively, restart his machine in firewire target disk mode (hold down "T" while restarting and then connect the firewire cable when the orange logo appears on screen - do not connect the cable before this).

You can now treat his machine as if it were a firewire disk and simply drag all of the files off onto another machine. If you can daisy chain the firewire disk (i.e. if it has two ports) then you should be able to drag the files off his machine onto the fw disk from a third machine, (e.g. your iBook) on which both his computer and the drive are mounted.

This is a lot faster and easier than ethernet or airport networking, and you don't have to worry about OS files being in use, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The issue may be that if you formatted your firewire drive in OS X, you may not have made it OS 9 recognizable.