Overclocking Processor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have often heard people referring to over-clocking a computer, but I don't know how to do it or what it really achieves. Can anyone suggest any ways to over-clock my processor, and explain how it works and is it good or bad for my mac? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

It usually involves setting some jumpers and soldering some wire.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Overclocking is interesting only for prolonging the life of an old computer and to allow it to perform tasks that he is not any more to do in his current state.

Overclok void the warranty, and may destroy the chip and the mobo. Never try this on a brand new computer.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Essentially you make your processor run faster than it's specified speed. The processor type and cooling system of the chip, among other things, affect how much faster you can make the processor run.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I've been curious about this too.

Looking at what has to be done to overclock the current dual G4s, it looks like it takes a very delicate hand. Are there special soldering tools or techniques that will make this easier? (I.e., is there something different from your standard iron that looks like a pencil and a coil of wire for doing this sort of thing? Are the jumper-resistors accomanied by wire connectors that are substantial enouch that you do not need additional wire to make the connection?)

Anyone in NYC particularly good at this? One day (but not any time too soon) I may try to jazz up my dual 867 into a dual 1Ghz.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How bout overclocking G5s!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How bout overclocking G5s!

• Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by joesph mother

I've been curious about this too.

Looking at what has to be done to overclock the current dual G4s, it looks like it takes a very delicate hand. Are there special soldering tools or techniques that will make this easier? (I.e., is there something different from your standard iron that looks like a pencil and a coil of wire for doing this sort of thing? Are the jumper-resistors accomanied by wire connectors that are substantial enouch that you do not need additional wire to make the connection?)

Anyone in NYC particularly good at this? One day (but not any time too soon) I may try to jazz up my dual 867 into a dual 1Ghz.

I wouldn't overclock the G4's, actually I wouldn't overclock any mac if it involves soldering anything onto the mobo. Remember that moto had troubles increasing the G4s clock frequency in general, thus you're screwed if you ended up with a G4 which just doesn't go any higher than which it is already rated at. Though I'm sure you could overclock it by at least -/+ 50Mhz but a whole 200MHz is a bit far.

There's likely a reason that that machine got a 867MHz chip. If it would have been able to go any higher it would have likely ended up in a 1GHz mac.

Overclocking a PC is much more viable since, if one doesn't have a shitty intel mobo, one can most often just change settings in the BIOS and thus control voltage, FSB, and of course the clock frequency. Asus is the best when it comes to overclocking.