Business Card Scanner

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a pile of about 500 business cards on my desk that I've collected from various conventions, meetings etc. I know I can't be the only one who finds the task of typing these in a waste of time.

There is a solution for Windows available called CardScan. I can't for the life of me figure out why this hasn't been ported to Mac OS X.

It's USB, so we know the frameworks for that exist. With the hooks to Image Capture and the MacOS X Address book, everything except the OCR software (which they already have) is built into Jaguar.

Can someone explain why a Mac version of this software shouldn't be trivial to build in Cocoa? With Macs being used in a lot of personal/small businesses, this should be a no-brainer.

Since CardScan won't likely be showing up anytime soon, anyone know about any other Mac solutions? I have an HP Scanjet 3570c, and the letter-size flatbed could hold 10 cards at a time.

Some enterprising third party could certainly mold a $1.00 piece of plastic into a letter-size 10 card holder. Then write a scanner driver that OCRs 10 cards at a time, allows you to make corrections and dumps the info into Address Book.

I'd buy it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I feel you pain - one main reason I keep a windows machine around is to scan in 400 cards a month using CardScan - if it can to mac I would buy it in a heartbeat.