Best DVD cataloging app?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just want an app where I can enter ISBN nos. and the DVD is added to my database.

Is there any app that does this besides the horrendous Java crapware Readerware? I refuse to touch that app. And for $40, I wouldn't even consider using it to lookup, export, then import into my app of choice. That's just way too expensive for a program that bad.

The best non-automated DVD app I can find is DVD@home. Great interface, and good database layout. Data entry is tricky, and nothing can be automated, but otherwise it's nice.

Any other suggestions? The new DVD Cache 0.4.2 can look up videos online by title, but it's far too limited and too slow.

I need to catalog about 500 DVDs, so I don't want to enter them by hand. Then there are the thousands of VCDs I have. It would be nice if the app could handle these, too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dvd cache

is nice, easy and free, i have version .30 and this is .42 so i hope it hasn't gotten bolloxed up.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

dvd cache

is nice, easy and free, i have version .30 and this is .42 so i hope it hasn't gotten bolloxed up.

oh lovely i didn't read your whole post....well shame on me then, i'll just be over here pissing off.

attention span of a gnat you know....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    actually i have made up a couple of titles on my own, that weren't listed.

i just picked an ersatz title then edited it from scratch. worked fine.

it's rather like iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Anything support the USB Cuecat?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    I am using DVDProfiler with Virtual PC. This combo is working well for my extensive collection.

DVDProfiler website

bob
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    www.guzzlefish.com

No barcode ability but it's free and it tracks your CDs, games and DVDs.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

www.guzzlefish.com

No barcode ability but it's free and it tracks your CDs, games and DVDs.

Um, they do have a UPC search function.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Is there a way in DVD Cache to make separate Libraries, so I can catalog mine, and my brother can catalog his. Also, how do you change the picture for the movie? I can't figure it out. I like this app, but it seems to be lacking? Maybe not, since it is free.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Most of my titles are not US edition and therefore unlikely to be in IMDB.

IMDb is the largest database of movies in the world. It even has pre/post production movies that have yet to come out.

It maybe that DVD Cache just does not support Unicode but the movies are in the database.