Windows gripes #s 145413, 145414, and 145415

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why does installing MS Money take 20 minutes and 2 restarts? Why don't progress bars actually indicate progress? Why doesn't estimated time remaining operate on a real time basis?

Argghhh. I hate windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Care to list Windows gripes 1-145412?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I have spent this past summer working in a lab with a computer running windows 3.1. You don't realize how bad it used to be. And of course, the piece of software we NEED to run is only for 3.1.

I could go on for hours about how much I hate that piece of sh!t. But, instead I'll happily use my mac and try to forget about it
  • Reply 3 of 53
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    File copying:

Windows Explorer window, "Time remaining: 2 hours --- 11 hours --- 2 fortnights --- 5 minutes --- Done." Actual time:12 minutes.

And downloading via Windows Explorer takes FOREVER. Do the same copy via a DOS box and it flies.

Screed
  • Reply 4 of 53
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I have spent this past summer working in a lab with a computer running windows 3.1.

THAT is a breach of the Geneva Convention, my friend. Dial up the Hague, an atrocity has been inflicted upon you!

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 53
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    When you change your hardware enough and trigger the Windows Product Reactivation dialog. You have to call in and recite a 54-digit code before they reply with a 42-digit reactivation key. Of course they don't trust you at all and if you do end up reactivating your copy of Windows a lot, they just stop reauthorizing you after a while.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    As far as I can tell when browsing the file system with a window there's no way to launch a new window from it. Maybe I missed it.

In OS X is command-n.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    you think there were only 145412 other gripes about windows before?

either you horribly understated ur numbers (heck maybe they are abreviated)

-or-

you are listing ur gripes from 5yrs ago when they were really at this number
  • Reply 8 of 53
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

you think there were only 145412 other gripes about windows before?

either you horribly understated ur numbers (heck maybe they are abreviated)

-or-

you are listing ur gripes from 5yrs ago when they were really at this number

I thought I'd be generous and not include things that work ok but don't work like I think they SHOULD. If I didn't, that number would be easily over 500,000.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

As far as I can tell when browsing the file system with a window there's no way to launch a new window from it. Maybe I missed it.

In OS X is command-n.

Or, for that matter, a new folder. \
  • Reply 10 of 53
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Windows+E opens a new Explorer window.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Why don't progress bars actually indicate progress?

Would you rather have the little OS X progress bars, where everything flies for the first 99% of the bar, and that last little sliver, it's like time gets compressed as it optimizes the Christ out of something.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Why does installing MS Money take 20 minutes and 2 restarts? Why don't progress bars actually indicate progress? Why doesn't estimated time remaining operate on a real time basis?

Argghhh. I hate windows.

Well, that's odd and definitely not the norm. Just last week I installed the newly released MS Money 2004 on my XP Pro machine and the install completed in under 2 minutes and did not need to re-start. Even if it does need a re-start for some older machines, my XP box starts up in less than 30 seconds. Was this an old PC that you've installed it on? Also, OS X has a habit of 'optimizing' for a while during Apple product updates as well, then you need to reboot (and we all know how long THAT takes!)
  • Reply 13 of 53
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I hate how IE requires you to type www and .com/net/etc all the time. In Safari I can just type "google" and it automatically expands that to www.google.com
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

Would you rather have the little OS X progress bars, where everything flies for the first 99% of the bar, and that last little sliver, it's like time gets compressed as it optimizes the Christ out of something.

Nope. I hate progress bars that don't tell you jackshit. Both suck. It doesn't mean I can't gripe about how uninformative they are on Windows. At least they look pretty on OS X (and I can continue using my computer!).
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

Well, that's odd and definitely not the norm. Just last week I installed the newly released MS Money 2004 on my XP Pro machine and the install completed in under 2 minutes and did not need to re-start. Even if it does need a re-start for some older machines, my XP box starts up in less than 30 seconds. Was this an old PC that you've installed it on? Also, OS X has a habit of 'optimizing' for a while during Apple product updates as well, then you need to reboot (and we all know how long THAT takes!)

It was a PIII 733. I think the problem was that it decided I needed to upgrade to IE6. :/ I'm installing a money program but they decide that I have to be upto date on my web browser? Screw the .net functions. I just want something to connect to my bank and balance my checkbook. I Money should do that without installing all that other stuff. I guess that's gripe #145416.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I like how you can CUT and paste files. Not just copy (OS X can do that), but you can actually cut a file, making it transparent. Then paste it where you want it to go and the original disappears. If you copy something else after cutting the original file, the file is restored to its original condition. In OS X you have to copy the file, paste it where you want, and then go back to its original location and delete it. Kinda silly.

However, that's one of the few things I like about Windows.

- I hate how the little window for adjusting the volume doesn't go away

- I hate how the files are organized... if you get an application, you either have to go to the Start menu or find it somewhere in C:/Program Files (which is hidden by default).

- I hate the search feature. Yes, there is a search for files in Windows. And it sucks rocks. Reminds me of Sherlock 2 from OS 9.

- I hate the location of the CTRL key. Why do all keyboard shortcuts use the CTRL key which is farther from the rest of the keyboard than Apple's Command key? Hitting command-C or command-P is much easier than the various hand twists requited to type control-C or control-P.

- I hate how having the Caps Lock on inverts the case of any letter you type. Often, when I type something in all caps, I turn on the caps lock but I habitually hold down Shift for some of the keys anyway. If I were to type the phrase "WARNING" on my Mac, that's what it would look like. If I did so on a PC, it would say "wARNING." That results in extremely annoying questions from Windows users... for example "iM nEW hERE pLZ hELP mEEEE!!!!!!"
  • Reply 17 of 53
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I hate how IE requires you to type www and .com/net/etc all the time. In Safari I can just type "google" and it automatically expands that to www.google.com

I hate that too! There is a way to do it in IE for Windows though. Just hold down the Control key when you hit Enter.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

In OS X is command-n.

right click->explore
    Quote:

ctrl + enter and it will pre/append www. .com It can't do .net .org .edu .gov .ca etc though
  • Reply 19 of 53
    #145417: things just stop working for a while and then decide they will work again. Thinking about my wireless usb adapter right now.

#145418: USB in ME. Isn't plug and play supposed to be better now? Jeez.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, 96% of the world can't be wrong.

[ducks]