Apple giving into album only demands?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Traffic's On the Road just added to the iTMS can only be purchased as an album. No songs are available individually.

I hope this isnt a trend

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Falls under the "7 minute" rule. Any song over that length can be sold as an album only track.

EDIT: Link added
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    hmm.. weird.... never knew that but certainly seems to be the case
  • Reply 3 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Falls under the "7 minute" rule. Any song over that length can be sold as an album only track.

EDIT: Link added

From the way this is phrased, I wonder if an over-7 minute song has to be sold album-only, or if a record label could opt to allow longer songs to be sold individually if it wanted to.

What I'd really like to know more about is what the deal is with partial albums. When can a partial album be offered, and for how long?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well... this seems obvious, but there are (or at least, were) lots of songs over 7 minutes for sale. I bought a 12 minute song a couple weeks ago.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

From the way this is phrased, I wonder if an over-7 minute song has to be sold album-only, or if a record label could opt to allow longer songs to be sold individually if it wanted to.

What I'd really like to know more about is what the deal is with partial albums. When can a partial album be offered, and for how long?

I'd like to know that too, since the Clash's London Calling is a partial album with a grand total of two songs.

I mean, why bother?