Mac users and PC users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been to the Apple store a number of times and you know what bugs me? Those rich-looking stuck-up people who don't know a thing about technology but since they seem to have money coming out of the wazoo they act like they know more than anyone else in the room.

If you ask me, they're just as bad as those PC dorks I used to see at CompUSA who'd haggle you for the lowest price, try to fake you out by using terminology they found in the latest PC magazine, or ask annoying and silly questions. (e.g. "What IS the internet?")

Annoying customers do NOT discriminate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    well you sure seem like a pleasant fellow!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Ha ha ha ha ha...just giving my observations...besides, I spent $800 to replace my superdrive so it was a bad day...

Also, if you've ever worked in retail like did for 8 months a long long time ago (when the internet was just a baby) experiences like that just don't go away...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Also, if you've ever worked in retail like did for 8 months a long long time ago (when the internet was just a baby) experiences like that just don't go away...

I hate retail people who wont admit when the customer knows more than them and continue to try and act as if they actually know what they are talking about.

Heck, I hate computer retail people in general. They all suck, I've only seen very few who have impressed me, and unfortunately not all of em were from Apple retail stores
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Ha ha ha ha ha...just giving my observations...besides, I spent $800 to replace my superdrive so it was a bad day...

30 years of retail here, and i never met anyone i didn't like.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Heheheh...that's why I got out of retail...even if the customer was dead wrong the "sales associate" had to take the high road and be the better man...

Also, getting $6.25 and hour and explaining to customers (most of which had no clue what they were talking about) how to set up their computers just wasn't cutting it.

Oh it's painful BUT hilarious to listen to computer retail people now that I'm a customer once again!! ha ha ha...just to see if they really know what they'er talking about OR if they're just trying to make a sale...

When I worked in computer retail it pained me to see the sales people trying to convince an unsuspecting customer to buy a Packard Bell..Blahhhhhh....
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Been there ... man the purchasing public suck sometimes.

Mind you i was working in a fishing tackle shop selling maggots and worms by the pint. How do i know it was a pint because every time somebody want some i had stick pint glass into a seething mass of the things fill it and smile at the customer .... moral of the story .... it could be worse .....
  • Reply 7 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    $800 to replace a part that costs ~$200 retail? I believe the correct terminology here is...

0wn3d
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Also, if you've ever worked in retail like did for 8 months a long long time ago (when the internet was just a baby)...

I was on the Internet in 1992
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

I was on the internet in 1992

Well that statment begs the question: Who here was an eWorld member back in '94?

I remember using Applelink on dad's ol' Apple back in da day. Then no dial in service for 2 years and then came our Performa w/ eWorld!

Good Times

Back on topic: Man I was at an Apple store the other day and a guy was walking out with two 23 inch Cinema Displays. Da*n I wish I had that kind of $$$$ to throw around.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    hehe - it's funny you say that because a funny situation just happened to me...

I stepped into a retail store and asked if they had large density firewire tape drives so that the company I am working for can have a semi portable backup of a server.

As he clerk was about to answer some guy (similar to O-Mac's description) walked up and asked - "Why not just back up on a cd?". I answered him with. "We back up about 40 gigs a night".

"Well, why don't you rotate the cds to have that much space?", he asked...

I do a quick calculation in my head:

40,000 MB / 700 MB = 51 CDs...

"Because that would take 50 cd's a night and someone would have to be there to replace them," I said.

Before the employee, who was just looking on, interjected the man asked one final question: "Why not just buy an internal HD for your portable backup?"

BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T BE PORTABLE YOU FREAKING IDIOT! - Well... I didn't really say it in those words, but he quickly left after he proved he was a complete moron.

Thanks for letting me vent.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Well that statment begs the question: Who here was an eWorld member back in '94?

I was!!

My username was cybermarvin. Man those were good times.

Well, I worked at an Apple Store and can tell you that for every story you have of an incompetent retail worker, I have 100 of idiotic customers.