Gaming OS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which is better for games. Win XP Home, or pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I've heard that it doesn't really matter which one you get. Don't quote me on this though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    For gaming I can't see there being any difference at all. I would get Pro because... it's Professional.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    John Carmack, co-founder of id, says it's Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Which is better for games. Win XP Home, or pro?

Gamecube, PS2, and or x-box...

cheaper too
  • Reply 5 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if this helps any.

home is built off of ME

pro is built off of 2k. at least that's my understanding.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    nah... they are both built off of 2k

pro just has all the features home is neutered a bit so M$ can get some more dough...

ps a lot of colleges REQUIRE pro in order to hookup to their network...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

at least that's my understanding.

Uh, no. Sorry.

Home and Pro are nearly the same exact OS built from the NT branch (ala Windows 2000). The difference between the two is not unlike the difference between Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server. Home is simply a crippled version of Pro. For example, Home can't support multiple processors but Pro can.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    XP home and pro are both based off of 2000 (which was based off of NT) and are both suitable for running games. I think home is cheaper and might have a slightly different accompanyment of software. I think 2000 is the best because its quite solid and doesnt require you too jump through hoops should the situation arrise.

Of course you could always do the world a favour and install Linux on your PC, I think Gentoo is the best.

Oh I see everyone beat me to the punch. Also Linux is fun but its no substitute for OS X when it comes to productivity.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

cheaper too

Gets my vote too
  • Reply 10 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

cheaper too

i'm a GC fan, but i have to say the crappy tv resolution is really limiting. i would kill to be able to play NCAA '04 with the ease and low-cost of a GC, but with the resolution of my 17" flat CRT.

take metroid, for example. the gadgets and tools and other necessary in-game info take up 1/3 of the screen, leaving only 2/3 for actual combat. kind of goony. can't wait until we all get HD. anyone play the systems on HD? how is it?