"Apple should buy..." ...today i'm thinking SGI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
SGI has their stock price sitting at about $1.13 a share which puts their market cap at 230 million.

that's a lot of powerhouse technology patents for less than a 1/4 billion.

SGI and OpenGL Architecture Review Board Announce OpenGL 1.5 Specification, Introducing Support for Revolutionary OpenGL Shading Language

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...1990079&EDATE=

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Apple should buy Macromedia. Imagine Apple's pro line-up

Final-Cut Pro

DVD Studio

Shake

Pro Logic

Flash

Dreamweaver

Freehand

Shockwave

Director

FireWorks

Authorware

I would be a very impressive line-up.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Apple should start using that cash for SOMETHING... even dividends!!!

its just sitting there... i wonder if I can convince them to let me play a game of monopoly with it... I promise I won't lose any!

oh and roxio doesn't look like a bad target either... but I don't think it would work out (imagine apple got in trouble for anti-trust and microsoft didn't!)

hell while we are at it... why not acquire adobe too?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Microsoft has already raided SGI for anything of value. I doubt there's much to gain from that purchase.

Purchasing Macromedia would be cause Adobe to have a fit.

Roxio wouldn't be a bad purchase. There's nothing really that would trigger and anti trust investigation here at all.

I would expect that if Apple acquires anyone it will be someone small and probably in the Digital Video area.

Apple could probably buy Native Instruments and actually clean up their buggy code LOL.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

anti trust investigation here at all.

I get pissed off when people call or allude to Apple being a monopoly. Are you fücking kidding me?! That's like saying Ford has a monopoly because they sell their cars with seats and tires! Apple is so small compared to Microsoft it's not even funny. Definitely not funny. They should keep buying little companies like Roxio that make key apps to stab PC users in the eye. No Shake for you! No Logic for you! And now...no Flash for you! So much on the internet depends on Flash. They would deserve a flaky Flash port on Windoze. They cancelled Mac IE. And bought VPC and it looks like they're killing it. So they deserve it. SMACK! No www.romp.com for you!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Apple should buy Macromedia. Imagine Apple's pro line-up

Final-Cut Pro

DVD Studio

Shake

Pro Logic

Flash

Dreamweaver

Freehand

Shockwave

Director

FireWorks

Authorware

I would be a very impressive line-up.

(Emphasis added)

And what? Force more Windows users on to Front Page!?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple should buy a monkey.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

(Emphasis added)

And what? Force more Windows users on to Front Page!?

FrontPage users probably alread drawf Dreamweaver users on the Windows platform.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Apple should buy Apple Corp, the Beatles record label, or at least the name or something so then they'd officially be able to call themselves Apple. Not Apple Computers Inc. It would look som much better.

Buying either Macromedia or Roxio would be cool though.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Apple and Sun makes more sense to me.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Who should Apple buy? Hmmm...

Perhaps a game manufacturer. It would help to get games for the Mac first. Then the pc.

Maybe something industrial... A company that manufactures some sort of prototyping equipment such as CNC machines or welding robots... This gets small businesses interested in Mac for when they grow to BIG BUSINESSES...

Palm... Could be interesting except they are loosing money right now.

I think the best thing they could do is invest that money in R&D. They seem to have a knack for coming up with cool things. I think they need to invent a set of products that are collectively termed "living the cyber life."
  • Reply 11 of 25
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    They should ice cream for everyone.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Now that would be funny, seeing how Sun was looking to buy Apple not so many years ago.

If Apple subsequently bought Disney...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Macromedia would be a killer acquisition!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    ariari Posts: 126member
    What about Adobe?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    One part of SGI that would be cool for Apple to own would Alias.

iMaya?!?!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Who should Apple buy? Hmmm...

Perhaps a game manufacturer. It would help to get games for the Mac first. Then the pc.

On that note - I think it would have been awesome if Apple would have bought Bungie. If that could have happened I would have flown to CA to kiss Steve, imagine if Halo came out on the world's fastest computer and also came WITH it?!?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

One part of SGI that would be cool for Apple to own would Alias.

iMaya?!?!

That would be great. And we'd finally get Maya Unlimited.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

i wouldn't mind this myself, but something several of us here in ai have forgotten (or ne'er learnt) is in order for company A to `buy' company B, they must have cash/valuables which can buy a controlling amount of company B's stock (>50%) (in one style of takeover, in another less likely takeover situation, B could willingly undervalue their worth in a sale to co A). in order to see just how expensive a company is to buy (at current stock value) you divide market capitalization by two (where market cap=total outstanding shares x price per share). Apple's is about $7.5B (american). Adobe is about the same. Sun is over $12B. (all according to yahoo). In order for a company to be able to buy Sun, they would have to get ~$6B worth of stock. Apple's $230M in free cash could hardly buy them, nor any of the companies suggested. (and for the alternate buyout idea, its unlikely that a mutli-billion dollar company is going to value itself at less than 300M without excessive use of halluciongenic or other psychotropic substances).
  • Reply 19 of 25
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That would be great. And we'd finally get Maya Unlimited.

Not only that. but discontinue development for Windoze!!

Now that would be evil, but I like it.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    actually,

Apple has about 4 Billion in cash on the sidelines and could easily secure at least another 500 Million from a bank. [probably considerably more]

Roxio was the move but i think they missed their window.

Macromedia would be great but it's nearly impossible as Adobe would immediately stop production of Photoshop for mac and all it's other mac products.

Photoshop is a pointy stick against Apple's neck. it really is.

if Steve really likes "...to have options"

he's going to have find those options in a world that knows no Photoshop equivalent nor will it for the foreseeable future.