iTunes 4, Parties, Scripting??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, question from a recent switcher coming up so be gentle please!

Yeah, so I've had my PB12 for about a two months now. My flatmates and I have decided to have party in a months time and I've offered my PB as the jukebox (btw it plays through a sony MHC-EX50 amp and Kef Coda speakers @ AAC 160kpbs and sounds great!!).

We want to go for an interactive approach to the party playlist - that is party guests can decide the playlist. I'm going to rig up an 18" NEC flatpael to the PB as the user interface - so, a big screen coupled with apple user friendliness a-la iTunes should be a great advertisment for apple.

So anyway, crux of the problem is this: as i said before, i want guests to be able to add to the playlist. Easy! But, i want the songs to drop from the playlist after playing. AND, if theres nothing in the playlist i want iTunes to select randomly from my entire library until someone puts something in the party playlist.

Does that make sense? I guess some smart cookie could write a script for this, or suggest a solution. Only having having been an apple user for two months now i have no idea how to do this. So, if theres shareware out there could you point me in the write direction, or if theres anybody out there who wants some scripting (can this be done!?) practice please help me!

Thanks

david

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Take a look at this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=169162

It's a work in progress and perhaps he can implement your wishes.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    david101david101 Posts: 73member
    thanks for the reply, but it's not quite what i;m after.

to whit: the programme takes over my whole machine i.e no desktop visible (changing desktop is a major party plus point) and theres no way to force quit the app without a restart. Otherwise seems fine!

any more suggestions greatly appreciated!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

theres no way to force quit the app without a restart.

Cmd-Q works fine here.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rara Posts: 623member
    Make sure that if you use the iTMS that you log out before the party... don't want people buying music on your account.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    david101david101 Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Make sure that if you use the iTMS that you log out before the party... don't want people buying music on your account.

Ha ha, thats fine - the ITMS doesn't work over here in the UK yet!

I think i'll just set up a party playlist that plays in random order and just let people add to the list.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

thanks for the reply, but it's not quite what i;m after.

to whit: the programme takes over my whole machine i.e no desktop visible (changing desktop is a major party plus point) and theres no way to force quit the app without a restart. Otherwise seems fine!

any more suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hmmm. Well iTunes is certainly scriptable, with iTunes, CGI or Perl.

Apple has a few AppleScripts here and there's a site here with some scripts. I'm not sure if they offer quite what you want though. Some nice ideas though, deletion from playlist after being played and random selection of a song if no songs left in playlist.

There's a good section on scripting iTunes in the O'Reilly book "Mac OS X Hacks" which outlines setting up a web interface to iTunes and more.