Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Just out of curiosity (I don't use classic very often); how does classic apps perform now (how Snappy?), when the environment is double-buffered? Does it have any impact on performance, or is this just a win-win feature?
  • Reply 162 of 1176
    have to agree with millhouse - 7B21 is way buggier than 7A*. Apple clearly spent lots of time rounding off 7A21 for WWDC and did a v good job. 7B21 is more experimental I think ( there were good builds and bad builds of jag too).

Roll on the next update. Given the quality of 7A21 still think we'll see Panther in September.
  • Reply 163 of 1176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

Hey. At least we Mac users are smart enough to know that a SIT or HQX is Stuffit and our computers usually come with the tools to open them as well as ZIP files. Windows doesn't. The only good reason for Stuffit now is to provide OS 7-9 compatability.

Still, I'd rather have an option. I mentioned before why.

HQX is not StuffIt. It's not compression at all, just encoding for resource forks.
  • Reply 164 of 1176
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    1. Are there any new formats for printing iCal Calendars, ie. Franklin Planner or Day Timer formats? Or can you Export... to other formats?

2. Are the buttons to the right on the Cocoa Font Panel Toolbar built in Drop Shadow effects?
  • Reply 165 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by imho

2. Are the buttons to the right on the Cocoa Font Panel Toolbar built in Drop Shadow effects?

Yes, and the effect look really good.

P.
  • Reply 166 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by imho

1. Are there any new formats for printing iCal Calendars, ie. Franklin Planner or Day Timer formats? Or can you Export... to other formats?

1. Nope, no new export formats. Remember, folks, that this isn't a "whole integer" update to iCal. On the whole, it only has minor interface changes so far.

2 TextEdit - Shadow Effects
  • Reply 167 of 1176
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

Yes, and the effect look really good.

P.

no, they are technically good, but visually awful...
  • Reply 168 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BaxterG4

I'm on a 12" PB, too and am getting a crash after opening Address Book as well. If you look at the stack trace, it's crashing after IOBluetoothLocalDeviceAvailable... I've tried it with BT on and off and it fails the same way each time.

That's what I thought was happening, too. Too bad I can't send a bug report to Apple. I hope someone will.
  • Reply 169 of 1176
    Check out Print Center (Centre) - you can make any printer a Desktop Printer, and there's a 'Pool Printers' option as well.
  • Reply 170 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

Check out Print Center (Centre) - you can make any printer a Desktop Printer, and there's a 'Pool Printers' option as well.

You mean Dock Printer, right?

What does "Pool Printers" do?
  • Reply 171 of 1176
    iljailja Posts: 3member
    What is springloaded?
  • Reply 172 of 1176
    re: using Exposé to drag and drop to a folder... This actually works for me. What I'm doing:

1. Finder window is open, with 2 photoshp documents inside of it.

2. I select and drag one of the documents to the Exposé desktop corner (in my case, the bottom right).

3. Once the windows are all out of the way (and actually, semi-visible at the edges, unlike te original Panther release where all windows were simply off of the screen), I continue to drag the file to the hard drive icon. I get the plus icon modifier, as i'm copying the file from another drive.

4. I wait until the spring-loaded action starts, and can navigate my way around until I find the folder I want to put the file into.

This works for me. I'm confused as to why the other user would get a circle/line icon modifier instead of the plus. Or is this not what you asked?
  • Reply 173 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ilja

What is springloaded?

Basically whatever you're hovering a file over just opens up in front of you, while you're still dragging the file. For example, in the Finder, there's spring-loaded folders.

Anyway, it seems like the Panther builds are looking better and better. I'm coming back here everyday to see if the final release may come out to be something that I'd buy.
  • Reply 174 of 1176
    Quote:

I'm coming back here everyday to see if the final release may come out to be something that I'd buy.

Hell, I'd have paid 1/2 price for the "buggy" developer builds.
  • Reply 175 of 1176
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alternatekev

re: using Exposé to drag and drop to a folder... This actually works for me. What I'm doing:

1. Finder window is open, with 2 photoshp documents inside of it.

2. I select and drag one of the documents to the Exposé desktop corner (in my case, the bottom right).

3. Once the windows are all out of the way (and actually, semi-visible at the edges, unlike te original Panther release where all windows were simply off of the screen), I continue to drag the file to the hard drive icon. I get the plus icon modifier, as i'm copying the file from another drive.

4. I wait until the spring-loaded action starts, and can navigate my way around until I find the folder I want to put the file into.

This works for me. I'm confused as to why the other user would get a circle/line icon modifier instead of the plus. Or is this not what you asked?

No, that's exactly what I asked. I'm really happy to hear that this works - thank you!

Re: those semi-visible windows at the edges in 3. above, can you drag to one of those windows? What happens?
  • Reply 176 of 1176
    the semi-visible windows dont really do anything when dragging files... they dont respond at all. however, if you havent started dragging anything, clicking on any of them will bring all the windows back, but indiscriminately... clicking on one doesnt bring that one to the front.
  • Reply 177 of 1176
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

2) I have a bunch of windows open on the screen, and frontmost is a finder window. Can I complete a drag-drop operation by dragging a file to the 'Exposé desktop' corner, hovering over my hard drive, then navigating via spring-loaded folders to a location nested within?

Yes. I just did it. Undo works for that copy operation too.
  • Reply 178 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alternatekev

Hell, I'd have paid 1/2 price for the "buggy" developer builds.

What do they do anyway? Do they just expand on Jaguar or do they rewrite some things to work better? And is half price half of what Jaguar costed?

I dunno about Expose..I don't think I've ever tried anything like it. However, it probably would be useful. Maybe they should spend a little time on interface customization, but that's just my opinion.
  • Reply 179 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

What do they do anyway? Do they just expand on Jaguar or do they rewrite some things to work better? And is half price half of what Jaguar costed?

Well, new features (Exposé, fast user switching, new open/save dialogs, built-in faxing) and new apps (iChat AV, Font Book, Activity Monitor, etc) expand on Jaguar's feature set. But also many, many components of the OS and apps have also been revised or rewritten. Not to mention the reports of improved UI responsiveness.

altkev was just saying that he'd easily pay $65 just for the Panther dev builds, as there's so much that's been improved. I wouldn't expect Panther to cost anything less than full price.

Anyway -- just read, and look at the screenshots, in this thread and the previous WWDC build thread. It appears that nearly every part of the OS has been updated to some degree.

Quote:

I dunno about Expose..I don't think I've ever tried anything like it. However, it probably would be useful.

Well, that's not a surprising reaction to an innovative feature, eh? All I can say is every bone in my body says that Exposé will be very, very useful for me.
  • Reply 180 of 1176
    cjm0812cjm0812 Posts: 4member
    anyone have a quick list of major apps that are broken right now in panther? Do most 10.2 apps work normally?