Failed Apple products worth more?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Kind of a strange phenomenum when a failed product becomes more sought after than some of the current models.

Of course there's the Cube, the lime iBook, and the sage coloured iMac.

Now, obviously this is not the case with all failed Macs...two words --iMac Dalmation.

Although, who knows, could it in the future be worth more because it's so rare?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Because the failed ones are usually the strangest and rarest of them all!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Oddly enough, I am trying to locate a Blue Dalmatian or Flower Power iMac right now, and they are hard to come by. A couple of Dalmatians have gone for decent prices on eBay, but the ones I find at resellers are overpriced, up to $750.

I bought a Dalmatian on closeout after they were discontinued. I sold it last summer to pay for my PowerBook and now I wish I hadn't, I miss it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Kind of a strange phenomenum when a failed product becomes more sought after than some of the current models.

Of course there's the Cube, the lime iBook, and the sage coloured iMac.

Now, obviously this is not the case with all failed Macs...two words --iMac Dalmation.

Although, who knows, could it in the future be worth more because it's so rare?

The Sage iMacs are rare!?!

Does that mean if I were to sell mine on eBay I'd get more then $300-400 the iMac DV line currently sells for?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Oddly enough, I am trying to locate a Blue Dalmatian or Flower Power iMac right now, and they are hard to come by. A couple of Dalmatians have gone for decent prices on eBay, but the ones I find at resellers are overpriced, up to $750.

I bought a Dalmatian on closeout after they were discontinued. I sold it last summer to pay for my PowerBook and now I wish I hadn't, I miss it.

My wife has a Flowerpower. still runs good too, we also have a tangerine ibook, G4 Cube, Indigo Imac, and 17" 1ghz IMac.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I thought this was going to be about Hypercard....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I like the Flower Power iMac... the best colour/pattern ever.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Why did Apple drop the coloured range of products?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

The Sage iMacs are rare!?!

Does that mean if I were to sell mine on eBay I'd get more then $300-400 the iMac DV line currently sells for?

Actually I was thinking maybe 30 years down the road, an original gumdrop bondi blue iMac would be a collectors item...but a dalmation or flower power would be worth even more.

However today, you won't get much for them.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Blue is my fav color not green but Sage iMacs and Key Lime iBooks are damn cool.. I need to get a key lime iBook for my sister. She wants one desperately! Anyone have one?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

Because everyone else started doing it?

I think Apple could have taken it a bit further though, how about a graphite iPod?

The colours finished when Apple tried flower-power iMac's, the new white iBook came out and gradually everything changed.

The one thing I wish I could see is a 20th anniversary Mac, how about for the next anniversary Apple re-release an old model but with new specs. Plus why don't Apple come up with more concept computers like motor companies are doing all the time?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

Probably because everyone else and their cousin started to do it, with everything imaginable. so they probably figured "well, it doesnt distinguish our computers anymore"
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Plus why don't Apple come up with more concept computers like motor companies are doing all the time?

Apple has dozens of concepts going all the time, but unlike car companies, computer companies generally don't show their concepts. The competition is far too quick to steal and copy. There's a great book on the history of Apple design that shows hundreds of products that never made it past the design or prototype stage.

This is where rumors of video iPods and Apple PDAs come from. Of course Apple has such devices in various stages of design and development. But most of them will never see the light of day.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Apple has dozens of concepts going all the time, but unlike car companies, computer companies generally don't show their concepts. The competition is far too quick to steal and copy. There's a great book on the history of Apple design that shows hundreds of products that never made it past the design or prototype stage.

This is where rumors of video iPods and Apple PDAs come from. Of course Apple has such devices in various stages of design and development. But most of them will never see the light of day.

I think he means something that I have also suggested before, that Apple have a special limited edition "design" line of macs. And every so many months release a new conceptual design mac in a limited quantity.

Nuts would pay big money for it even though history might not show that, at least in my opinion. I'd love to see some killer designs come out of Apple. They've become so boring and conservative. I'm utterly dissapointed with the G5 tower despite it looking good. It's just not the same. And how much white can one have on consumer electronics? yawn
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I think he means something that I have also suggested before, that Apple have a special limited edition "design" line of macs. And every so many months release a new conceptual design mac in a limited quantity.

I don't know a vast amount about manufacturing, but my guess is that this would be more expensive than Apple could justify. Tooling and production costs, packaging design and production, and on and on. I think it's the kind of thing they could do every so often, like the 20th Anniversary Mac, but at the same time I wonder how bad a bath they took on that model.

If there's one thing Apple CANNOT seem to do, it's get a good handle on expected demand. They either underestimate or (in the case of the Cube) wildly overestimate. So I'd hate to have them invest a lot of money in a limited-run project that had to sell in X volume in order to recoup its cost.