AI Frontpage - Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, the AI front page has a blurb about a wireless keyboard and mouse from Apple. Any thoughts? I'm REALLY concerned about this being a standard... I work in a school... this would never work. Of course I assume that Apple would still provide corded options into the future??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    it looks like a BTO sort of thing. wired devices will be the default for now. and as always schools could order thing slightly diffreently from apple.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Why wouldn't it work in a school? Just don't let the students re-pair the devices and you'd be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think he's referring to the high possibility of the grungy little twerps making off with them by the backpackful (and selling them to other students in the quad during lunch).

"Hey, those new mice we bought...they were just here last period, now they're all gone. Hmmm...well that just really, really sucks."
  • Reply 4 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think he's referring to the high possibility of the grungy little twerps making off with them by the backpackful (and selling them to other students in the quad during lunch).

Not sure if this is possible, but can you make a wireless keyboard and mouse work with only one given computer?

I know this would kind of suck for honest folks. But then again, why would you want to lug a keyboard and mouse anywhere? If you have a desktop, you'd probably keep the set all together, no?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    That reminds me of something I wondered about once...

Is it possible to use your bluetooth enabled laptop or PDA to dial into somebody elses bluetooth cell phone, say if you were sitting behind them on the bus or something ?

I dont own any bluetooth devices but it would be a neat twist on wardriving... I wonder how you could mark the person as an open wireless access point.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Not sure if this is possible, but can you make a wireless keyboard and mouse work with only one given computer?

I hate to say this, but I doubt that'd make much difference. With some people it's often just a matter of something catching their interest... and if it's easy to grab then it likely will be... whether or not the person is likely to profit from it/get any use out of it.

Seen things as silly as the balls out of trackballs stolen. Or rocks... Geological collections tend to disappear over time if they aren't kept under glass. Any sort of manipulative is likely to disappear. And, good lord don't ever set down a good pen at an educational institution... if you plan on keeping it.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Stealing a wired mouse or keyboard is just as easy as stealing a wireless one. USB is not that hard to unplug.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

That reminds me of something I wondered about once...

Is it possible to use your bluetooth enabled laptop or PDA to dial into somebody elses bluetooth cell phone, say if you were sitting behind them on the bus or something ?

I dont own any bluetooth devices but it would be a neat twist on wardriving... I wonder how you could mark the person as an open wireless access point.

What would you then do, recreate the Phone-booth movie?

I think this is a real problem. Do bluetooth phones offer some form of firewall or encryption? In the future one person could create chaos in an airport lounge with hundreds of phones ringing at once, non-stop.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Stealing a wired mouse or keyboard is just as easy as stealing a wireless one. USB is not that hard to unplug.

True.

So my idea of encrypted wireless perhiperhals would be less desirable to steal.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

But that makes it more inticing. They don't want to have to unplug it, a wireless one is just lying there? you think a wireless phone is at an equal risk of being stolen than a corded phone receiver? That's why they keep going missing!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

All the mice and keybords at my college have zip-ties on them. Makes it hard to steel.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Damn. Lost my post.

Summary...

1) Yeah, thefy is the big problem. Cable tying everything down really bites when you need to troubleshoot.

2) The whole bluetooth phone snooping thing is really interesting.. and scary. Hmnnn

3) I love wireless technology. I mean hey.. I was around when the remote for our VCR had a 30 foot cord on it.... BUT besides a living room computer that is connected to your large television... do you really NEED bluetooth keyboards? Mice... maybe.... Just looking for thoughts on this... not a fight! ;-)

4) Batteries... see the other thread in this forum on this issue!!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 14 of 20
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    I think wireless is the only way to go with anything. I can't see why wired comes even close to being better than wireless. I can see your concerns in a public environment, but lets face it people, its just as easy to steal a wired mouse as it is to take a wireless. Especially, when it comes to Macs. The mouse isn't even connected to the back of the computer, its right in the front connected to the keyboard, and it has a short cord to boot.

My school uses all Macinstosh computers with Pro Keyboards and Mice, and there's no problem with stealing. Plus, it's pretty easy to see if a kid was just using a computer, then he leaves and the mouse is gone.

That encryption thing would probably be a good idea for public places like that. They could be specially ordered through Apple. Each mouse would only work on the computer it came with. So there would be aboslutely no reason to steal them, unless your just a retard and steal things for fun, and lets hope there aren't too many of those around. Plus, if your that stupid you'll probably get caught eventually.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, the article states that this new wireless stuff would not ship standard for a good 12 months.

Another revenue stream for Apple. No need for them to update the crap KB and mouse they already have. People may flock in droves for this new stuff. I know I want one for my new G5.

I suspect Apple will still hold on to the current KB and mouse even when machines ship with the bluetooth stuff. Schools would have an option of what they would want. In fact, the eMacs may just keep the wired stuff altogether.

Just my 2 pennies.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    zoozx27zoozx27 Posts: 88member
    I can't see this not being standard for the top of the line G5 from the get go.

Places like Mac mall, Mac zone, mac connection, Best buy would not be able to offer this if it was a build feature. Apple to date is the only way to buy to build and everyone would want it.

Yes bluetooth is now listed as optional but apple is going to move in this direction so why not include it. Plus the logistics of boxing storing, filling orders to switch out keyboards and mice would be a nightmare for little profit.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I know this would kind of suck for honest folks. But then again, why would you want to lug a keyboard and mouse anywhere? If you have a desktop, you'd probably keep the set all together, no?

That's just too Microsoft.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

"Hey, those new mice we bought...they were just here last period, now they're all gone. Hmmm...well that just really, really sucks."

They're useless without the base stations/reciever things that I presume are plugged in via USB, and since you have to unplug the USB, that doesn't make the wireless ones any easier to steal, unless the Macs have internal BT modules.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Just secure the mouse to the keyboard with a slim steel cable.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Just secure the mouse to the keyboard with a slim steel cable.

And to save on batteries, you could make the cable into insulated strands and send signals to the computer down it.