I LOVE BitTorrent!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, without venturing to far astray from our posting guidelines, let me just say BT rocks my downloading world!

One question: does the OS X version resume downloads?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes... all you have to do is keep the .torrent file and just double click it again when you want to start it up...

you can also seed completed downloads like this

do you know of any active tracker sites?

they all seem to be down
  • Reply 2 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    What's the feasibility of adding Bit Torrent like capabilities to other programs. Is this tech Open Source or Patented?

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Bit Torrent downloads actually improve in speed with higher numbers of downloaders?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Bit Torrent downloads actually improve in speed with higher numbers of downloaders?

Yupp, that's correct. The more downloaders, the higher is the probability to get stable and high tranfer-rates.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Yupp, that's correct. The more downloaders, the higher is the probability to get stable and high tranfer-rates.

That's what I love about this program. The more popular a download is the faster it is. How's that for turning the file-sharing world upside down?

It's a great technology and it's incredibly smart. I believe it's open source, written in python.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    *looms ominously*
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

*looms ominously*

Nothing to see here, Mr. Panther Pirate. I'm just raving about this program. Nothing illegal. Yet.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Who said I'm a pirate? Can't a university computer science student be an Apple developer too?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Who said I'm a pirate? Can't a university computer science student be an Apple developer too?

I suppose so. We'll keep it clean in here, I promise. Ok, not PROMISE promise, but I won't do anything that you'd have to edit out and post from the ToS with red highlighting for.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    *nod*

For my two cents, I don't like the BitTorrent client for Mac OS X. I used it for about 5 minutes and it maxed out my upstream, putting out well over 1 MB/sec (yes, that's B, not b). That's something that'll throw some red flags after a while at the university networking offices. Needless to say, I closed it and trashed it on the spot. I'm not touching this app again until it at least has some bandwidth restriction controls.

And don't suggest CarraFix. That piece has never worked properly for me since it turned 2.x.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

What's the feasibility of adding Bit Torrent like capabilities to other programs. Is this tech Open Source or Patented?

mlMac combines the goodness of Fasttrack, edonkey, and bit torrent.

More Info
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Brad bitTorrent already has this ability.. Just click the widget to bring down the tool bar.. Works fine for me.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Brad bitTorrent already has this ability.. Just click the widget to bring down the tool bar.. Works fine for me.

Wow. How's that for an undocumented feature? I never knew that. What bad UI design. But it looks like it works for me too.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Yeah I had no idea about it, I never thought to click that button, I read about it someware while looking for torrent trackers. Some one was bitching about being in the same boat as Brad.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

. Some one was bitching about being in the same boat as Brad.

I'd bitch too if I were stuck on a pirate's ship. I just saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" and them pirates were dirty!!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

That's what I love about this program. The more popular a download is the faster it is. How's that for turning the file-sharing world upside down?

The downside of this, of course, is that if you're trying to download something unpopular, you'll have to be veeeery patient. Usually, I've got to switch to something else, like carracho or a gnutella-client...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

The downside of this, of course, is that if you're trying to download something unpopular, you'll have to be veeeery patient. Usually, I've got to switch to something else, like carracho or a gnutella-client...

True, but by that time, what I'm looking for is on the free/less travelled servers and it's easier to get. Ever try getting something popular from carracho? Wow, it's a pain. Free doesn't mean free. Wait times of an eternity and then some... Used with other p2p programs, it's great.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    connected to 203 peers, downloading at a solid 100+KB/s.

All legit software of course
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    first, i'd like to say that i'm impressed at how well this has done without going inot not-so-legal activities

second, thanks tort for starting thise other wise it would be locked if somone else did...they like u

third...how do you find places hosting software (legal of course) with it...i only used it once, and i mean it was awesome as the speed i downloaded it but i have no idea how to find stuff

...and as for the hidden feature to control ur band...well that kinda takes away from part of what makes the program so nice to download with...if you had a program that made cool screen savers would you tell the user about a featuer that makes ugly ones?

(sorry for the horrible example but i have to get back to work and looking over to one of the computers a screen saver was up...one ugly and one good looking as it were)
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

first, i'd like to say that i'm impressed at how well this has done without going inot not-so-legal activities

Me too. Let's try to avoid asking for where to get stuff so that we can keep the thread open. If anyone wants info that shouldn't be posted here, lest we incur the wrath of our Mighty Administrator(s), PM or email me.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    chealionchealion Posts: 16member
    For Warez, BT isn't that great as it holds no anonymity (sp?) like in programs like Kazzaa or other mainstream warez.

BT was designed to assist with large downloads, like say the new Panther build. Apple could have posted a torrent, and what happens is that people download the file from Apple and other people, easing the load on the server considerably. An awesome technology, hijacked by warez providers. (It works, but its nowhere near anonymous, meaning you can be tracked rather easily).