T-Mobile Sidekick r0x0z

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I had a case of gadget lust and decided that I need a new toy. After looking at the SE p800 or SE t610 I found the sidekick. I went out yesterday knowing that I was going to take T-Mobile up on their 14 day money back program and try the sidekick. It is about the size of a bar of soap with a large color screen and very usable keyboard. Infact this is the best keyboard I have used on any non-laptop device. I love being able to use AIM, check my email, and surf the web. The only issue is that there is no syncing with Mac or PC software, but the web site is not so bad. But the proof is in the pudding... I am posting this from the sidekick right now. :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "The only issue is that there is no syncing with Mac or PC software"

Do some Googling on this--t_moble 0wnz you, and can erase apps off the sidekick at will--in fact, they have already done so. Too locked in a format for me--I own my gadgets, not vice versa.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"The only issue is that there is no syncing with Mac or PC software"

Do some Googling on this--t_moble 0wnz you, and can erase apps off the sidekick at will--in fact, they have already done so. Too locked in a format for me--I own my gadgets, not vice versa.

are you serious! i wouldn't go near one then. not that i have anything to hide of course...

• Reply 3 of 15
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    C'mon, like this is the only thing where the vendor changes the feature set after it introduced. The only thing that was changed was that some lame games were taken off. No big deal. Plus they put two more "easter egg" games in their place. The features that the sidekick offers more than make up for lack of a few games. And the sidekick gives you the option to not install the updates, so you can opt out of the upgrade.

It's not like Apple has ever taken features out of software after it has been released, iTunes 4.0.1, I'm looking at you.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Apple doesn't have a proprietary lock on all my personal data, then not allow it to speak with other systems. People can buy into it if they like, but it's a bad idea and the market is catching on to that.

If you trust T-mobile, you have nothing to fear.

*laughter in background*
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Trust T-Mobile with what? My telephone numbers and the Met's games? I trust them with much more valuable info like giving out my social security number so I could get the phone. I trust Apple with the same thing by syncing over dot mac. I don't get it, what's the big deal? Yeah it's a closed platform, but not for long. The developer tools have been released and new apps are about a month away. After two days of heavy use the sidekick has performed wonderfuly.

p.s. mrmister, when am I going to see you at Starbucks again?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Eh, I just don't like the way they've handled the whole thing--the dev tools should have been free to start with. I think people feel burned by them because expectations were so high, and there was no coherent reason for them to lock their users in so tightly. I just don't understand what their angle has been.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    its not just about trust, its about them having the ability to delete all your info on the phone when you cancel your service without giving you a way to back it up. If you put an application on it that they don't like they can just delete it. It would be intresting to see if they talk about this at all in the contract, "t-mobile has the right to delete anything from your phone at their discretion" or something like that
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Well, the Sidekick is out. Not because of me waking up to some sinister plot by T-Mobile to steal all of my personal info, but because the sucker was just too big. Without the ear bud talking on it was impossible and trying to keep the ear bud from getting tangled was just as impossible. So to replace it I went with the Sony Ericsson T616, the American Cousin to the T610. And so far it is surpassing all of my expectations.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    "its not just about trust, its about them having the ability to delete all your info on the phone when you cancel your service without giving you a way to back it up."

I'd say that falls under "trust" as well.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

I'd say that falls under "trust" as well.

true

Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

So to replace it I went with the Sony Ericsson T616, the American Cousin to the T610. And so far it is surpassing all of my expectations.

ooh ooh its out? your in NY, what service has it?

edit: "replace" that must mean t-mobile? hows your call reception with them?

yuck, they defaced it with that fugly t-mobie logo i'll have to scratch it off.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

true

ooh ooh its out? your in NY, what service has it?

edit: "replace" that must mean t-mobile? hows your call reception with them?

yuck, they defaced it with that fugly t-mobie logo i'll have to scratch it off.

I got it from Cingular. It is the T616, which has GSM 850 not 900. Also it has a newer firmware so a lot of the issues that people had with the T610 are gone. So far I have not gotten less than four bars anywhere, including at Penn Station. Well, I don't get service in the subway, but that is to be expected.

edited to not "sound stupid"
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I was just going to say, T-Mobile has no GSM 850, so why would the offer the T616 (in fact, only Cingular does, and it is *so* *little* that when you say it has been "tuned to American GSM" you sound really stupid). Furthermore, the T610 has the same updated firmware, just the T610 came out first, before the update was issued. You can get the new T610s most everywhere. But Cingy.. eek. You know, they are just using roaming agreements with T-Mobile in NYC (possibly all NY).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

you sound really stupid)

Hey don't be so mean

Quote:

But Cingy.. eek. You know, they are just using roaming agreements with T-Mobile in NYC (possibly all NY).

Its that really true? I alwase wondered what was up with them.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

But Cingy.. eek. You know, they are just using roaming agreements with T-Mobile in NYC (possibly all NY).

So? I have had very bad experiences with T-Mobile customer service in the past and did not want to sign up with them again, but the sidekick was too tempting. However with the sidekick going back there was no reason to stay with them. If it's the same network then it should not matter who I signed up with.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    do you know if there is a SSH client for it?

that would be handy for me.