Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Yeah the new archive .zip thing needs work. It looks like they hacked in possibly an open source one. Let us all hope this feature stays in. I'm guessing they are trying to more closely match the feature set of windows.

As much as I liked the Aladdin team, and would be sad to see them gone, it's too much to use their poorly coded apps.
  • Reply 62 of 1176
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

As much as I liked the Aladdin team, and would be sad to see them gone, it's too much to use their poorly coded apps.

Are they really that poorly coded? If so, I never noticed it. Plus, it doesn't look like the Finder's taking over archive expansion. Zipping a file is simple enough. I don't think it'll take much Stuffit business. (Who buys that program, anyway?)
  • Reply 63 of 1176
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    Do my eyes see this? Did they fix the addressbook/mail photo bug?

Brad... do Photos in your addressbook show up in your mail from that person?

BZ

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Mail

Mail now comes with four gorgeous alert sounds for Fetch Error, Mail Sent, New Mail, and No Mail.

Mail - Viewer using thread view on messages I replied to myself

hail to the cash!! [/B]

• Reply 64 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BZ

Do my eyes see this? Did they fix the addressbook/mail photo bug?

Brad... do Photos in your addressbook show up in your mail from that person?

BZ

It's probably the photo he put in his .Mac account. The photo I uploaded to my .Mac account is visible in messages I write.
  • Reply 65 of 1176
    Yes they show up quite nicely now. Not sure how they showed up before but for some reason they caught my eye this time around.

It's very cool. Now if only I had good pictures of all my friends!

Also if this may not be new, but if you have a message highlighted and go to make a new rule, it automatically puts the highlighted persons email address into the rule. The little Apple touches.
  • Reply 66 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by alex_kac

Multi-session burning has been around for awhile. Its in Disc Copy. I use it every so often in Jag.

Am I so daft the I used Jaguar for a year a never knew you could burn multiple sessions?

I could have sworn this was not the case.
  • Reply 67 of 1176
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Resize volumes in Panther? Very nice, very very nice.. i'm stunned no one noticed:

Disk Utility - main window

Please test this function if you have the opportunity. There might be a section of this feature in the Help-documentation.
  • Reply 68 of 1176
    I tried, but it's grayed out. I think it hasn't been enabled yet. Any word on how I can turn off verify when mounting .dmg disk images? For me it just wastes time. Apple looks like they are actualy catching up the the windows feature set, or at least trying to :-)

Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Resize volumes in Panther? Very nice, very very nice.. i'm stunned no one noticed:

Disk Utility - main window

Please test this function if you have the opportunity. There might be a section of this feature in the Help-documentation.

• Reply 69 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Seems odd. I assume it only works on non-startup volumes, but doesn't it need to format the volume when you do it?
  • Reply 70 of 1176
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    Three quick questions:

1. The System Preferences Appearance Pane has a check box to "Minimize when double-clicking window title bar". What happens when you double-click a window title bar with this preference unchecked?

2. I read somewhere else that there is a way to access up to four (4) different Places Panes/Sidebars in the Finder. Is this true?

3. When you switch to the "Classic Finder" with the toolbar widget, does the Finder maintain a strict one-window-to-folder relationship like the OS 9 Finder?
  • Reply 71 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Hmm, might that be for disk images and not actual HDD partitions?
  • Reply 72 of 1176
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imho

3. When you switch to the "Classic Finder" with the toolbar widget, does the Finder maintain a strict one-window-to-folder relationship like the OS 9 Finder?

YES

I already posted about this in the other thread
  • Reply 73 of 1176
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    you mean to say, that when in list view in the classic finder aqua view, with one folder expanded (ie triangle vertical), double clicing on the folder will actually unexpand its contents in the list view window?

If so, this is finally rhe return of the spatial finder. I doubt it though.
  • Reply 74 of 1176
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Am I so daft the I used Jaguar for a year a never knew you could burn multiple sessions?

I could have sworn this was not the case.

It's there, just extremely unintuitive and non mac-like.

If you burn ten different times, you get 10 CD images when you put it into your comp!

At least that's what happens to me. Maybe I haven't completely figured it out either.
  • Reply 75 of 1176
    katekate Posts: 172member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Here they come, boys and girls. Hope you enjoy.

I do.

Could you tell about what is happening when you click on the Network icon in the Finder window. Does a list of available servers, networked machines etc. show up?
  • Reply 76 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Is FontBook the same version as previously seen? If not, does it auto-activate fonts?
  • Reply 77 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

you mean to say, that when in list view in the classic finder aqua view, with one folder expanded (ie triangle vertical), double clicing on the folder will actually unexpand its contents in the list view window?

I believe this is the case in Panther.

Quote:

If so, this is finally the return of the spatial finder. I doubt it though.

Such skepticism! I don't see why Apple wouldn't offer a fully spatial (or at the very least, as spatial-as-possible) Finder as an option -- it's not a huge amount of effort to work right, and will quiet a great deal of discontent from a rather vocal group.

Besides, in non-browse mode, it makes sense.
  • Reply 78 of 1176
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Skepticism is due to the fact that as of the WWDC Preview, the above mentionned "spatialness" involving list view doesn't work right

I see the "dual mode" finder as a step in the right direction though
  • Reply 79 of 1176
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

It's there, just extremely unintuitive and non mac-like.

If you burn ten different times, you get 10 CD images when you put it into your comp!

At least that's what happens to me. Maybe I haven't completely figured it out either.

Toast does this also...i thought it was how all burning programs worked
  • Reply 80 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    If it's technically possible (should be easy), then IMO should CD's burned with multiple sessions apparantly appear as a normal CD on the desktop/in the finder, labeled as something generic like 'multisession CD' (or more intuitive, of course), and when opened - it'd display all the sessions as folders or CD's. Or maybe this functionality could be triggered by a configurable threshold, like if there is more than three sessions - represent the CD as one volume (with the sessions inside) on the desktop, and if there's three or less - display every session as separate discs...

Okay, messy post, but I hope you understand what I intended to say

Comments?