High quality printer sugestions?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok so I need to get a nice printer for work with osx support. Basically I want something that's able to do bigger than 8.5x11, real good profesional quality, full bleed, and decent in the speed catagory. This will be used to print all sorts of design work, brochures, postcards, etc. Also occasionally I will want to do large runs on it, for example the first project i want to do on it has a quanity of 2200. My budget tops out at around $1800.

I found this and it looks real sweet, and goes for about $1800.

canon imagePROGRAF W2200

Anybody have any experience with this printer or know of any other good ones?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    The Canon you linked to didn't seem to support OSX...I'm also not sure if you need Postscript capabilities which it also didn't seem to have.

One you might consider is an HP 50PS with a RIP device.

http://www.designjet.hp.com/unreg_pr...geseq=93334273
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    yea it supports OSX, they have the driver on the support page, and it includes instructions for osx in the manual. A side note, I called Canon asking about where I can check out the printer. There is not a single place in all of NYC kinda dumb especially since Canons based in New York.

That hp's a bit more than I need. I'm looking for something more like the hp designjet 120 printer series

thanks though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'm kinda new this high level printing stuff, how is this Best Designer Edition Rip for OSX.

Or if you know of any other

Technically I can use printers with out a rip, but it improves color correctness etc. when you use one. Is this correct?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I bought a Epson 2200 a few days ago and love it. I held my origonal next to my print and the print looks better (Mostly because of the unsharp mask I applied) but the colors were dead-on.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

I'm kinda new this high level printing stuff, how is this Best Designer Edition Rip for OSX.

Or if you know of any other

Technically I can use printers with out a rip, but it improves color correctness etc. when you use one. Is this correct?

Without a rip, vector images will be grainy and bitmapped, as what will print will only be the low-res image preview.

One way to get around this is to output a PDF, and print from Acrobat. For best results, use Distiller, not the PDF preview in OS X.

I believe (not positive, though) that most of the high-end Epson printers might come with Epson's RIP software included as a part of the software package.

Here's a

link to an article discussing different RIPs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks, Iv'e been doing a bit of research and think I understand it now. This is all making my head hurt but its fun learning all this stuff. I'm going to look at the canon tommorow. These guys look like they have good rip software for osx http://proofmaster.net/

The only thing with something like the Epson 3000 is it looks like it doesn't fully support OSX