Find me a phone! (Come join in)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
We seem to have loads of people on here who know a lot about phones. I thought this could be a thread for us less knowledgeable folk to list what we want in a phone and have people suggest phones for us to consider.

I want:
  • Bluetooth

• iSync (over bluetooth)

• Organiser features

• Colour

• GSM 1800mhz

• A decent keypad - large keys and in standard layout. (So not the Nokia 3650)

• I'll consider PalmOS phones, if they have bluetooth and don't need a hands free kit to speak into.

Any suggestions?

If you're looking for a phone, post your own list.

Amorya

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

We seem to have loads of people on here who know a lot about phones. I thought this could be a thread for us less knowledgeable folk to list what we want in a phone and have people suggest phones for us to consider.

I want:

Bluetooth
    iSync (over bluetooth)
    Organiser features
    Colour
    GSM 1800mhz
    A decent keypad - large keys and in standard layout. (So not the Nokia 3650)
    I'll consider PalmOS phones, if they have bluetooth and don't need a hands free kit to speak into.

Any suggestions?

If you're looking for a phone, post your own list.

Amorya

Personally, I'm waiting for the Motorola V500/600. That thing is gonna rock.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Amorya,

Looking at the spec, I think your best bet is the Sony Ericsson T610:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/

I don't have one, but it looks quite good.

I currently own a Nokia 6310i phone - it meets some of your requirements except for the colour screen, and I don't think it will sync using Bluetooth and iSync . Apart from that, it's a fantastic phone and the battery last for eons .

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I know you've ruled out the Nokia 3650 because of the non-standard keypad, but it meets all of your other requirements and is a wonderful phone. I would strongly reconsider it...
  • Reply 4 of 40
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    My T610 should arrive any day now, so I'll post a few thoughts when it does.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I have my T616 now!

This is a great phone period. It meets all of your requirements. The only issue is that it is expensive. Otherwise, get it, you won't regret it.

Some places to customize it:

Mobileida

My T610

The other thing to note is that any midi file can be used as a ringtone. I love not having to pay for my ringtones, with the T610 it is free.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by highfalutintodd

I know you've ruled out the Nokia 3650 because of the non-standard keypad, but it meets all of your other requirements and is a wonderful phone. I would strongly reconsider it...

Yeah I second that. The keypad doesn't take long to get used to, really.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    T610.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Sony Ericsson T68i, it's got all of the features you listed and works nicely with my Mac, it's fairly small, battery lasts for ages.

I know it's a fairly old phone now, but I can't think of anything more I'd want to add to it, you can even by one of them camera add-ons for it, but why people want to do that eludes me.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    SE T610, I have had one for about 2 weeks and is good, camera is a toy , but could have some uses. Works well with iSync over bluetooth.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Treo 600 with Bluetooth SDIO card
  • Reply 11 of 40
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Sony Ericsson T68i, it's got all of the features you listed and works nicely with my Mac, it's fairly small, battery lasts for ages.

I know it's a fairly old phone now, but I can't think of anything more I'd want to add to it, you can even by one of them camera add-ons for it, but why people want to do that eludes me.

I have one and I hate it. The interface crawls, especially when first turned on. The RF reception is ridiculously bad, so if your network is at all flaky you won't get a connection. The only good thing about it is the bluetooth. I am definitely going to ditch it as soon as the Treo 600 comes out...
  • Reply 12 of 40
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

I have one and I hate it. The interface crawls, especially when first turned on. The RF reception is ridiculously bad, so if your network is at all flaky you won't get a connection. The only good thing about it is the bluetooth. I am definitely going to ditch it as soon as the Treo 600 comes out...

I second that. My T68i has the worst reception of all the phones I have owned over the past few years. I originally thought it was my GSM network at fault, but I have since noticed other T68i phones experiencing the same connection problems. Other models like Nokia's and Motorola's work well. I have to wait 3 more months before I can replace it, hopefully the elusive Motorola V600 will be out by then.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    just got my T610 lastnight...this thing better not suck like my T68 did
  • Reply 14 of 40
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Believe it or not, your want for Bluetooth really limits you to the T610, P800, 7650, 3650, or Treo 600. Well, actually, since you want to use 1800MHz, you also have the lovely Nokia 8910i, which is truly a Mac phone if I ever saw one (beautiful, different, industrial design-centric, easy to use, somewhat in the higher price range), though minimal organiser features. And I'm also forgetting about the soon to arrive Samsung SGH-i500 (not to be confused with the much lesser SPH-i500 for CDMA). This triband GSM phone packs Palm OS 5.2, ARM, BT, storage, all sorts of great stuff, including an awesome display and pleasant aesthetics, into a very tiny little package (at least compared to my Kyocera 7135 (cdma ) palmphone). So check it out, too, when it comes around. Not sure if Orange is in your area, but they are great with releasing hot new phones.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    good thing you dont live in japan...otherwise you will have "ZERO" options.

There are absolutely "NO" bluetooth enabled cellphones here...its driving me nuts
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Well the whole T608 fiasco (oh dont get me started!) really put me off. I have decided that a bluetooth phone is just not worth the drama.

That is why I am going with a smartphone. All smartphones sync via Palm Desktop in their cradle. I was GOING to get a T608 and Clie TG50 for email/IM etc, but with a smartphone, is it all in one device, which obivates the need for BT. The only thing is if I wanted a data connection on my LAPTOP, but it isnt often I am somewhere with my laptop and no WiFi.

The Treo 600 is the FIRST smartphone I would consider. It gets most of it right. I think it is only keeping BT-built-in out in the 1st revision so that the update seems superior, but I can always get the SDIO card. The low-res screen is my only complaint (battery life, my ass! I would sooooo sacrifice some battery for a high res screen!), but the rest is perfection.

God I cant wait!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Go for T610.

I've got T616 and it's great.

Works with SonyEricsson Clicker.

I was considering P800, but after seeing what P900 (P810?) will be capable of decided to use T616 until it comes out.

good luck
  • Reply 18 of 40
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Check out this post for Motorola V400, V500, and V600 specs. The phones should all be out in the US in October at the latest. I think they get released in Europe next month.

The V-600 is a quadband phone (GSM 850/900/1800/1900), has bluetooth, a camera, a killer screen, video playback/capture, etc. The only thing missing is irDA, but I have no need for that.

The V-500 is exactly the same, but it doesn't have video playback/capture.

The V-400 is like the V-500 but lacks bluetooth.

These phones are gonna rock
  • Reply 19 of 40
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

Amorya,

Looking at the spec, I think your best bet is the Sony Ericsson T610:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/

I don't have one, but it looks quite good.

I currently own a Nokia 6310i phone - it meets some of your requirements except for the colour screen, and I don't think it will sync using Bluetooth and iSync . Apart from that, it's a fantastic phone and the battery last for eons .

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave.

I have a 6310i and it's great.

I agree with the negative comments about the T68i - I couldn't wait to get rid of that POS and replace it with my Nokia.

As far as syncing goes, the 6810i syncs fine via bluetooth by using OnSync.

It mangles the name a little bit (i.e. Grove Apple Store shows up as Grove (work) Apple Store), but I can live with that instead of having to type hundreds of names and numbers.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    yes its got faults, but i still couldn't live without my p800...