G5 Price Drop--Government Employee Store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It seems the price for G5's for government employees has just been dropped to $1 more than the recently lowered education prices. This change affects existing orders as well as new orders. The ship dates have not changed, however.

NOTE: You do not have to be a government employee to take advantage of this. From Apple's Terms and Conditions page ( http://www.apple.com/r/store/governm...ppolicies.html ):

Quote:

Personal Discount: You may purchase or "sponsor" up to six system bundles each calendar year (January 1-December 31). "Sponsoring" means placing an order for a family member or friend.

So you just have to get a friend who is a government employee to sponsor your purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

It seems the price for G5's for government employees has just been dropped to $1 more than the recently lowered education prices. This change affects existing orders as well as new orders. The ship dates have not changed, however.

NOTE: You do not have to be a government employee to take advantage of this. From Apple's Terms and Conditions page ( http://www.apple.com/r/store/governm...ppolicies.html ):

So you just have to get a friend who is a government employee to sponsor your purchase.

Is there anyway a high school teacher can "sponsor" his brother-in-law w/ an educational discount?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FauxCaster

Is there anyway a high school teacher can "sponsor" his brother-in-law w/ an educational discount?

Orders from the educational store cannot be sponsored, it seems. However, a high school teacher should qualify for the State & Local Government Employee Purchase Store (which allows sponsoring), I would think. I would recommend you check with Apple first, though.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

Orders from the educational store cannot be sponsored, it seems. However, a high school teacher should qualify for the State & Local Government Employee Purchase Store (which allows sponsoring), I would think. I would recommend you check with Apple first, though.

Thanks for the tip, looking good so far.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gigawiregigawire Posts: 196member
    Let this thread know because i always wondered whether govt. paid teachers were considered govt. employees by apple.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FauxCaster

My mom, an educator, 'sponsored' my dad's new G4, and will be sponsoring my G5. The thing is, you don't need to be sponsored, per se, you just need to get the person to buy the Mac, and then pay them the money they spent on it.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Right, but even if you do that, she can only purchase one computer per year... If she's listed as a gov't employee, she can do it six times over every year.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Man, I wish I knew about this program last week. I just purchased a 17 powerbook at regular price.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

My mom, an educator, 'sponsored' my dad's new G4, and will be sponsoring my G5. The thing is, you don't need to be sponsored, per se, you just need to get the person to buy the Mac, and then pay them the money they spent on it.

How does Apple verify education purchases?

When the computer is registered, does it have to be registered in that persons name as well?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    It's verified at purchase time, not at registration. Anybody can register an educationally-purchased item.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

It's verified at purchase time, not at registration. Anybody can register an educationally-purchased item.

How is it verfied if you can go to the education store online and just order?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering.

I went into an Apple store today and purchased a G5. The store employee went to the education store online and placed the order with me. Never asked to see any student ID or anything. When I asked him about it he said, Apple has ways of verifying it.

Well the only way I know of them verifying is when the machine is registered.

I bought it for my son, for school, but want to register it in my name.

I just don't want any hassles later.

Of course the Apple employee could have just been saying that too.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I believe you usually have to fax them your student ID (for college students), or be ordering through a college website's Apple store which in turn cross-references your name with their enrollment database. For teachers and K-12 students, I don't know. Perhaps it's just a honor system. That would make sense with Apple, seeing as those of us who use their products are on the more sensible end of the scale of mankind.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I believe you usually have to fax them your student ID (for college students), or be ordering through a college website's Apple store which in turn cross-references your name with their enrollment database. For teachers and K-12 students, I don't know. Perhaps it's just a honor system. That would make sense with Apple, seeing as those of us who use their products are on the more sensible end of the scale of mankind.

Well they ask what school you are from under the K-12 heading, so I imagine it's a similar process. I know Apple doesn't check everyone for the Student Dev Discount to see if they are really in school, so Apple probably doesn't check everyone in this case.